Sign in to follow this  
chriden

Bidder wants to back out - yes or no?

chriden    10
chriden

Firstly, we are trading on bidorbuy to make a living, so when someone bids on an item it equals potential income. When someone sends a message to cancel their bid, it equals loss of income. I have a situation where this has happened (79109022). The bidder has asked me to delete his bid as his wife had bought a painting by the same artist without his knowledge. As a businessman, am i compelled to adhere to his request or do I hold him to his bid? After all, the matter is between him and his wife - he does not state that he is unhappy with my product. What grounds do I have to hold him to his bid? How many of you would say:YES, cancel his bid, or NO, hold him accountable. My moral/humanitarian compass seems to be bent. Help!!

Herewith his request:

" Dear Seller,

Trust you are well. I planned to purchase this George Enslin for my wifes birthday to compliment the other one she has, but unknowing to me she purchased another George Enslin herself. I would appreciate if you could please cancel my bid?"

Edited by chriden

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

According to the CPA, you are obliged to delete his bid.

Besides, I would do it anyway as, if he wins the auction, you will land up with a non-paying bidder anyway.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Chriden, you not the first and you won't be the last to go through what you have just described and as Tanaka has just pointed out, you are obliged to delete the bid. There was a time when you could call their bluff and not delete the bid and you had a 50/50 chance of either getting paid or having to file an SNC but alas those days are now gone with the new rules.

You are not alone on BoB trying to make a living so don't bet on every bid as a potential sale just hold thumbs that it will be and believe me I do it every day and I bet there are others right here on the forum who are going through the same predicament.

Don't get despondent because a good sale passed you by just focus on the other potential buyers out there that will bid and follow through with the sale.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

A few years ago there was an article in the Cape argus re this artist.

His wife and daughter were looking to purchase any of his paintings.

JANDS    10
JANDS

No question about it, delete the bid. I have just had a bidder outbid a seasoned buyer and then give me an ethereal reason as to why the product is not wanted. The original buyer also does not want it now, however, there will be someone out there who wants it and although it is part of my making a living, the money is not that important.