Sign in to follow this  
freddier

Goldstone?

freddier

I bought a (blue) goldstone cab on BOB - supposedly being a natural stone. I am familiar with the brownish goldstone and know that it's synthetic. I also notice that similar synthetics are available in blues, greens etc. Does anyone know of a natural stone that has a tradename of goldstone?? The inclusions within the cab that I bought look very similar to that found in the brownish goldstones.

Cali Craft and Gems

Goldstone was first created in the 17th century by the Miotti family (folklore states by Italian monks), and has since been copied in the Far East. It is available in several colours, the most popular being the brown shade (often mislabelled as Sunstone or Sandstone), the blue one (also known as Sitara) and now green has entered the market (we have rough in stock, just waiting for our tumbles for the shop).

Goldstone is created with chips of copper set in glass and supposedly coloured with vegetable dye originally. It has also been called "Venetian Glass" at times. There are many names used for this gem, but under no circumstances is it actually a natural stone.

I have a book at my shop which explains everything about Goldstone if you would like me to get more info for you.

The natural "equivalent" (if you could call it that) is Sunstone. Another close stone is Red Aventurine, but it has very little to no sparkle (unlike it's green counterpart which sometimes has some sparkle due to Mica inclusions).

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems