Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Mount Currie Express

Guest Guest

The man who undertook the research on the extremely rare Mt Currie Express stamp (East Griqualand) was a close friend of mine.

His name was Judge Tom Mullins (Google his name).. He convicted Mangope. In his early Magisterial days (mid 1900s) he was the Magistrate at Umzimkulu - this is where our interests overlapped. He purchased a number of the old Strachan and Co tokens paid for fines at the Magistrates Court pre-1932 and contacted me after reading my website on these tokens (see this link)

I met with Tom in 2006 at his home in Port Elizabeth. Look at the bottom of this page for related links as well as photos

I have a pair of Mount Currie Express stamps (authenticated by Johnson Philatelics (Port Elizabeth) together with all the original research undertaken by Judge Tom Mullins resulting in his book. This includes several documents, letters and an original copy of his 1982 booklet "The Mount Currie Express, the stamp of East Griqualand". (Inscribed and signed by Tom Mullins)

I am looking at putting all Tom Mullins' research, the materials referred to in the links above, the pair of Mt Currie Express stamps in my Griqua collection, and a few of the Strachan tokens he purchased from the Umzimkhulu Magistrates Court as a single lot on auction on Bid or Buy.

Before I do I need to know there is interest or they will be placed on another online auction website.

Tom Mullins passed away in 2007.

If you are a philatelist and interested in this unique collection please respond - then I will list them here.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

lilythepink

I also knew Tom Mullins.