Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

Who Is Minding The Store?

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Or, should I ask: Who is minding SA Customs?

I posted a parcel to a Buyer USPS Global Priority. Parcel arrived in SA Customs, but Customs will not release for delivery without the following info:

1. Tracking number

2. Name / Address from where shipped

3. Name / Address to where shipped

4. Contents

5. Value in USD

Parcel is addressed to Buyer at Buyer's physical address. My name and address is in the upper left hand corner. The other info is neatly printed on the (pre-numbered) US Customs Manifest which is attached to parcel; taped over in clear tape so as not to fall off. Copy of US Customs Manifest scanned and sent to Buyer via email so he can fax to SA Customs.

What am I missing here? Can someone please 'fill me in'? (or, perhaps like most of our government employees: brain damaged - a coffee cup has a higher IQ).

Ruthie

wayjen    10
wayjen

We have blind people working there Ruthie you need to print the labels in braille next time but if you really want to mess with their brains, just send over a cheese grater and don't put it in a box cause they need to feel the bumps.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Ruthie, our customs departments don't know their a** from their elbow, quite frankly.

Sometimes we pay heavy duties on gifts received; other times expensive items are received without a cent being paid.

I doubt there is anyone (not even the expert importers and exporter shipping agents) who have much of a clue about the way the SA customs operate.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
Ruthie, our customs departments don't know their a** from their elbow, quite frankly.

Hmmm... could be 'interesting' at the dinner table :whistling:.

Ruthie

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

My standard procedure when Cape Mail/Customs notifies me of a parcel to be collected:

Email them the actual invoice and PayPal or Credit Card Payment. Clearly shown must be senders details and costs of item/s and postage - shown seperately.

They then do their calcultions and email me back. I drive off to Cape Mail in Epping to collect. (they used to deliver to our local post office but I had 2 parcels lost this way so rather leave it at customs - much safer).

In this case, all parcels were addressed to my home address. Yes I agree, it's a major schlep....worse of all....the actual invoice is in the box:cry:so they basically double check to see you're not cheating.

wayjen    10
wayjen
My standard procedure when Cape Mail/Customs notifies me of a parcel to be collected:

Email them the actual invoice and PayPal or Credit Card Payment. Clearly shown must be senders details and costs of item/s and postage - shown seperately.

They then do their calcultions and email me back. I drive off to Cape Mail in Epping to collect. (they used to deliver to our local post office but I had 2 parcels lost this way so rather leave it at customs - much safer).

In this case, all parcels were addressed to my home address. Yes I agree, it's a major schlep....worse of all....the actual invoice is in the box:cry:so they basically double check to see you're not cheating.

I mentioned it before but out of a dozen parcels coming to us from USA we have only had to pay once and they were all delivered to our front door.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I have experienced the weirdest of things with our customs department with incoming parcels.

From the same supplier, I can get nailed with fees of anything from 14% (tax only) up to 48% - all depends on "who" is doing the paperwork.

Received a small / light low value parcel once where the sender labelled the package as "Craft" (which it was - beads). Customs charged me for "Water Craft" and the fees were more than double the value of the parcel. (seriously, a water craft or boat in a tiny envelope?)

Currently waiting on a parcel from USA also via USPS. Should have taken an average of under 10 days to get to me, yet can take anything up to four months - as per previous experience with a "priority" parcel!

I guess that at the end of the day one just has to hope for the best with regards to who handles your parcel. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you get nailed!

wayjen    10
wayjen
I have experienced the weirdest of things with our customs department with incoming parcels.

From the same supplier, I can get nailed with fees of anything from 14% (tax only) up to 48% - all depends on "who" is doing the paperwork.

Received a small / light low value parcel once where the sender labelled the package as "Craft" (which it was - beads). Customs charged me for "Water Craft" and the fees were more than double the value of the parcel. (seriously, a water craft or boat in a tiny envelope?)

Currently waiting on a parcel from USA also via USPS. Should have taken an average of under 10 days to get to me, yet can take anything up to four months - as per previous experience with a "priority" parcel!

I guess that at the end of the day one just has to hope for the best with regards to who handles your parcel. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you get nailed!

When our daughter sends stuff via USPS I track it with an Apple App on my ipod and I can follow it from the counter in Boca Raton to my door and I can track parcels from here to there too so I can warn her to be on the look out and at any stage I can do a screenshot as proof that the item has been scanned somewhere.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

What is an ipod? :shock:

(No, I haven't got one yet!)

wayjen    10
wayjen
What is an ipod? :shock:

(No, I haven't got one yet!)

It's a container of solution where you put your false eye in before beddy byes.

It's like a iphone but not a phone more a media type player thingy.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Only you would know that, Wayne. I've never had a false eye so I am totally ignorant about such things. (I didn't even notice yours when we met two years ago!) :cool:

wayjen    10
wayjen
Only you would know that, Wayne. I've never had a false eye so I am totally ignorant about such things. (I didn't even notice yours when we met two years ago!) :cool:

did you know my eyes met across a stuffy nose?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
did you know my eyes met across a stuffy nose?

In one nostril and out the other, so to speak?