Sign in to follow this  
catzcan

Postal Services Delay - Truck Driver Strike

catzcan    10
catzcan

:evil: Once again we can expect delays in delivery of parcells. I was informed by our post office this morning that the don't expect any post deliveries for at least the rest of the week. Nothing will be collected from them either. Just thought you should know

moodTime    10
moodTime

Can't Bidorbuy post a notice on the site or product listing pages when events like this happen? I was just on another very popular online retailer, they have the following message posted on every product page:

Truck drivers’ strike notice

26 Sept 2012: The current transport workers’ strike may cause a disruption to our normal delivery. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

At lease then buyers know there may be delays.

qball    11
qball

It has been posted on our Help News section and shortly on our blog.

Please note, we do not deal with the SAPO or transport companies nor do we ship products so we may not know exactly what is happening, we would advise sellers to mention this in their Shipping area, and on their listings and in communication with their buyers.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for the news, catzcan.

HDMI    10
HDMI

I just received notification from one buyer that an item arrived being damaged. This being an extremely well packaged parcel. I suspect this might be due to the strike. Please take precautionary measures when sending goods. I did post a special note to buyers informing all of the slight delay due to the strike. From past experience, I know that the post office claim process does take long,therefore I'd rather have an item arriving a day or 2 later than a tiring claim process or the buyer receiving items broken. The post office only pays out if an item gets missing, not for damage. Thanks to all the buyers for your understanding. Have a wonderfull shopping experience!!

Personalize    10
Personalize

I am new to Bidorbuy. And I am starting to sell on bidorbuy this coming week. However when I mentioned to a few friends of selling

online I got alot of negative response regarding postage and delivery times. I just came across this thread, and now I am even more

hesitant to start selling. Is strikes like these a regular accuring thing? And if so what is the best delivery time to state in my shipping

option? Does a seller actualy have to mention to buyers about postal strikes, does this not put a buyer off?

And when there is a strike does this mean no post is delivered until the strik is over?

Thanx

Dan

moodTime    10
moodTime
I am new to Bidorbuy. And I am starting to sell on bidorbuy this coming week. However when I mentioned to a few friends of selling

online I got alot of negative response regarding postage and delivery times. I just came across this thread, and now I am even more

hesitant to start selling. Is strikes like these a regular accuring thing? And if so what is the best delivery time to state in my shipping

option? Does a seller actually have to mention to buyers about postal strikes, does this not put a buyer off?

And when there is a strike does this mean no post is delivered until the strik is over?

Thanx

Dan

Not that often, but you will have to be prepared to compensate buyers should parcels get lost, damaged or stolen. During the Post Office strike a few months ago, 3 of my parcels just disappeared, assuming they were stolen or destroyed during the strike action. I did read the HUB workers damaged the post office property and parcels, needless to say I had to take the loss and compensate my customers. The most important thing you need to do if you are planning to sell products is to familiarize yourself with the CPA.

Hope this helps.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Welcome to the forum, Personalize. We don't have too many strikes affecting us as far as delivery is concerned. When the strikes happen, it's just a good measure to mention it in your listings that there might be a delay in delivery and, if you can, send out a message to all buyers who are waiting for their parcels from you so they understand that there might be a delay.

Selling on BoB is a fantastic thing and 99% of your experiences with sales will be good ones!

catzcan    10
catzcan
It has been posted on our Help News section and shortly on our blog.

Please note, we do not deal with the SAPO or transport companies nor do we ship products so we may not know exactly what is happening, we would advise sellers to mention this in their Shipping area, and on their listings and in communication with their buyers.

Would BoB be such a successfull company without the postal services/transport companies? Maybe it is time to at least start communications with the major companies, of which SAPO would probably be the biggest, regarding some of the issues out there. How much is spent by BoB sellers at SAPO in a Year?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think that the suggestion is excellent, catzcan, but I doubt that BoB would be able to do much about SAPO services.

Is it not possible that BoB might be compared with a dairy which produces milk but cannot control the cheesemakers?

Wild Olive Art    11
Wild Olive Art

I have personally had no problems with delivery of any of my parcels in the last week and items that I have bought have been delivered promptly . I have posted to both Gauteng and the Cape without any trouble.

Personalize    10
Personalize
Would BoB be such a successfull company without the postal services/transport companies? Maybe it is time to at least start communications with the major companies, of which SAPO would probably be the biggest, regarding some of the issues out there. How much is spent by BoB sellers at SAPO in a Year?

Exactly. That is a point Bob should consider. It seems its easy to just raise their shoulders and say its not their problem. But surely selling on bob means posting and sending anything that a seller has sold. And if a company as big and as well known as bob can stand by the sellers regarding postal strikes then, it will say alot about the bigest leading online marketplace. Simple news flash on home page, maybe, Or a news letter of some sort. But offcourse it easy to say these things sitting and selling from my couch. I guess a online marketplace can only do so much.

Personalize    10
Personalize

Exactly. That is a point Bob should consider. It seems its easy to just raise their shoulders and say its not their problem. But surely selling on bob means posting and sending anything that a seller has sold. And if a company as big and as well known as bob can stand by the sellers regarding postal strikes then, it will say alot about the bigest leading online marketplace. Simple news flash on home page, maybe, Or a news letter of some sort. But offcourse it easy to say these things sitting and selling from my couch. I guess a online marketplace can only do so much.

DIY PRODUCTS    10
DIY PRODUCTS

I have just got back from the Post Office. All of last weeks parcels are STILL standing there uncollected. The staff offer no additional information and have a very no care attitude to point out that its not SAPO its the Truck drivers, I am trying to find out if the Speed Services Courrier option is also affected, they cant tell me. I would think not for some reason but I would like to know if any sellers sending SS are experiencing the same issues or not as I think it would then be best to ship parcels Speed Services to buyers. Please let me know if you have anymore info on this, will be much appreciated.

qball    11
qball

It is unfortunately not our problem... We are not the seller or supplier, we have no say or influence over the postal services, strikes or poor service from the postal services. Not everyone uses the postal services, there are many delivery options offered by sellers, it is the seller's responsibility to communicate this with their clients. To add to this, this has been highly publicized in the press.

Edited by qball

qball    11
qball

That would be up to the sellers who ARE clients of the SAPO to take this up with them directly. We are not SAPO clients, we do not benefit from any of their services. A seller does not have to use the postal services, there are other, safer, and just as cost effective ways to ship goods.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think that, as I tried to say above, different businesses have different functions. I cannot see SAPO ever making a deal with BoB, as it no doubt does not make special "deals" with any other institutions that I know of!

qball    11
qball

We are merely a market place, we just provide the platform, we are not a delivery company, we are not involved in shipping, delivery or posting items.

Deemas Designs    10
Deemas Designs

Hi,

Im a seller on bob and think that bob is very unfair to us as you say "nfortunately not our problem... We are not the seller or supplier, we have no say or influence over the postal services, strikes or poor service from the postal service" so how is it our fault as the seller that post is on stick or say they loss a parcel. It seems as bob dose not care about its sellers that PAY to put our items on the site and just saying without us there would be NO BIDORBUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

qball    11
qball
Hi,

Im a seller on bob and think that bob is very unfair to us as you say "nfortunately not our problem... We are not the seller or supplier, we have no say or influence over the postal services, strikes or poor service from the postal service" so how is it our fault as the seller that post is on stick or say they loss a parcel. It seems as bob dose not care about its sellers that PAY to put our items on the site and just saying without us there would be NO BIDORBUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately the above is true, it is not our concern nor our responsibility to manage or control your shipping and delivery issues. You as the seller decided to use the Postal Services to ship your products, not bidorbuy, therefore it is your responsibility to manage this and liaise with your buyers. Without buyers there would be no bidorbuy and you would not have any sales. You pay us because you make sales, this does not mean we must be responsible for all the decisions you make and the issues you have as a seller and handle the customer service for you when buyers complain about late delivery or postal delays. It's your business we are talking about, not bidorbuy's, therefore you should take responsibility for it.

Would you like a HUGE red banner on our home page discouraging buyers to use the site because the Post Office is on strike... ? :whistling:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Well, our Grahamstown Post Offices (yes, we actually have two in the little city!) are accepting parcels again so, hopefully, delivery will be effected safely to our buyers. Maybe there is a backlog and the parcels will take a couple of days longer to reach their destinations though.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

It never ceases to amaze me how SAPO works - it takes a parcel from Oudtshoorn to New Zealand six days to arrive at it's destination (and about 9 days to Canada), yet a parcel takes longer to get to me when it is sent from just up the road (182km away to be exact)!

So:

+-11000km = 6 days

+-13000km = 9 days

182km = so far 5 days just to get to George which is 55km past it's destination! (hasn't been delivered yet!!!)

JANDS    10
JANDS
Hi,

It intrigues me. Would one exclamation mark not suffice? :wtf:

A friend of mine started his own site a few years back to sell his stuff. End of year one the account was somewhere near 25 big ones.....this platform costs us nothing if we are not successful.

Cali Craft and Gems

And here we go again... same buyer, different day, new depth of rudeness and attitude!

I've told him (for the millionth time) that if his parcel is stuck at the distribution hub, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I have suggested though that if he really has a problem with his parcel being delayed, then that he should go to his post office branch and give his views to the branch manager instead and see what the outcome is.

Most buyers have been very understanding, except for this one!

Cali Craft and Gems

Latest update:

This buyer sent me another email to which replied asking him what he would like me to do - what would make him a happy buyer?

His reply was interesting... he must have taken a while to think about what he wanted to say, but ultimately his latest view is that he has done nothing wrong - him rating me negative (unfairly) was justified and I had no right in asking bidorbuy to look at the matter which resulted in them removing the rating based on the situation. He claims that I am the one that has been "rude" although "communicating in polished and refined it very proper" (copied from his email). He also now claims that I started the whole saga by blaming him and accusing him (of what I do not know).

Goodness gracious - what is floating in the air up in Pretoria that leaves buyers dazed and semi-concious? He jumped down my throat from the word go with his nastiness about the parcel being delayed due to the strike, and apparently I started it?

Sorry to say, but it is buyers like this that I would appreciate if they did not buy from me. Even BoB looked at the whole situation and could see that the parcel was dispatched very quickly after payment (oh, and I've been blamed for the "extended delay" of the dispatch too...).

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems