Sign in to follow this  
lilythepink

We are stranded ...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Grahamstown has become an island in the middle of nowhere in the Eastern Cape. We can't get to East London because the road between Peddie and King William's Town is closed. We can't take the coast road to either East London or Port Elizabeth as the road is closed between Bathurst and Port Alfred. And now we hear we can't get to PE on the N2 as the road has "collapsed" at Nanaga (on the way to PE).

And it is still pouring with rain in Grahamstown ...

svw    10
svw
Grahamstown has become an island in the middle of nowhere in the Eastern Cape. We can't get to East London because the road between Peddie and King William's Town is closed. We can't take the coast road to either East London or Port Elizabeth as the road is closed between Bathurst and Port Alfred. And now we hear we can't get to PE on the N2 as the road has "collapsed" at Nanaga (on the way to PE).

And it is still pouring with rain in Grahamstown ...

Sorry to hear about that 'lily' - hopefully it will stop raining soon!

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

On a lighter note.............Don't Mr Aerospace consider buying a boat?

And on a serious note Lilly, I hope the rain will stop soon. I can only imagine how it must feel to be surrounded by sea and water.

I'ts like living on an island indeed!

Pathway    10
Pathway

It's all wet wet wet here in PE too, many roads closed, and my garden a sloshy lake again.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

We're trying to work out the best way to drive to PE on Tuesday - perhaps Pathway has a suggestion? We have a long-arranged appointment which can't be missed! Someone suggested we go through Bedford (trip will take us double travelling time and we don't know what condition those "back roads" are in!) AlgoaFM radio has just announced that the road from Bathurst through to Port Alfred is now open so perhaps we can get to PE along the coastal road? I don't see the N2 having its 30 metre deep collapse being fixed by Tuesday!!

@Miems - I think MrA needs to buy a full-size aeroplane rather than a boat!

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I've just spent the last two hours going through reports, updates and pics of the situation in the PE / Grahamstown / Port Alfred region - I am honestly shocked at what I've seen, but in a way not surprised - nearly every year of late there have been very heavy rains around this time.

But for Jan / lily - on the Weather Guru page on Facebook, someone has posted the "safe route" map from Grahamstown to PE. It has been confirmed that these roads are in okay condition so perhaps this is your only option. The long route, but the safest so far!

map.jpg.2de0e03b79aebc5293400bcd4e609bce.jpg

Although we have also had lots of heavy rains in our area, it is nothing compared to the E/Cape! Our river in town is in full flood, and it rained non-stop throughout the night. Thankfully most of the houses in ODN are on 'higher' ground compared to the rivers, but it still does cause it's own bit of chaos on the surrounding roads. Oh well... there goes our plans of exploring the Seweweekspoort until the roads dry out - again!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks Janet/Cali! I better make sure I pack padkos in case we get lost! :rolleyes:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Latest update according to the Public Servant News Network Port Elizabeth (on Facebook):

[h=5]It has been reported from officials that the hole is 25m wide and 50m deep on the N2 between Grahamstown and Port Elizabeth where the road collapsed yesterday.

This morning traffic was being diverted from Port Elizabeth to the Cradock Road N10 around Cookhouse and back to Grahamstown or East London.

The Kenton turn off is now open and is the safest option to travel from Grahamstown to Port Elizabeth.[/h]

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Did anyone else get caught up in the tennis ball hail in the East Rand?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Well the coastal road is closed - again - and some locals say that even with their 4x4 vehicles they battled to get home to Grahamstown from Port Elizabeth.

It is now being estimated that the N2 will be closed for 3 to 4 months as that is the minimum amount of time needed for repairs to be carried out. The hole 20 kms outside Grahamstown is gi-normous!

Truckers are having to do the long route to and from Grahamstown, via Cookhouse, which adds about 350 kms on to a trip which is usually 130 km! So guess what - prices of transport are going to increase and those roads will soon be needing repairs done to them too what with all the trucks having to use them.

I have had to postpone the appointment I had in PE tomorrow! I am not suffering in silence - the dogs are my sounding boards today!

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Well the coastal road is closed - again - and some locals say that even with their 4x4 vehicles they battled to get home to Grahamstown from Port Elizabeth.

It is now being estimated that the N2 will be closed for 3 to 4 months as that is the minimum amount of time needed for repairs to be carried out. The hole 20 kms outside Grahamstown is gi-normous!

Truckers are having to do the long route to and from Grahamstown, via Cookhouse, which adds about 350 kms on to a trip which is usually 130 km! So guess what - prices of transport are going to increase and those roads will soon be needing repairs done to them too what with all the trucks having to use them.

I have had to postpone the appointment I had in PE tomorrow! I am not suffering in silence - the dogs are my sounding boards today!

3 to 4 months ? Our province can`t even repair a miserable pothole.

road.jpg.4e8433cc95e672bac4a7b648d8b15022.jpg

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I wondered about that myself. Think positive, be positive ... that is what I tell Mr Aerospace all the time!

But you are so right - if they had maintained the roads properly (or built them unhurriedly in the first place!) we wouldn't now be sitting with all these disasters!

alloway65    10
alloway65

Funny........I have never seen a construction worker hurry...except to collect his pay Cheque or to have a tea or a pee break...or to possibly go on strike!!!

svw    10
svw

With 'strike season' becoming such a huge feature on the South African calendar I think it's high time they reprint the SA version of the monopoly board by changing 'go to jail' with 'go on strike' and 'jail' with 'strike'...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

It's still raining around here and now we are also cold! And we still have no official "plan" as to how and when the road will be repaired and we can get to and from Port Elizabeth without doing a 5-hour trip one way.