Sign in to follow this  
captain emo

Call me a cynic

captain emo

Call me cynic but am I the only one who gets a bad taste in their mouth when they see not one but two auctions, both offered by the same seller, with the current top bids being held by bidders who joined within the last 24 hours.

This may be a pure coincidence but it smells like shill bidder to me.

Now I understand that this sort of thing can be reported but in the interim the dilema is do you bid or avoid like the plague. If you choose to bid and shill bidding is found later its a mission to then get the unnecessary excess paid back from the seller. I mean sure Bob could blacklist them but at the end of the day they still have your excess money and short of instituting legal action there isnt a hell of a lot Bob or you can do to get the money back.

I dont know how other users feel about it but I think Bob should institute something like FICA where a person cannot just open an account in one day but rather should have to submit some sort of documentation proving where you live and your real name. It shouldnt be enough to just state that you live in Pofadder or Durban. Bob operates largely on trust I understand but unfortunately some people shouldn't be trusted to leave the house unattended much less have an account (or multiple accounts as the case may be) on BoB.

Just Beachin

Seriously, if you want it that bad, bid. If the price is to high, don't bid, if a shiller is involved, it will come out in the wash. Ultimately, bidorbuy is a company making money on the sales of items, and won't step in, if they are making money....sorry to say. When you sign up, you do go through a identity process so a rica, fica and any other unnecessary paperwork is not cost worthy or necessary. If you have more that one identity number so will the bad guys. Ultimately if it doesn't sell, nobody makes money, if the seller sells it to a shiller, bob still get it's cut. Play smart!

Not1CentMore

IMHO...

BoB spends an enormous amount of monies on advertising and I am 'thinking' they get a 'bang for their buck' (new Buyers and Sellers). If the advertising was not cost effective, they would find another 'place' for the money....like under their pillow. No business can survive if they 'throw the baby out with the bath water'.

Most Sellers are 'straight up straight'. If they aren't, well, BoB has an answer for that and it can be found at the end of their pant leg: the boot. BoB also has a wonderful UNPAID support system of reputable Sellers who kinda / sorta keep an eye out for rogue Sellers. These 'sorts' leave a 'bad taste in the mouth' of us who 'play by the rules'. Simply put, we don't want or need 'their kind' on BoB.

If shill bidding is suspected, report it, don't just 'sit in the juices and stir'. It will be investigated. It may take some time. BoB's staff doesn't sit around all day 'twiddling their thumbs'. They are 'dog-chase-tail' busy with an unbelievable amount of day-to-day plus the inevitable 'monkey wrench' that gets 'tossed into the mess': phone / power outage, computer issues and security; not to mention the phone calls, email and questions, questions, questions... They may not be able to do everything 'at the speed of light', but they DO get it done.

Bottom line: If the Seller has been 'around the block' for a while and is in 'good standing', bid on the item up to the amount you are willing to spend. If you don't feel comfortable bidding....don't. If you suspect shill bidding, report it and walk away. Less grey hair and ulcers that way.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore