Sign in to follow this  
captain emo

Arrogant sellers

captain emo    10
captain emo

Everynow now and then I like to browse through the ratings received by sellers to see if a seller is someone I may buy from in future. I particulary take note of any negative feedback and while sometimes it is clear that a seller has unjustifiably been screwed over by a buyer, it is also often clear that negative feedback is deserved. What fascinates me is the arrogance of some sellers in response to their ratings.

One of the things that comes up often an I'm paraphrasing here is "oh and I suppose it was too much effort to contact me first to sort out the problem!" If goods arrived broken as a result of postage or some other mishap but as advertised or some minor technicality then I agree the buyer should try sort it out before dishing out negative comments like LSD at a hippie party but when the goods arrive and they dont even remotely resemble the picture or description in the sellers ad then the buyer is perfectly justified in giving you negative feedback. If the goods purchase from a shop were not as advertised it would be called false advertising and would result in a lot of negative feedback for the shop involved but because the market is online sellers somehow think they are exempt from having to actually deliver on their promises. Hell some of them take offense when they get called out on being tardy in posting goods. If I as a buyer am compelled to make payment within 48 hours or have a SNC filed them I damn well expect postage within 48 hours of payment being made be me, not when it is convenient for you or when the money has been transferred from BOB's account to yours (in the case of where the payment comes via BOB). As stated the sellers have the SNC and the only weapon we as buyers have is the negative feedback so we will use it to the full extent. Consider it our warning to any future potential buyers not to deal with some of the seller who think the rules dont have to apply to them.

I have thankfully managed to avoid any problems with the exception of one moron who took great delight in telling me I should just be thankful he was even accepting my bid becuase I only had 2 ratings at that stage and sellers shouldnt have to accept bids from people with no ratings. Newsflash dipsh## you started off with no ratings as well so by your logic no one should ever buy from you becuase you had no ratings. Incidentally in case anyone was trying to figure out what seller it is, it will not appear on my list of items bought as the goods were returned and all ratings (my negative rating of him and his retaliatory negative rating given only after I had rated him) were kindly removed by BOB after being given the facts and email correspondence.

Anyway I was just curios what horror stories other buyers may have as I have scoured the forums and seen a lot of threads by sellers about how terrible us buyers are (cheap illeterate imbiciles I believe is the general arguement) but very little the other way around.

retailrush    10
retailrush

Well said Captain Emo - I am a Seller and I also cringe at some of the seller's replies to negative ratings. I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world - but politeness and common decency seem to have gone out of the window these days for "some" people. I often wonder if they would say what they say in an email to their Buyer's face... In the majority of cases, I don't think so

I think the majority of Sellers on BoB are GOOD people who try their best to service their customers in a good and proffessional manner.

I sometimes buy stuff as well - but luckily I have had only good experiences in this department. As a Seller, I have also had only good experiences - it takes hard work though. I track my parcels so that I know where they are - that way I can head off any potential problems, and it seem to be working for me so far.

JANDS    10
JANDS

Chuckle chuckle.....I read the ratings on sellers too...having a foot in both camps. The rudeness and insults are amazing. Do these dear folks not know that the questions/answers and answers to ratings are there for all to see? I steer clear of those....another favourite is the sms-talk. "U need to take ur head out of wher th proctologist found it!!!!!!" Like fifteen exclamation marks gets your point across to me you lazy twit. Bah. :amuse:

Edited by JANDS

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

I completely agree with Captain E - while I have not had a bad buying experience - all the sellers I've dealt with have been superb - I have idly scrolled through ratings of some buyers and have been horrified by some sellers' responses to their problems.

I think *touches wood* that I have been fortunate with both buyers and sellers because when dealing with books, we all have the same love of books so there is common ground there. But I have had one or two experiences when a deeeeeeeep breath was necessary - and it made all the difference because things could be sorted out without resorting to rudeness. And, by taking that deep breath, one can see the other's point of view.

I think that, because one is not trading face-to-face, the relative anonymity of the seller/buyer, can lead to a certain distance in manner which can easily lead to a lack of respect. I'm sure most of the people that have been rude to buyers/sellers would never do so if they were dealing with them in person.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Firstly,a buyer is the most important and integral component of any successful transaction.If they are illiterate imbeciles that need some spoon feeding along the way to complete the transaction,then that is what must be done.As you help them acclimatise to online trading they mostly become quite literate and very much less of an imbecile and rather friendly after a few successsful transactions-I clearly remember that i myself was an illiterate imbecile a few years back when i started trading(buying and selling online).

The most difficult part about this is the control you need when replying to a moronic question or statement.

