Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

bidorbuy website down

Cali Craft and Gems

Been trying to get onto BoB for the last hour or so from the shop pc and it won't open at all.

Is Thursday becoming a regular day for problems?

RAG Auctioneers

Looks like the entire site is down.

Just Beachin

I think us lucky ones are the ones who had the forum open in another tab! somethings working though, I am getting my emails that say - no sale no sale no sale no sale

RAG Auctioneers

I searched "Bidorbuy forum" in google to get here. lol.

kebs

So glad it's not just me!

qball

We have been hit with a Denial of Service attack on our main site, our tech guys are busy working on it to resolve it.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Just Beachin

OK, now we know there is at least 3 of us left on this planet.......what should we do?

Cali Craft and Gems

I also could only get this far by searching on Google for the forum - or I'd still be left in the dark!

Sure hope this gets fixed asap... or it will be another weekend without specials!

kebs
OK, now we know there is at least 3 of us left on this planet.......what should we do?

Sit back, relax, & play PS3... :wink:

DIY PRODUCTS

I feel really bad about the tounge lashing I just gave the guys at CellC about their rubbish coverage and how I cant even open the site that provides me my bread and butter!!:unsure:

Note to self...Check facts (and the forum) before flying off the handle...

DIY PRODUCTS

Lol..on a lighter note though...

I am also willing to bet that there's an overly suspicious bidder out there getting more and more irrate with every access attempt.

I bid, I won, I paid....and then the whole site dissapeared!!!

wayjen

This is most frustrating indeed. I miss refreshing my sales page in the hope that someone made an error and bid on something of mine.

DIY PRODUCTS
This is most frustrating indeed. I miss refreshing my sales page in the hope that someone made an error and bid on something of mine.

Then you could get this email 2 mins after it closed:biggrin:

Good day seller

My Computer had a fault on and I accidentally bid on your item instead of the one after your product.

With this mail I am asking if you can please repost your product. Due to a fault on my side. And I won't be able to buy the product from you.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. And hope that every thing is in order.

Kind regards

RAG Auctioneers

Surely Dos attacks are well planned and organized.

Why would someone want to hit Bidorbuy?

wayjen

Then you could get this email 2 mins after it closed:biggrin:

Good day seller

My Computer had a fault on and I accidentally bid on your item instead of the one after your product.

With this mail I am asking if you can please repost your product. Due to a fault on my side. And I won't be able to buy the product from you.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. And hope that every thing is in order.

Kind regards

Well we do know that BoB went down so they might have a point or it could be coincidence or just plain storytelling.

Just Beachin

I think that if they were cool enough to try to square it with you, that you should just relist, file a mutual SNC and put it behind you, who knows this buyer may feel so relieved that they feel comfortable to shop at your store in the future...and if nothing else it's good karma:bigsmile:

Lukeness

Probably just to prove that they can

DIY PRODUCTS

I just googled a DOS attack and fell over laughing at this...

Reasons that a hacker might want to resort to DoS might include the following:

The hacker isn't a hacker at all, but a pissed off lamer who has a poor outlook and too much free time.

oaks and acorns

Don't be ridiculous, chaps. Didn't you read what the man wrote yesterday... "bob spends millions to attract new users to the site every day"

Hugely increased numbers of visitors to the site and something has to crash, eventually.

MacMuffin

Hi all,

we are really sorry about the uptime issues this afternoon. From around 14:30 this afternoon our infrastructure was hit by a massive DDOS (distributed denial of service attack) which flooded our network infrastructure and loadbalancers. At it's peak we experienced 300,000 (we do about 20,000/sec normally) requests per second and this knocked our servers off the network.

It has taken some time to stabilise traffic, but it is certainly an orchestrated and malicious attack to flood our servers and prevent us from serving regular traffic.

Just to assure everyone - no security was breached, this was an attempt to flood our servers with traffic to crash them or deny regular service. We have engineers from Internet Solutions as well as our own IT staff monitoring the situation and taking corrective action to reduce impact.

Our sites are functioning at the moment despite still receive a massive amount of garbage traffic.

We did extend trades close-time to 11pm tonight to provide buyers with more time.

amcintyre

My thoughts exactly! Wikipedia states that DOS attacks are normally on high profile web servers and credit card gateways - I had to look up DOS attacks as I have never heard of them. Why attack BOB? It's not like attacking them achieves anything as BOB reprsents thousands of buyers and sellers, not only one person.

Vinyl Lady Decals

It just shows you, BoB has become high profile enough and a popular enough site for someone or a group of someones to make the effort. We have definitely joined the global village.

MacMuffin
It just shows you, BoB has become high profile enough and a popular enough site for someone or a group of someones to make the effort. We have definitely joined the global village.

we all here in the office prefer to rather live in the small dorpie ;-)

we still have issues, but everything functions reasonable well and engineers are actively monitoring our infrastructure... it will hopefully blow over soon and we will introduce more permanent prevention mechanisms tomorrow...

RAG Auctioneers
we all here in the office prefer to rather live in the small dorpie ;-)

we still have issues, but everything functions reasonable well and engineers are actively monitoring our infrastructure... it will hopefully blow over soon and we will introduce more permanent prevention mechanisms tomorrow...

Good job.

oaks and acorns

I'm really having trouble buying some of this. So you guys are saying that the ISP didn't have the required firewalls/switches/routers/front end hardware (there are over 25 bandwidth management vendors available), etc. in place to safeguard a site of this nature from this type of attack? Oh well, guess tomorrow is as good a day as any to start implementing them.

Admittedly I don't know much (nothing actually) about this stuff but there is lots out there regarding, and it really would have felt more comfortable had it actually been just a case of an overwhelmingly successful marketing campaign.

Wishful thinking versus reality, of course.

Edited by oaks and acorns