Sign in to follow this  
DanKing

Your opinion Please " Seller taking buyers for a ride &

DanKing

He has all the Bases covered in the description :evil:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/11929758/100_natural_OVAL_CUT_1_17CT_FANCY_YELLOW.html

Check out this description of a Diamond and what it is " Suppose to be "

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/diamond

Opposite of what a Diamond must be

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opaque

I suppose there is a sucker born every day :?:

Any Comments Gem Guru's?

DanKing

motherearth

WHAT A BEAUTY!! ... LOL

it looks as if it has just fallen off the bottom of someones shoe!!

Commonly known in the trade as FTQ(Fish Tank Quality)

but you would would have to feel seriously sorry for any fish who had to put up with this as furniture!!

Jeff

Cali Craft and Gems
Commonly known in the trade as FTQ(Fish Tank Quality)

but you would would have to feel seriously sorry for any fish who had to put up with this as furniture!!

Poor fish - especially at THAT price! Yuck!

alloway65

I am re gravelling a garden path, if I could get a few thousand, they would add a bit more colour to the path....I will pay up to R1.00 for the lot!

D :shock:

Delicious

FTQ - good one :lol:

Lukeness

Not too sure how this stone escaped a life of abrasive abuse as part of a grinding tool.

Very strange seeing a step/native cut diamond (especially with those proportions) anywhere! Not sure how any ERR value could be ascertained for something that is not of "gem" quality.

alloway65

Just remembered, I bought some large yellow "diamonds" a while ago, but then they were called something else then and also had a better cut, will list tomorrow and make a fortune...only cost me a few Rand....some extra spending money for Plet!!!!!

Oh I also have some black & blue diamonds not to mention red ones....lucky me!!!!! :? :? :?

I also have some nice clear sparkley stones....can they be diamonds as well.....no wrong colour!!! :oops:

motherearth

someone actually won this item for 4100 rand, not very funny at all!! , this poor buyer has obviously been taken for a ride by the ridiculous value claimed by the seller - 26,185R , where did this value come from???

Jeff

alloway65

Yes I agree Jeff, but unfortunately there was no way to contact the buyer unless one had done business with him/her in the past.

Posibly there should be a way through BoB to warn prospective buyers if a few "Senior" Forum Members see a possible problem/fraud!

David

motherearth

whilst this is a good idea David, it will not happen, the main fault i have with the seller is the inflated value, they have used accurate photographs and even explained in a vague way that the stone is highly included, i can not understand why the buyer bid so high on what is so obviously junk! , the only possible explanation is they actually believe the value stated!!

I believe this happens quite a lot on BOB, this buyer will now receive this low quality diamond and be so upset and angry, that they will never buy anything on BOB again.... many new members appear on BOB every week!! , but how many are leaving because of bad experiences???

This must be extremely frustrating for the good gemstone sellers!! , yes there are a few on BOB!!

Jeff.

anneart

I totally agree. What a rip-off :roll:

I really can't beleive someone paid R4100 - it looks awful - who would want to set this "chucky stone"? I feel sorry for the buyer but can't understand such a high bid for something so obviously lower than low graade :?

alloway65

Hi Jeff,

When I started with gemstones about 2 years ago, I was also taken in by the high values stated and bought rubbish......novices have to learn but not to te extent of R4100.00!

Good sellers....a verey very few!!!!

David

Delicious

What's fooling them is the high "Rand value" included in the description..

Cali Craft and Gems

I agree that many "new" or unknowledged buyers can be misled down the path entirely based on the given "value" alone.

What about the idea of not having the option to insert a value? This way many buyers can decide for themselves on what to pay - not to be fooled by a false value.

I rarely (if ever) put a value on my items. It is ultimately the buyer's choice on how high he / she will go.

Delicious

I prefer including the link to Jump.co.za and giving a comparative price from there - yields higher prices generally :lol:

motherearth

Hi, if the system was used correctly, then it could provide invaluable information for buyers, especially new ones, unfortunately it is a system that is abused beyond belief, a lot of the valuation claims border on criminal!

Here is the thing!!, the fact that this system is in place puts the honest sellers at a huge disadvantage! , because they can not use the system, it is impossible! , their integrity means they can not lie about values! , if they use them correctly eg. a 2ct VVS Green Tourmaline with an honest retail value of say 900 rand - right next to it from another seller with no morals is a similar stone with a value of 10,000 R --- which is the novice buyer going to buy??

Should the good sellers also start with the deception in order to be competitive? , i imagine some are considering it!!

Jeff

Delicious

I can tell you now that they would purchase the "WOW look how much money i'm saving" item....

Cali Craft and Gems

Or they would think that the R900 seller is trying to get rid of a piece of rubbish by comparison to the "high end" item...

:?

Delicious

How to navigate this :-p

Celebrity Jewels

Hi Jeff. Luke and fellow Bobbers... when I saw that pic I laughed and that was before reading your follow-up posts. Shame, wonder what the buyer will do with it... Pathetic stone.. I could polish one of thos from my back garden.. Anyways we all know that our pleas will fall on deaf ears until we have evidence of corruption so let us get the ball rolling.. May anybody who has purchased a BURMESE RUBY or any other dodgy stone report here on this post.

It is time to take these cowboys to task!

Regards

Brian

Celebrity Jewels

The system should allow us to contact buyers/ sellers just as eBay does through secure message. We could save these guys a lot of hassle.

Yes Jeff and Luke, I am back in the UK. Had too many bad experiences culminating in a physical robbery of everything that I had on me. No good. Safer from the UK. Good to be home and it was literally an overnight decision.

Cheers

Brian

ps: my phone was stolen as well

Sollyzar

hi Brian, sorry to hear of your misfortune, good luck and I hope things work out for you in the UK!

keep in touch

Solly

motherearth

hi Brian, wow, seems as if you had a pretty bad experience mate! , back to sunny England! , it must have been very bad!! , I wish you the best of luck!.... guess I'd better cancel my visit to Durban in June!

Should finish cutting the rough sometime next week, you'll have to PM your UK address and I'll send it to you there.

RE - the point about letting users contact each other, good idea in theory, but I am sure it would be severely abused!! I still believe that this Forum is a very good tool for informing new and old members of potential scams, problems and "dog rough stones" Trouble is, it is far too quiet here, more people need to get involved!

Brian, get in touch when you have time

take care

Jeff.

alloway65

Hi Brian,

So sorry to hear of your troubles in Durban, at least you are ok physically....mentally it takes a while....my wife had a similar experience 5 years ago and took her a while. Things can be replaced but life cant! In SA we all tend to look after our backs...it is sad but becomes the norm and we dont tend to think about it (much).

Take care.

David

perfectsales

this seller does take buyers for a ride

hes suppose to be on leave between the 17th december & 17th january. payment has been made in that time where he gave me a negative ratting on the 10th. he doesnt have anything better to do durring hes leave time