Sign in to follow this  
Matts Cameras

Closing an auction early

Matts Cameras    10
Matts Cameras

Is there a reason that seller's can not bring forward the closing date of auctions? I can close it at any time but it would be nice if I could simply bring the closing date a few days closer, that way buyers can still see when it's ending and bid accordingly.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Welcome to the forum Matts Cameras.

I am assuming that you don't yet have any bids on your item ... just go to your home page, call up the item in question and edit the date. Voila.

If you already have bids on the item you won't be able to change the closing time unless you close it now and accept the last bid made. Hope this helps you.

Matts Cameras    10
Matts Cameras

Thanks Lily, there is already a bid. I just wanted to end it 2 days earlier so I can post before I go away for a week.

wayjen    10
wayjen

so close it now then, you don't have to wait for the actual day.

qball    10
qball

If you close now, you will make the bidder the winning bidder at his current bid amount. Unfortunately you cannot delete an auction once there are bids on it. If you are happy with the highest bid amount you can close it, thereby making the bidder the winner automatically.

Matts Cameras    10
Matts Cameras

Ok, I know that I can close it now. There is one bid and 2 watchers. If I could bring the closing date forward then the other bidder will get a chance. Otherwise the first bid gets it.

It makes no sense to be able to close it at any point but not be able to move the actual closing time closer so that any watchers can see that it is imminently closing.

wayjen    10
wayjen

And what if the second watcher knows it's closing in a weeks time and is waiting for that day and you go and close it today, you both will be on the losing end.

Don't mess with it even if you could just let it run and besides, one of the two watchers might want to see if you get the item sold, don't make the mistake that we all have made and think that 2 watchers means a fight over your item.

Matts Cameras    10
Matts Cameras

I can't let it run as I will be unable to post for 2 weeks after the closing date.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Your'e in a pickle then.

admin    0
admin

Hi Matts Cameras,

If it is still open you can ask yourself when will the auction close, on that item, then reply with the closing date so everyone can see.

kebs    10
kebs

You can still edit your shipping & payment sections, so maybe add a note into one of those regarding postage? Not really nice for the original bidder to have the change sprung on them, but he/she can always ask for their bid to be deleted if they need the item urgently.