Sign in to follow this  
lilythepink

Hellkom driving me bats ...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Yesterday, for a good part of the day from 6 a.m. onwards, I was unable to access the internet.

Now, today, I cannot send emails - received ones are coming through fine.

They did say they would be working on their systems on 7th October but today is only the 6th!

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

Time to change to the 8ta 10 gig special? R199 and no down time since they introduced the service.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I'm definitely going to look into this! Won't work out any (or much) cheaper than Hellkom.

My challenge is that our local Hellkom office has closed down and I'll have to go through to Port Elizabeth to find out more about this!

Hellkom browsing is VERY slow today! (They must have mucked things up when they worked on their servers yesterday!!)

Edited by lilythepink

phpBOB    10
phpBOB

Any mention of Hellkom and you are probably preaching to the converted :cheesy:

I ran my own ISP for many years on the south coast, and the only problems I ever had over the years were related to mail delivery to the big SA networks, ie. telkom and mweb and their various minions. The main problem is that they do very little to control their customers who are spamming, and consequently their servers spend decent amounts of time in the real time black lists. Often you can send email and it just gets silently rejected at the distant end, and you never even know it didn't deliver.

Best solutions -

1) Use Gmail, or

2) Get your own domain (lilythepink.co.za) for R50/year, and your own overseas hosting (about R25/month from Hostgator.com). No more email problems, and you can build your own website if you want to as well.

Either solution untethers you from your local ISP, and you can swap and change ISP's as you like without losing your email address.

That 8ta deal @amcintyre mentioned is a good one. I seem to remember them having a killer 20GB deal too at some stage, not too sure if thats still on. For cabled ADSL I have used Afrihost for a long time now (uncapped for R197/month), and I have an "emergency" 1GB account that rolls over month-to-month indefinitely with WebAfrica, if Afrihost happens to go down. So far hasn't happened.

Damn frustrating when things dont work ... :mad:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks phpBOB. Already have a website for our family but must start looking in to using it properly! lol

amcintyre    10
amcintyre
Thanks phpBOB. Already have a website for our family but must start looking in to using it properly! lol

Care to share that address with us?? :blink1: