Sign in to follow this  
AppleBerry

Post Office vs Courier

AppleBerry

To all Sellers.

As a seller on BOB for more than 2 years, i have had enough of the Post Office and their unreliable service, bad attitudes and now a new point of sale system that adds more time to our already rushed schedule.

My suggestion is that we (The sellers) find a courier that can offer us delivery to any address in SA at a cost equivalent to that of the SAPO. As an individual it is difficult to negotiate a good price but with enough sellers on board we can definitely strike deal.

I am currently using following courier services:

FASTWAY 3-4 Working Day Door Delivery as budget courier at R45 but they are only in JHB, CPT and DURBAN.

DAWN WING 1-2 Working Day at R85 for Major City Centers and R145 for Regional Areas.

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Regards

AppleBerry

RAG Auctioneers

The Courier Guy.

They do almost everywhere.

The thing is the price is high for regional and "no man land" areas.

Otherwise I think they are on par with Fastway in terms of Major City Area prices.

kebs

Yes - the new point of sale system is ridiculous!!! I have considered only using a courier, but some buyers won't be prepared to pay the extra.. So I offer both methods, & pray... a lot...

AppleBerry
Yes - the new point of sale system is ridiculous!!! I have considered only using a courier, but some buyers won't be prepared to pay the extra.. So I offer both methods, & pray... a lot...

I also offer both options and i too want to only use courier but the cost is too high, that is why i recommend that we get enough sellers to sign with one courier so we can bring the rates down.

lilythepink

I'm not having too many problems with the PO, thanks goodness. Those of my buyers who want courier services get them, but there aren't enough of them for me to spend hours trying to find a reliable and properly priced courier in my part of the world.

I would be prepared to support a courier if someone on the forum comes up with a company who charges respectable rates. Grahamstown isn't entirely (or always) out of the courier route from East London to Port Elizabeth and vice versa, so I wouldn't expect to have to pay extra!

We are, at present, not on the N2 route to and from PE though because of the 30 metre wide by 50 metre deep crater in the N2!! Reports are that it will take months to repair!

Miss Jewels

I had an appointment with a courier company today who actually specializes in transporting jewelry and fire-arms. Most courier companies will not insure jewelery, so if we want to go the cheaper route, we will have to declare "other" items.

As to the post office, I have it in writing that they do not insure jewelry! Again, when using this methode, "other" items will be declared.

I will be changing my shipping details very shortly to include this. All postal items will be uninsured (if I specify the contents) and I will be going the route of the couriers. Their to door delivery costs is in line with the post office to door cost but it's the safer way for us. Postal strikes will therefor not influence my items reaching their destination.

Anyone else going to opt for couriers rather than the PO?

AppleBerry
I had an appointment with a courier company today who actually specializes in transporting jewelry and fire-arms. Most courier companies will not insure jewelery, so if we want to go the cheaper route, we will have to declare "other" items.

As to the post office, I have it in writing that they do not insure jewelry! Again, when using this methode, "other" items will be declared.

I will be changing my shipping details very shortly to include this. All postal items will be uninsured (if I specify the contents) and I will be going the route of the couriers. Their to door delivery costs is in line with the post office to door cost but it's the safer way for us. Postal strikes will therefor not influence my items reaching their destination.

Anyone else going to opt for couriers rather than the PO?

As mentioned before i am using Dawn Wing for Overnight Door Deliveries for R85 which is extremely good but their CPT Sales and Accounts Department is crap so i am not sure i want to use or recommend their services again.

I left a message with Taxi Trucks to get back to me tomorrow, they seem to have SA covered well so i will post the outcome here.

Miss Jewels

I was very impressed with RAM Couriers and their pricing proposal. Maybe you would like to approach them for a quote? I know Cuan also speaks highly of them.

As mentioned before i am using Dawn Wing for Overnight Door Deliveries for R85 which is extremely good but their CPT Sales and Accounts Department is crap so i am not sure i want to use or recommend their services again.

I left a message with Taxi Trucks to get back to me tomorrow, they seem to have SA covered well so i will post the outcome here.

YSLMAGIC
The Courier Guy.

They do almost everywhere.

The thing is the price is high for regional and "no man land" areas.

Otherwise I think they are on par with Fastway in terms of Major City Area prices.

i also use The Courier Guy, much more reliable than Fastway and their customer service is impeccable..........worth looking at and if we are a number of sellers together i am sure we can negotiate better prices with them

Fashion Police

I said the exact same thing to my hubby this morning! I'm also fed up with the Post Office. Even though I get brilliant service from our local branch, this whole strike made such a mess of everything! Chances are, next year there WILL be another strike! I still have buyers who haven't received their parcels since 29 September! I have obviously kept in touch with them, advised of the strikes etc... but some of them still don't understand why it's taking so long? On my side, unfortunately my hands are tied (just like everyone else's).