The most common one to me is this question "i bought an item last week,paid immediately but have not yet received it"PLEASE ADVISE!!"

This is where control comes in-What you would like to say is

"The tracking number sent to you by email last week is for the purpose that you actually use this number for collection of your parcel and not for me sending timewasting or spam emails-i would advise you to get off your lazy backside and actually go to your post office and collect your parcel which has actually been waiting for a week at your postoffice,for your lazy arsed self to collect it,you LAZY ILLITERATE IMBECILE!!!

However we practise self control and instead say this "thank you for informing me that there has been a slight delay in the delivery of your parcel,

I have personally investigated and tracked your parcel and am happy to inform you that your parcel is waiting for your collection at yor post office.

If you would be so kind as to go to your post office with this tracking number which i giving to you now for the 2nd time rd####### za,i assure you,that you will be handed this parcel immediately upon signature of its receipt and everyone will be happy.Please do not hesitate to contact me in future if any problems do occur"

But as said at the beginning,bite your tongue and then be as accomodating as possible as buyers are what makes selling worthwhile and without buyers you wont have a business.Treat everyone with respect and dignity,no matter how difficult this is at times and you will never be without a buyer and sales.

NEIL

svw    10
svw

Being both a buyer and seller on bidorbuy I get to experience both sides of the coin.

When buying I always check the sellers ratings - this normally gives me an indication of what type of service I can expect and based on this I usually decide if I would like to proceed with the purchase or not.

From a sellers point of view I will always do my best to help any buyer. Quite honestly I cringe when I see how some sellers treat buyers because ultimately this can effect my sales in the future - if that seller chases away a buyer and treats him poorly the buyer may decide never to shop at bidorbuy again. Admittedly there are the times when you have to take a deep breath have a cup of coffee and then tend to the problem - makes a huge difference. With regards to dealing with new buyers - I am always very happy to have a new buyer - so what if they have had no previous experience in buying online - I always feel happy knowing that all the advertising etc that bob does is working - to grow any business this is what we all want and need is new buyers and buyers that have enjoyed their shopping experience and are happy to return time and time again...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

svw - have you actually received the plants now?

Do you plan to spend the week-end in the garden?

Thanks for the positive rating.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

We all get frustrated and angry... natural, normal and sometimes healthy. BUT, there is a right way and a wrong way to express that anger and being 'nasty' when leaving feedback is not only not right, it is far outside of wrong.

Yes, there are times when a Buyer will make me so angry I could 'spit tacks', but instead of letting my fingers pound the keys what is 'boiling over' in my head, I simply walk away and re-direct the anger: dishes, laundry, scrubbing floors, etc. IF I am still 'fit to be tied', I will 'vent' in the Forum. When it comes time to leave a less than positive feedback, it is 'just the facts, ma'am, just the facts': Winning email notification sent. SNC filed. Appealed / Rejected (when applicable). SNC complete. Very seldom do I 'go beyond' with a personal comment.

First impressions are important.... so are last impressions. In a venue such as BoB, this may be the only time my Buyer's and my path cross. They may have a 'bad taste' in their mouth when a negative rating is left, but why 'shove' the 'bad taste' down their throat until they Barney Barf-Up?

If ya can't 'say' something nice.... AnimatedSmileyZipperMouth.gif.

Ruthie

svw    10
svw
svw - have you actually received the plants now?

Do you plan to spend the week-end in the garden?

Thanks for the positive rating.

Not yet 'lily' - they are still stuck in PE. I have got the lady at the little SAPO branch I use on high alert for my parcel - she will phone me as soon as it arrives. As far as gardening this weekend I might get stuck in but not during the day the weather has been so hot 35+ so my favourite time is in the evening after it has cooled down...

kebs    10
kebs

While I agree with most of the things in the original post, I have to say that I consider it simply bad manners not to let the seller know you have a problem before leaving negative feedback.. From past experience, I know that negative feedback, 95% of the time, is never changed no matter what you do to try to rectify the problem - including offering a refund if the buyer really feels he's been cheated. I have had several email queries lately with this postal truck driver's strike, & I answer every one as soon as I am able to (sometimes I'm at work). I appreciate every one who has rather asked me what's going on, then simply leaving bad feedback. I have also bought items here on bidorbuy, & on 2 occasions were not happy - I emailed both sellers first before leaving feedback. The one sorted out the problem in no time for me - a simple packaging error as we're all human.. The second did nothing, despite several emails... So I left negative feedback at least feeling I had tried first from my side. Communication is always the key.. At the end of the day, both buyer & seller need to be happy with the transaction, & I personally will do everything I can to make sure my buyers are happy..

