Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

"Frankenstorm"

wayjen

Heard it on the television here and it seems quite far north compared to others that hit Florida all the time.

Not1CentMore

The aftermath....

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/30/at-least-17-dead-millions-without-power-in-sandy-aftermath/ (video)

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/slideshow/2012/10/29/superstorm-sandy-hits-east-coast/#slide=1 (pics)

My son (long distance trucker) is in Illinois... near Peoria. He is hauling over 48,000-lbs and can hardly keep the 'rig' on the road - wind gusts are horrific! He is scheduled to deliver the load northside Chicago, but may have to pull off if the wind gets too severe. He will not put himself or any other driver on the road in danger; rather late load than injuries/death.

Ruthie

wayjen

He is mad to be driving in this storm Ruthie.

My cousin stays in New York but I think she is in Las Vegas at this moment, I think I will just double check via Facetwit.

Not1CentMore

Wayne... hope your cousin is ok.

We are under a Red Flag "Fire Weather Warning"; combination of high winds/low humidity. Any outdoor fires will spread rapidly. Most folk will be inside (brrrr with the wind... even here we are getting a 'finger' of the storm) and anyone burning leaves will be either ticketed or hauled off to the 'hoosgow'; most likely the latter if the fire gets 'out of hand' and the fire department has to be called to 'douse'. Same goes with businesses who normally burn cardboard, wood, etc.

Ryan just called....he is 'shutting down' until the winds subside. Load will be late, but he is 'rocking' even at the rest stop.

Ruthie

wayjen

Hectic!

Just checked her Facetwit status and she is in Las Vegas whilst a friend is babysitting her daughter in NY, they seem ok in NY as they have underground cabling for electricity so nor problem if poles go down.

Not1CentMore

Just checked her Facetwit status and she is in Las Vegas whilst a friend is babysitting her daughter in NY, they seem ok in NY as they have underground cabling for electricity so nor problem if poles go down.

Good to hear everyone is safe. Just stay 'hunkered down' until it is safe to travel (plane, bus, car or foot).

Ruthie

lilythepink

You're very much in our thoughts and prayers, Ruthie! We're in the throes of flooding in our little part of the world (the Eastern Cape) but the disaster is nowhere near the proportions the US is having to contend with.

Not1CentMore

Janet...

Fingers crossed your flooding soon goes 'poof'.

Ok here, but those folk 'in the path' will be 'hurting' for a long, long time. The damage is so extensive and repairs will take time and patience; neither of which is plentiful when it is 'you' in the 'eye of the storm'. In some cases, there is no 'fixing'... it is, as they say here, 'done broke for good'.

100 homes... burned to the ground during the storm (Queens).

article-2225865-15C80314000005DC-620_964x651.jpg.be57abe775a0d5a7774f30f49fe123b4.jpg

Superstorm Sandy Unearths Bones, Caskets - ABC News

Superstorm Sandy | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

lilythepink

Thanks for the update, Ruthie. It's scary how weather patterns seem to have become so vicious across the world! Or is it just that we're seeing the effects more quickly on TV than we used to in the printed press? Whatever, one can't help but wonder whether the Mayans' theory of life as we know it changing soon?! (Apparently they didn't forecast the end of the world, they just said life as we know it would be changing and we would need to accept the changes if we were going to be happy.) But I am no guru when it comes to the Mayans.