Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Poor packaging, high price

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

As a seller myself, I am totally shocked at the lack of proper packaging for items recently bought from other sellers.

I am not going to mention names, but never in a million years would I ever send out items to my buyers "like that"!

First seller charges R35 for the first item, and R5 per item there after. Granted each item (jewellery) is in an organza bag, but it is in a soft card box wrapped with a single layer of what looks like old dot-matrix printer paper (if you know what I mean). Box arrives as flat as a pancake (well almost) and items are amazingly not damaged. (received two parcels from this seller recently and both are packed this way).

Second seller charges R32.50 for the first item, and R1.50 per item there after (plus 3% for insurance). Items (jewellery) are in plastic ziplock bags in a bubble envelope - no extra "wrapping".

Third seller charges R35 with no combining fee. Items (jewellery) also just in plastic ziplock bags into the bubble envelope.

How any of these items were not damaged (from all the sellers) I am amazed.

By example, we charge a buyer R40 for shipping with no combining fee. All items are wrapped in bubblewrap (well!) plus then into the bubble envelope. If the items are too fragile for "plain shipping" packaging, then they are wrapped individually and placed securely (with more bubbles / foam) into a hard cardboard box which is wrapped in brown paper.

You can ask any of my buyers about my packing methods, and I'm sure the only complaint you will get is that the items are too well wrapped! If the buyer states that the item is a gift, then it is packed accordingly with a complimentary organza bag, etc.

I simply cannot understand why some sellers just don't seem to care about their buyer's items - or at least that is the way it seems to me as a buyer receiving these parcels recently. Take pride in what you do and how you present the items to your buyers - after all it is them that keep you afloat financially!

(and the proper packing methods are also applied in our shop - rings in ring boxes, fragiles wrapped in tissue paper and / or bubblewrap, etc)

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Correction to the last post - the parcel from the first seller has just been unpacked fully and checked - the one pair of earrings that was part of a matching set have been broken completely - the loops have both snapped off so all I'm left with is just the earring hooks!

Proper packing methods would have prevented this completely!

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Oh goodness CCG. I feel that when my buyer spends money with me, the expect to get what they saw...new items not damaged - even though it was in the post.

We send out all items in either an organza bag, watch box or ring box. This is securely wrapped in bubble wrap and shredding, then using a bubble wrap white envelope from the PO.

I would too rather have a client say packaging was too much than have a negative rating or complaint that the item was received damaged. We all try our utmost to prevent damage while in transit, although this is not always 100% possible.