miraclebabycaw    10
miraclebabycaw

I have to agree with Kebs. Buyers also use negative ratings as a "tool" instead of actually sending you an email to express their indignation. yes if they've sent you emails and tried to contact you and they can't get any satisfaction then by all means rate negative as sometimes it is the only way to get a person's attention, but at least have the decency to try. People don't change negative ratings most of the time, and it can be really frustrating. My first ever negative was waaay back when, when a guy bought a comforter set from me. I specifically stated the size of the pillowcases on the auction as they were not continental pillowcase sizes. He rated me negative because it was not standard sizes..I offered him a refund, he told me to stick it, but never changed his rating. You can't deal with people like that. My second negative was the same. Guy from America buys toys then rates me negative saying he could have gotten cheaper over there..so I offer a refund as well..not another word from him and no change in ratings. With both of these guys they immediately rated negative and did not bother to mail me or call me first so we could sort it out. I can understand how sellers can get so tired of buyers and lash back because it's damn annoying. I wish BOB would introduce a message system for buyers though as well like sellers have to send a Message about a particular order via the BOB system as well so you have "proof" of things as well

phpBOB    10
phpBOB

If you have been doing this for a while then its quite easy to become jaded. And, even worse if you are moving low value items and making just a few bob on each. How many back and forth emails does it take to get frustrated if you going to make R5 on the deal ? Its no excuse though, after all this is a service industry. But, human nature does sneak up on you at some stage :mad:

But, you guys that are trolling the ratings need to turn somebody elses "sows ear" into your "silk purse".

step 1: Note what they are selling.

step 2: You sell the same stuff, but keep an excellent rating.

step 3: You bank while they fold !!

Damn, I think I have been doing this Internet selling thingie for wayyyy to long :cheesy:

Anyway, this is my post #1, so greets to all on the board.

Peace,

Alan

JANDS    10
JANDS

Careful Alan, there are some twisted souls that troll these forums. This place is like the Hotel California......

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

... such a lovely place ...?

svw    10
svw
Careful Alan, there are some twisted souls that troll these forums. This place is like the Hotel California......

... such a lovely place ...?

....You can check-out anytime you like, .... :cool:

captain emo    10
captain emo

@Kebs, Im sorry if my post came across as advocating buyers bypassing the need for communication as that was not my intent. I agree that 99% of problems can and should be solved with a little maturity and solid communication between the buyer and seller. my point was to highlight sellers who try turn a problem onto the buyer when it is clear that they themselves are in the wrong.

If goods arrive and they arent quite the colour the buyer expected then I agree the issue should be resolved amicably and if it can't be solve then at the most give a neutral rating. Negative ratings are for when things dont work,cant/wont be replaced and are clearly not what was adveritised. if goods are advertised as brand new and when they arrive it is clear they have been used and abused more times than Pamela Anderson then give a negative rating if and only if you have made sure the advertising was false.

I think at the end of the day it takes some maturity on the part of all parties. Before firing away with a negative comment go through the following checklist

1) Stop

2) Breathe deeply

3) Step away from the keyboard

4) Assess what the problem is

5) Assess if it can be solved with an email or phone call

6) Assess if it needs to actually be resolved or is it minor enough to live with. Life's too short to be petty (e.g. 2nd hand means there will be some marks on an item). I know Kebs will appreciate this one because I see a lot of fools give him/her grief about games having scratches when they are clearly indicated as second hand

7) For buyers think 'did I read correctly", for sellers think "is my ad clear and accurate"

8) Email buyer or selelr

9) Give other party a reasonable time to respond ie do not blow a fuse if you dont get a reply in 5 minutes

10) If you have followed step up to this point or if the problem is so serious that points may not apply, leave a constructive and concise negative comment. State the reason negative feedback without resolving to name calling, racism, sexism or xenophobia

11) Do not enter a flame war if your negative comment gets a negative response. if it is clear that you have been negatively rated in retaliation take the matter up with Bob.

I was going to make it a 12 step list but the AA told me they have a copyright on the whole 12 step thing.

JANDS    10
JANDS

Just bought an item for under R100-00. Told enough times that everything but their method of transportation is absolutely my risk to the point that shiveringly I pay the R75-00 courier and ask to be notified on what day the parcel arrives so I can arrange to be here. (I was ignored when asking if they would consider a speed-service which is also safe in my experience. This would have saved me hanging around.) Parcel duly arrives safely with 12 delicate items sandwhiched between a folded over piece of cardboard- no protection, two broken. I open this in front of the courier and at this stage am just happy it arrived as I can fix the broken items.

