Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

Antique AND collectable categories

Vegar    10
Vegar

I see that the discussion on separating ANTIQUE and COLLECTABLE items went nowhere.

I think that TRUE antiques should be in a separate category. By true antiques I mean the certified real deal more than 100 years old stuff. It should include all antique items from art to toys.

Vintage and collectables would then include all the china, 20th century 'period' odd ornaments and contraptions which people collect.

I sell vintage stuff which is mostly listed in antique and collectable items. Recently I sold an item dating from the 1960's (cigarette case) and the buyer complained that it is not an antique and that I had misled him by listing it in that category. I never claimed it was an antique and he knew exactly what he was buying yet he felt misled.

This will also spare those who are seeking treasures from having to trawl through newer stuff.

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

If age made something valuable, I would be soooo precious! The truth is you need to list everything telling all, warts and as much "providence" (history) as you can. The complainers will always be around, but if they can't fault you on description, you can proudly say you did your part. I know some times it doesn't seem like the profit is worth the hassle, but at the end of the day it's you, you have to live with :angel: I love antiques and collectibles and I listen to a radio show you might like called "watcha got" on gcnlive.com and you can download from the archive files, and no I have no vested interest I just wanted to share what I know:wink:

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

"Include all antique items from art to "Tooooooooooooooooooooys." Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

Even the antique and collectors column which refers users to "Related items" does not mention "Tooooooooooooooys":wub: