Sign in to follow this  
King_Paul

Mysterious bidders with no history pushing up cost auction items

King_Paul

Is it just me or maybe other people have seen it too. When you are winning an auction some bidder outbids you. Now this bidder has zero buying history. I had a bid on two identical items from the same seller. At the same time I was outbid on both items by two different buyers with zero history of buying anything on the site and they both stopped bidding after R150 ? I wonder if these sellers dont have other profiles on bid or buy that they use to push up the prices on their auction items.

Anybody else notice the same thing happening?

Miss Jewels

Absolutely! And often it's bidders who registered the same day the specific auctions opened.:confused:

King_Paul
Absolutely! And often it's bidders who registered the same day the specific auctions opened.:confused:

I wonder if you can report suspicious bidding. I checked the other items these guys are selling and on most of them their is bidder that just bumbs the price up by a couple of hundred rand. I only checked the more expensive items on sale....

JohnBenn

Sounds like a shill bidder.Contact Admin he should be able to see if it is.

Jongleur
Is it just me or maybe other people have seen it too. When you are winning an auction some bidder outbids you. Now this bidder has zero buying history. I had a bid on two identical items from the same seller. At the same time I was outbid on both items by two different buyers with zero history of buying anything on the site and they both stopped bidding after R150 ? I wonder if these sellers dont have other profiles on bid or buy that they use to push up the prices on their auction items.

Anybody else notice the same thing happening?

This is why I never bid on "discreet" items or against "discreet" bidders. Cuts out most of the scammers.

amcintyre

Or you bid on an item that has been open for a few weeks and has no bids. you place a bid and immediately get outbid within 5 minutes.

Jongleur
Or you bid on an item that has been open for a few weeks and has no bids. you place a bid and immediately get outbid within 5 minutes.

Or you get outbid, stop bidding and lo and behold the next morning you receive a "personal offer".

admin

Hi King_Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

Shill bidding is monitored by the Security team. I had a look at the trades you mentioned in your post, that seller always has new users bidding on his items, with no links to him on the system, must be because of the type of items he is selling. bidorbuy spends millions each month on advertising and I am happy to say that it looks to be paying off with the amount of new users registering on a daily basis.

Should you suspect shill bidding, you can just click on the "Report a problem" link in any listing.

wvdm1
Or you get outbid, stop bidding and lo and behold the next morning you receive a "personal offer".

I'm sitting with the same problem!

I'm bidding/bid on behalf of a friend who really really wants the item(collector's piece in militaria),but I hate being ripped off or being taken for a ride.

My bid was automated to the max my pal was willing to pay.We got outbid by R25 and suddenly,with 2days to go,the seller cans the auction and I get a personal offer:"Although you did not win the auction, the seller ******** would like to offer you the item at your highest bid amount:"

Now,since I cant directly communicate with the seller,can ADMIN plz advise as to why I cant get the item at the last price BEFORE no-name brand mystery buyer conveniently pushed up the price?

If it was for myself,I wouldve waited for the guy to relist,or to buy from someone else if a similar item came up again...

qball

You will need to supply us with the trade ID in question for us to investigate. Thank you.

wvdm1
You will need to supply us with the trade ID in question for us to investigate. Thank you.

Hi,

reported and got this ref no Ticket ID: IUG-223-67217 if that helps.

Regards

qball
Hi,

reported and got this ref no Ticket ID: IUG-223-67217 if that helps.

Regards

There is no evidence of shill bidding and no links between the buyer and seller. The buyer is based in the USA, the listing states only Local SA buyers, that is why the item has been made as a personal offer to you, as the seller does not ship to the USA.

wvdm1
There is no evidence of shill bidding and no links between the buyer and seller. The buyer is based in the USA, the listing states only Local SA buyers, that is why the item has been made as a personal offer to you, as the seller does not ship to the USA.

Thanx for following up/clearing that up for me!Thumbs up to Admin!

My question now tho,all things being equal,why should I pay a now-inflated price by someone that cant buy it anyway? Any guidelines on this?

qball

It's a personal offer, you don't have to accept it :biggrin:

wvdm1
It's a personal offer, you don't have to accept it :biggrin:

Thx,I didnt,the R3k is still happily sitting in my bank acc.

coosthuiz

I'm suspecting something similar. There is an item that has had no bids for about a week, and right after I started bidding someone outbids me. Doesn't sound right...