Sign in to follow this  
Cold Sea

A Pretty Pair

Cold Sea

ZAR stamps were initiated by Friedrich Jeppe, postmaster at Potchefstroom. Various designs were used for these issues which ran from 1869 to 1909. In 1894, two years after the Kruger pond double shaft OS debacle, the Transvaal government issued stamps depicting a double shaft ox wagon on the coat of arms, the only year with this error. I am no expert, but from what I can gather they were printed in Germany and sell for a premium. A perfect addition to the collection for the lucky few.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3979[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3980[/ATTACH]

Edited by Cold Sea

ATA STAMP CENTRE
ZAR stamps were initiated by Friedrich Jeppe, postmaster at Potchefstroom. Various designs were used for these issues which ran from 1869 to 1909. In 1894, two years after the Kruger pond double shaft OS debacle, the Transvaal government issued stamps depicting a double shaft ox wagon on the coat of arms, the only year with this error. I am no expert, but from what I can gather they were printed in Germany and sell for a premium. A perfect addition to the collection for the lucky few.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3979[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3980[/ATTACH]

HI

I would rather have the coin,thank you very much-The stamps are not rare at all and very common-The 1894 issue with wagon and single shaft was a set of 5 values to 1 shilling-the lower denominations were all issued in excess of 1,2 million stamps and the 1 shilling had an issue of 350 000 -

An unmounted full set like this is only catalogued at R200 AND for used set R160-Although there is a lot of interest in this area there is a large supply available so they do not attain a premium,normally fetching about 1/2 of catalogue value-Add to this the fact that the plates were never destroyed and this resulted in huge amounts of reprints/counterfeits coming on to the market for this period.

In 1896 they issued the stamp with the oxwagon and "disselboom" in set tof 9 to 2/6 shillings and these also were in large quantities and also subject to reprints so the value is also rather low.

NEIL

Cold Sea

Thanks Neil,

I saw a complete set in blocks of four selling for USD 750.00 (asking price) and did not know what to make of it. But you are right, I would rather have the coin.

Derick

Pierre_Henri
Thanks Neil,

I saw a complete set in blocks of four selling for USD 750.00 (asking price) and did not know what to make of it. But you are right, I would rather have the coin.

Derick

Still super interesting Derrick - I truly have never seen the double shaft on a ZAR stamp so a mighty interesting surprize for me.

What does the price matter when one sees these very interesting items?

One learns something new & interesting everyday even if you think you are well informed in/on your hobby.

Thanks a lot.

Pierre