I chat to the courier chap and discover to my delight that they are hell of a reasonable with their rates. I can send a parcel to Cape Town (A4) for about R35-00. :wtf: I just paid R75 from Cape Town to Mossel Bay.

So....I write to the seller and tell him I am unhappy with the packaging and his excessive postage especially considering the packaging done by an elephant with no feet and that I would like to resolve this amicably. The reply: "I spoke to my boss about the situation. He said that you can send back the parcel and we will refund you the amount paid for the chess set as soon as it arrives."

F**k me sideways.....thanks man! So I can pay a total of around a R100-00 in shipping to get my refund of an item I am not unhappy with? Check me grovelling with gratitude.

Think I should fix those two objects and send them my 350-00/hour account via a courier at a cost of R120-00.

Tell you what though, regardless of the outcome, Cuan and Bennet are lightning-fast with their responses, so regardless of the outcome, that pacified me. Thanks guys.

kebs    10
kebs
@Kebs, Im sorry if my post came across as advocating buyers bypassing the need for communication as that was not my intent. I agree that 99% of problems can and should be solved with a little maturity and solid communication between the buyer and seller. my point was to highlight sellers who try turn a problem onto the buyer when it is clear that they themselves are in the wrong.

If goods arrive and they arent quite the colour the buyer expected then I agree the issue should be resolved amicably and if it can't be solve then at the most give a neutral rating. Negative ratings are for when things dont work,cant/wont be replaced and are clearly not what was adveritised. if goods are advertised as brand new and when they arrive it is clear they have been used and abused more times than Pamela Anderson then give a negative rating if and only if you have made sure the advertising was false.

I think at the end of the day it takes some maturity on the part of all parties. Before firing away with a negative comment go through the following checklist

1) Stop

2) Breathe deeply

3) Step away from the keyboard

4) Assess what the problem is

5) Assess if it can be solved with an email or phone call

6) Assess if it needs to actually be resolved or is it minor enough to live with. Life's too short to be petty (e.g. 2nd hand means there will be some marks on an item). I know Kebs will appreciate this one because I see a lot of fools give him/her grief about games having scratches when they are clearly indicated as second hand

7) For buyers think 'did I read correctly", for sellers think "is my ad clear and accurate"

8) Email buyer or selelr

9) Give other party a reasonable time to respond ie do not blow a fuse if you dont get a reply in 5 minutes

10) If you have followed step up to this point or if the problem is so serious that points may not apply, leave a constructive and concise negative comment. State the reason negative feedback without resolving to name calling, racism, sexism or xenophobia

11) Do not enter a flame war if your negative comment gets a negative response. if it is clear that you have been negatively rated in retaliation take the matter up with Bob.

I was going to make it a 12 step list but the AA told me they have a copyright on the whole 12 step thing.

At last, some-one who understands!! & reads descriptions!! Thank you!!! :biggrin: Yes, the second hand / scratch thingy is very annoying!!! I know I sometimes act in haste when replying.. But I always send an email as well to try to sort it out - so few bother to reply though..

I must say though, with regards to postage issues - I have it in my payment section when the next postage date is, & I've never had anyone complain.. This leads me to believe that the people who do moan about postage delays (current strike not included!), must have a viable gripe, or else I just have seriously chilled buyers! I always smile to myself when I read replies to these complaints as I know from experience, the majority of buyers are happy just knowing the postage date & pending tracking number.. All the excuses the sellers come up with are amusing! Good old Dan comes to mind.. :weeabooface:

P.S. I'm a "her"...

captain emo    10
captain emo

After reading Jands and Kebs posts I had a bit of a think about my own thread regarding high postage costs and I realised I was out of line. My issue is not with high postage costs its with costs being perceived as high because no care is taken to ensure goods arrive unbroken. I had a Mp3 player arrive just wrapped in some brown tape, no envelope or anything. Getting a refund (due to product arriving broken) was not a problem so I still gave a positive rating. Its completely off topic to this thread but perhaps in time BOB could have an additional description box on an auction (in addition to the current price, when the auction ends and whether the godds are new or second hand). This description would be a short summary of the postage prices and how goods would be packaged. For example it would look like this Econopost R40 for first item R15 for additional items - Bubble wrap envelope. I think this would put buyers it a much better positing to decide who they would like to do business with and i believe would cut down on the number of negative ratings for goods arriving damaged.

I like Kebs touch of stating when the next postage date is (should be manadatory on ads), now if only we could teach people to read and understand that information.

Lastly,"P.S. I'm a "her"...", female gamers = a rarity and generally hot.

kebs    10
kebs

:bigsmile::embarrest: