Sign in to follow this  
Nozy Dragonfly

Suspicious Bidder Blacklisted.

Nozy Dragonfly    10
Nozy Dragonfly

I had an auction open on yesterday's Crazy Wednesday - auction.

I suspected that a bidder mohlotsane was not legit, and phoned Bidorbuy at 17:50 and spoke to Derrick. He said that he will ask the Security Department to check out the bidder. It seems that my suspisions were correct as the bidder got blacklisted.

My problem is this: The current bid on the auction prior to the bidder getting blacklisted was R135, 00. After the bidder got blacklisted, the bid fell back to R1, 00 and it was also sold at that low price. Why did the bid price not go back to what the "legal bidder" was prepared to pay?

I will still honor the sale, but am not happy as I think that it would only have been fair for the bid price to return back to what the previous bidder was willing to pay.

qball    10
qball

Each bidder is responsible and legally bound to their bid that they make, we cannot make another bidders bid R135 if he did not bid R135, that is not legal.

Nozy Dragonfly    10
Nozy Dragonfly

Dear Sir,

The "legal bidder" did bid up to R135 by himself. He was outbid by a "time-waster."

I could understand if the bid fell back to R1,00 if I was guilty of shill bidding or any other foul play, but in this case I reported the suspicious bidder on my own auction.

Surely then the bids placed by the "legal bidder" should stand?

qball    10
qball

I am afraid you are mistaken. The first bidder had a bid of R1 with an auto bid limit of R130, as the time waster was pushing the price up, the other bidder's bid would have increased to R130 as that was his auto bid limit. His actual bid at the time was R1, but due to the other bidders increasing bids his bid was also pushed up, and in effect, unfairly influenced by the time waster, if it weren't for the other bidder, his bid would have won the auction at R1 and not R135. Once we removed all bids by the time waster, his bid would drop back to R1 not R130. His initial bid was affected by the time waster, if it weren't for the time wasters bids, his bid would have stayed at R1. So we take the auction back to it's original bid, which was R1.

Nozy Dragonfly    10
Nozy Dragonfly

Thank you for the explanation. There is no way I could have known that the "legal bidder" had an automatic bid limit.

I also think that it would then be better for a seller not to go out of his way to report these suspicious bidders.

If I had just left the auction to run without "doing the right thing", I still had a chance of the "legal bidder" or any other bidder placing a higher bid.

I suppose that is the way you learn...

qball    10
qball
Thank you for the explanation. There is no way I could have known that the "legal bidder" had an automatic bid limit.

I also think that it would then be better for a seller not to go out of his way to report these suspicious bidders.

If I had just left the auction to run without "doing the right thing", I still had a chance of the "legal bidder" or any other bidder placing a higher bid.

I suppose that is the way you learn...

That is entirely your choice, either way you would not win, as if you let the auction run, you end up with a SNC having to be filed, re-listing the item etc. Technically if the time waster had not bid, this auction would still have been won by the original bidder at R1, he placed the very first bid, the time waster started bidding after him, so if you take him out of the equation the item would still have sold for R1, as there would have been no other bidders on the auction.

I think it is best to report suspect bidders as they do more harm than good for all sellers.