I myself am shopping around for affordable couriers now

AppleBerry
i also use The Courier Guy, much more reliable than Fastway and their customer service is impeccable..........worth looking at and if we are a number of sellers together i am sure we can negotiate better prices with them

All sellers who are interested, please speak to you couriers and ask them to put something together for us so we can decide. We need to sort this out before December. I got a call from TAXI TRUCKS this morning and the lady sounded positive so let's hope they come to the table.

Buy Camera SA

I use a very respectable courier as seen by my ratings I rarely have problems with them, www.collivery.co.za they use an online booking system so it is a pleasure to book and to get pricing is immediate they also can collect and ship direct for those drop shippers out there. They insure up to R5000 for an additional charge of R10 on top of your quoted fee. I have been using them for over a year with awesome results!

AppleBerry
I was very impressed with RAM Couriers and their pricing proposal. Maybe you would like to approach them for a quote? I know Cuan also speaks highly of them.

I think we have to have about 2 couriers handling our deliveries. One for Major Cities and the other for Regional. I have a meeting with RAM COURIERS tomorrow.

Miss Jewels

I've just had an appointment with FedEx and was very impressed. Their rates are on par with Speed Services, they have on-line waybills (no more pen-to-paper) and bags are not charged additional. Free insurance up to R1000 and 2% insurance for items over R1000 (this applies to parcels of 0 - 2kg). Obviously, they do not insure jewelery like RAM couriers. FedEx have been delivering my overseas parcels for more than 13 months and I can honestly say I've only received excellent service.

AppleBerry

Hi All i just had a meeting with RAM and i am very impressed with what they have to offer. I cannot post rates here but their OVERNIGHT to major centres is a few rands cheaper than DAWN WING but the REGIONAL areas are very well priced. Most importantly RAM does their own deliveries nationwide and do not make use of a 3rd party courier which has its issues, i know from experience. My packages are 99% of the time under 1kg and they are not high value or dangerous items so it is feesable to sign with RAM, also i did explain to the rep that we should work out better prices if more sellers want to join. I am not sure if i am allowed to put the reps details here but if anyone is interested let me know? I am also looking for a budget courier that does all major areas as well, a few guys mentioned THE COURIER GUY so if you can give me contact details then i will in touch with them. As mentioned before the more sellers on board the better for all of us.

AppleBerry

Guys

Please let me know if you are interested so i can forward you details of the RAM Rep? If we deal with one person, it will be easier to manage the rates as if you deal with other reps, they will not know what our agreement is. I seriously do not want to use the post office as much as i currently do.

Edited by AppleBerry

Miss Jewels

Is the reps restricted to area?

AppleBerry
Is the reps restricted to area?

I am not sure (i can clarify that tomorrow) but as long as one rep knows what we want then she can relay it to the other areas.

AppleBerry

Hi All

My efforts to get a better rate for all sellers interested have failed as each seller ships different goods and the amount of the packages, so they will not give us a fixed rate regardless of how many people join. If anyone else can source a courier to service our needs at a reasonable fixed rate for all of us, please post a reply here.

Miss Jewels

I had a meeting with Fast Way today. Although they only currently supply to the major centres, their tarriffs are good. Delivery is 2 - 3 working days (as is econo mail from the post office), but they deliver to your door. Bags are pre-bought at R35.00 each and this includes insurance up to the value of R1000.00.

An acceptable tarriff to charge would be R50.00-R55.00 which will include the additional packaging for transportation.

I offered this today as a first and had a very, very happy client.

Speed services to door is currently R130.00 whereas the client is now only going to pay R55.00, although it takes slightly longer. The parcel runs though "safe hands", opposed to the postal services where it is handled by hundreds of different hands on a weekly basis. Postal strikes would not affect the courier option so the parcel is guaranteed to reach its destination at the given time.

I will also be offering FedEx overnight within the next week and possibly RAM couriers by next month for the more valuable items, as they specialize in firearms and jewelry, making this is a very safe option.

kebs

Sigh... If only Fast Way added PE to their list...:sad:

Miss Jewels

It's coming.....very shortly. They're cutting a deal with SkyNet so between the two companies, they'll be servicing the whole of SA and also into Lesotho. Now that's good news!:laugh:

RAG Auctioneers

They eventually added Bloem to their list, but took it away a month later....

PE would be great.

AppleBerry

FASTWAY is very good, they offer same day delivery within Cape Town (if package is picked up before 11am it is delivered before 4pm), that is an impressive service to have. The downside is that they use a Franchise, meaning sometimes the drivers have a habit of returning to the depot with the package because they ran out of time. I track the package till i have a signature obtained. Spoke to Collivery and their rates are very reasonable especially for outling areas, they offer a 30 day account without credit checks.

oaks and acorns

I would also recommend BEX (Business Express) and you will be required to open an account with them.

They cover all major centres @ R45 for the first 2kg express (or 5kg normal cargo) plus a fuel surcharge of 28.10% (fluctuates according the petrol price in/decreases) plus VAT. Budget cargo comes in at R65 for the first 10kg plus the addons already mentioned.

Regional areas are also covered and I've yet to have them say they don't cover an area I need to send to or collect from.

Optional insurance is also available.

Been with them for a year now and have received excellent service.