Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Pepper spray - yuck!

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Hubby's turn "on duty" in the shop today and I was due to be back at the shop at 16h30 to spend the last 30 minutes with him before closing time at 17h00. Got delayed leaving the house as I could not find one of our cats, then was delayed further on the roads as at nearly every intersection / road leaving our area, there was a code 10 learner driver (and they drive kak around here!).

So I got to the shop a little before 17h00 and the two ladies that run the shops either side of us are hanging around our shop entrance. Immediately I think "why" they're there, only to find them coughing and spluttering chatting to hubby. Turns out that a group of coloured gents tried to rob him and hubby sprayed pepper spray at them, only for the one day in ODN to be windy, and the spray filled the shop instead! Now I'm coughing and spluttering too!

But it makes you think how vunerable you are - even in a town where there is little to no crime in general! Now it's my turn at the shop tomorrow "all on my own" and I'm getting a bit worried... these guys have obviously had the time to watch the shop and to see when we close or when it's only one of us in the shop.

I think we are going to have to start changing our routine...

Oh, and the security that is supposed to be visible in our zone at all times was nowhere to be found!

svw    10
svw
and hubby sprayed pepper spray at them, only for the one day in ODN to be windy, and the spray filled the shop instead! Now I'm coughing and spluttering too!

TE]

Throw the pepper spray away!!!!!!

I successfully pepper sprayed myself once - gust of wind blew it straight back into my face - hurt like hell! - after that I flicked it as far as I could - rather look at getting one of those stun thingies - much better and you don't have to do a 'wind test' before using!

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

We have a few stun guns between us and the spray is the long-distance type, it was just hubby's luck that the breeze "pulled" it back into the shop.

Hubby will also be speaking to our neighbour (policeman) as to the implications of "protecting" ourselves with the licensed (and fully legal) firearm he has. We are also arranging for full CCTV to be installed by a friend of ours.

I realise that this is more of an isolated incident than the norm in ODN, but it still makes you so angry and insecure that these buggers had the audacity to even try what they did.

JANDS    10
JANDS

My empathy lass. My understanding too. Unfortunately the civilised need to rapidly learn the language of the uncivilized and speak it fluently in a manner which is crystal clear.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thinking of you and hubby, Cali. Am sending safe blessings your way!