Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Possible illegal items

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

As a licensed amateur ham radio operator, my hubby has pointed out a few radios that are being sold / offered on BoB that are illegal in terms of ICASA's rules and regulations. (we did a search for "radio transceivers" and there are several listings from various users locally and abroad - and surprisingly also from a Top Seller!)

Basically, handheld (or base station) transceiver radios that operate over a certain wattage or outside of a certain band width are not allowed to be bought or sold without a license (for the seller and buyer alike - seller must have a dealers' licence, and the buyer must have done the examinations to obtain a ZR/ZS/ZU callsign!).

It would be appreciated if this could be looked at as this is considered a serious offence in the radio society / ICASA.

See below chart for frequencies that are allowed for license-free individuals - and radios on these channels are not allowed to transmit more than 500mW of power - the radios listed are 3W and over!

PMR 446 (Licence Exempt 2)

FREQ Mode STATION ID

446.00625 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.01875 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.03125 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.04375 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.05625 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.06875 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.08125 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

446.09375 FM 12.5 FREE TO PUBLIC ACCESS CTCSS

Also:

There are several chunks of radio spectrum that are license-free, provided you use them within the prescribed specs.

The most common ones are around 403MHz and 433MHz and are used for things like garage door remote controls, car alarm remotes, wireless burglar alarm systems and the like.

Another one, somewhere around 462MHz, I think, provides about five channels for voice communications. You will find relatively inexpensive two-way radios for sale at places like Makro, HiFi Corporation, Outdoor Warehouse, Cape Union Mart etc that work in this band only. The power restriction in this band is 500mW, which is good for a few km line of sight and several hundred metres indoors.

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Hope you've reported this to CW, Cali!

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

Virtually if not all of the no name cell phones for sale on BOB are not ICASA approved ,virtually none of the sim card operated alarm systems are ICASA approved , its an open market , if someone cant get it here it can be gotten in lots of other places ,

most of the imported car alarm systems that work on RF are outside of the 2400 mhz band and are illegal in SA , ( they are sold at all flea markets country wide ) as long as the items dont interfere with the marnet system and airways no one is going to worry ,who is going to catch you , thousands of contractors use high wattage rf systems without licences , and many more use RF transcievers without licenses , nobody cares , I had a ZR... license , i canned it years ago its a joke ,nobody polices it , ( its like conservation nobody cares anymore . ) my 2 way radios have over 400 active channels , I cant use all of them , only one at a time , who is going to sit and monitor the channels , for vagrants , this is Africa .There are far bigger issues to worry about , like school books ,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!Very very difficult to control , and not only that,,do the authorities care about it , ???.Just my opinion , im not attacking anyone.

Bargain Coins    10
Bargain Coins

all my skippers me included have operators tickets, all the boats have all three types radios. this is checked every year on survey by SAMSA. the problem is when you apply for your annual licence you receive the licence after it expired and the next is due. never in 25 years has anyone requested to see my licence.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

That's the problem with our laws - most of them are excellent but they are never properly applied so become useless.

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

I think the powers that be are more concerned about bigger issues ,,, bigger cars ,,, bigger houses ,,,, bigger salarys ,,, to worry about other things , Isay as long as the frequency and power output are not frying your next door neighbour nobody will complain ,

besides most of the two way radios only put out around 100mw irrespective of what the box says , it may say 4 watt, but it will be regulated by the factory down to LPD spec ,at 1watt your battery will only last a few minutes , but also its not continuous broadcasting its intermittant probably usually over a fairly large distance while travelling walking etc , if you were transmitting continuously from home on a Marnet channel at 10 Watt , someone will hunt you down and do something nasty ,how will someone catch me with my Midland driving to Hotashell on a sunday talking occasionally to my wife behind me in the trailer .I have a non ICASA cellphone purchased on BoB and MTN has never said a word .Let sleeping dogs lie ,

just dont cancell your operators liscence if you have one .But then again if im stuck at sea with a 10 watt tranciever and no liscence I certainly would use it , and I can almost guarantee no one will ask you for the liscence afterwards .How many TV sets and videos and TV computer cards and TV phones are sold on BoB without asking for TV liscences ??? its virtually uncontrollable .without all the goods that need liscensing on BoB,:cheesy: it would be empty . Im ranting again , maybe its the heat ,36 deg today .

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

Gauteng has a swimming pool bylaw , 60 000 pools and 3 pool checkers 15 pools a day ,2 hours under a tree,, do the maths , I dont think my pool fence and gate ,will be inspected in my lifetime .

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

I would like to see the powers that be on BoB monitoring goods more effectively , and a clause which states all goods must be in a working condition ,for use in SA.

2 purchases last month , first item dead out of the box , second died in two weeks both had visible signs of trying to be opened by someone ,languages are in spanish and cant be deciphered , software upgrades supplied by seller dont work , unit switches off all the time , contacted the local agents Vodafone and items are not suitable for use in SA only in Europe .bullshi....d once again by unscrupulous sellers , purchased without warranty , scr...d once again as items are not serviceable by Distributors .They do look nice sitting on my desk holding my papers down though.Two identical paperweights , next to the Dell laptop computer holding the other papers down on my other table which Dell also cant service because seller put in a password which Dell cant remove.Seller denies it Dell says he contacted them to try remove it before he sold it.Its a chance you take when buying second hand or on auction ,its like buying fish at a petshop some make it home others well they dont !

Edited by mrmouse