Sign in to follow this  
Ilya2005

Confused by "Extends With Late Bids"

Ilya2005

Hello from the US!

As a newer member of BOB, I've bought some very nice things from some outstanding sellers and have been very happy with my purchases. However, I'm confused by the "extends with late bidding" aspect of an auction. :huh:

Most auctions in which I participate, the end of the auction is a point certain and all bids cease at that time. So, can anyone please explain to me why an auction with a given time of closure seems to go on and on and on...well, you get my point. :rolleyes:

Thanks/Baie dankie. Ek waardeer jou hulp.

Ilya2005

Miss Jewels

Hi llya2005. Welcome to the forum! When we as sellers create an auction, we can request that an auction extends. This means that everytime a buyer bids, the auction will extend with x amounts of minutes until no-one is bidding anymore. Alternatively, we can requeste an auction to end at a specific time. It's always best to put in your highest bid should you want an item. Hope this helps.

admin

Hi Ilya2005,

Welcome to the forum.

The automatic extension function, if memory serves, kicks in in the last minute when a bid is placed, extending the auction time by 3 minutes to let bidders get in that last bid.

oaks and acorns

The automatic extension function, if memory serves, kicks in in the last minute when a bid is placed, extending the auction time by 3 minutes to let bidders get in that last bid.

Yup, it's like that. Except... admin got stuff the wrong way around (probably 'cos he's Afrikaans) so it might be less confusing if what he said reads like this...

The automatic extension function, if memory serves, kicks in when a bid is placed in the last minute (last 15 mins actually, i think), extending the auction time by 3 minutes to let bidders get in that last bid.

admin
Yup, it's like that. Except... admin got stuff the wrong way around (probably 'cos he's Afrikaans) so it might be less confusing if what he said reads like this...

I don't think it is a language issue, I am just a confused individual.....Maaaaaac please help!

Miss Jewels

Good example. I load an auction to close at 10pm, but click the option "extend with late bids". A bid comes in at 9.59, bidding is extended by 3 minutes. Another bid comes in at 10.02pm, bidding extends by 3 mins. This continues until there are no more bids placed and the highest bidder wins.

Not1CentMore
Good example. I load an auction to close at 10pm, but click the option "extend with late bids". A bid comes in at 9.59, bidding is extended by 3 minutes. Another bid comes in at 10.02pm, bidding extends by 3 mins. This continues until there are no more bids placed and the highest bidder wins.

Same here.

Ruthie

Ilya2005
Same here.

Ruthie

So...

I guess my sniping skills at last second bidding, honed by years of eBay practice, are woefully inadequate here, right? :rolleyes:

That's OK. As someone suggested, I guess I'll have to enter my best and highest bid loooooong before the end of the auction so I DON'T get outbid, right? :whistling:

By the way, right now, here in the States, I'm enjoying a nice glass of SA wine from Muratie...an Ansela van de Caab. Cheers! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.

Ilya2005

JANDS
So...

I guess my sniping skills at last second bidding, honed by years of eBay practice, are woefully inadequate here, right?

All I can say is "he he he"

Edited by JANDS

Ilya2005
All I can say is "he he he"

Ahh, but, that doesn't mean I've quit trying. :laugh:

Not1CentMore
By the way, right now, here in the States, I'm enjoying a nice glass of SA wine from Muratie...an Ansela van de Caab. Cheers! :biggrin:

Starbucks double espresso/double mocha/on-the-rocks/whole 'moo'/'on-the-rocks'.... 24 / 7 / 365.

Shoot-a-bug, there isn't a drop o' blood flowing through these veins... just a 'river' of coffee and chocolate!

Ruthie

JANDS
Ahh, but, that doesn't mean I've quit trying. :laugh:

Multiple tabs open in Firefox, secure and stable internet, reload, fire and give'em hell! :twisted:

oaks and acorns
So...

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.

Ilya2005

A bottle of One Off from woolies, an interesting label

Multiple tabs open in Firefox, secure and stable internet, reload, fire and give'em hell! :twisted:

Select sandbag at checkout

qball

Basically, the auction will have a scheduled close time - for example 3pm. If there are no bids in the last 3 minutes before 3pm, the auction will close as normal. If however someone places a bid at 2.59pm, the auction is automatically extended by 3 minutes, until 3.02pm. If there are no further bids then the auction closes at 3.02pm. If someone bids at 3.01pm, then the auction automatically extends until 3.04pm, etc. i.e another 3 minutes. This simulates the "Going, going ... gone" nature of traditional live auctions.

Please remember to refresh the page to check if other bids have been placed.

The Seller selects this option when creating their listing, so if this option is selected, it will be indicated on the item page next to the closing time with the following wording - "Extends with late bids".

This won't really work when Sniping, unless you are the final bidder... or if someone else has an auto bid higher than yours.