Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

General warning of scammer

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

As I am a member of the Jewellery Council of South Africa, we get notified of different problems or scams within the community or public. I am copying the email to show it here just in case anyone on BoB comes across this arogant individual - you have been warned!

Copy of warning from council:

Hi

On the 16th October a guy calling himself Peter phoned me and enquired whether I could supply him with Krugerrands. He requested my Bank Details and told me that an EFT would be done with immediate effect. The next morning I noticed that a Cheque had been paid in and when I queried it with my Bankers they confirmed that It had been paid in, in Killarney Johannesburg. Peter phoned me at about 10am that morning and I told him that my Bank had confirmed that it was a Cheque and not an EFT and that they were suspicious about the transaction. I told him that I would phone him back later. At about Lunch time my Banker’s confirmed that the Cheque was fraudulent and I phoned Peter back. When I told him that this had been a scam and enquired why he had done it, his reply was simply “I was looking for an early Christmas Present” Peter appears to still answer his telephone on the number quoted on the Internet Banking attached. He also asked whether I could refer him to anybody else he could try!!!!!!

Thanks

Carl

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

Just out of interest - has the council or bank actually done anything (i.e. case with SAPS and subpoena to get RICA records)?

Cali Craft and Gems

Unfortunately that info has not been disclosed in this case.

According to the numerous emails we get from the council, this type of scam is on the increase at the moment, including the fraudulent use of credit cards. The one instance being the same individual going to different jewellers in and around the Cape Town area producing both a card and ID that supposedly matches the name on the card. One jeweller was taken for a ride this past weekend which cost him over R100k - he did not suspect a thing as the transaction went through the credit card machine without any hassles and he thought that the ID and card looked "valid". Only later did he find out that the card had been cloned.

It seems like Christmas shopping has started early for some this year already...

Cali Craft and Gems

Further to my last entry, the council has distributed the so-called proof of payment through that this scammer used which includes his name, trading name and cellphone number. Copy below:

The more people or businesses that know of this individual, hopefully the sooner he can be stopped in his tracks!

58f5a7414e842_peterfraud2.jpg.2ef1ba45c5abc3144020ec2572a871c9.jpg

circe    10
circe

hi

as i think, the guy got hard evidince to the potensial scam. he can get him a nice jailcell for chrismas.

frikkie