Sign in to follow this  
svw

Screening Plants

svw    10
svw

A bit of assistance from fellow gardeners - I am needing some ideas on FAST GROWING screening plants - suitable for highveld conditions. Plants that reach a height of 6 to 10 m - can be anything as long as it is fast growing! I have looked at bamboo - the variety that is available in SA grows about 1.5m per year - I would prefer the one that grows 50cm per day but we cannot import it from China. I have also looked at the upright 'bottle brush' - pepper tree and ficus but they still seem a bit slow growing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Sue

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Sheesh, that's high...Seeds should know.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I can recommend blue (single flowers but beautiful) hibiscus bushes which grow very, very quickly from cuttings which I am prepared to sell to you (as many cuttings as you want for R1.00 with R30 for postage!). They grow up tall (6 ft and over are the ones I have) and flower prolifically through summer. They do lose their leaves in winter which might mean their screening is not so good then. If you know what a broom spanish looks like (it's also a good screening plant) then this is the shape the blue hibiscus bushes have when fully grown.

svw    10
svw
Sheesh, that's high...Seeds should know.

It is high BUT I need to block out a 'cluster !@#%' and unfortunately the two trees I had growing on that side were poisoned by a 'Mr Nobody' who paid us a visit and emptied some vile substance at the base of the trees not realizing that it would find it's way to the roots - I was waiting for Spring to see if they would recover but Spring has sprung and nothing - just dead twigs!

svw    10
svw
I can recommend blue (single flowers but beautiful) hibiscus bushes which grow very, very quickly from cuttings which I am prepared to sell to you (as many cuttings as you want for R1.00 with R30 for postage!). They grow up tall (6 ft and over are the ones I have) and flower prolifically through summer. They do lose their leaves in winter which might mean their screening is not so good then. If you know what a broom spanish looks like (it's also a good screening plant) then this is the shape the blue hibiscus bushes have when fully grown.

Ooh - I LIKE!!!!!! Blue Hibiscus is stunning, very unusual - I have quite a lot of Hibiscus Plants in my garden but not Blue. I don't think that they will grow tall enough for what I am needing but they will be super put in front of some taller trees - will they survive being posted?

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Some suggestions for you:

Halleria lucida

Calodendrum capense

Searsia (Rhus) chirindensis

Brachylaena discolor

Olinia emarginata

Most young plants will need protection from frost, and will need to be shaped in order to ensure that they grow upwards rather than spread outwards.

Oh and there is also:

Ilex mitis (which needs a LOT of water - or to be planted in a very damp spot)

Dais cotinifolia (only grows to about 5 - 6 metres)

Edited by MsPlod
afterthought...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Ooh - I LIKE!!!!!! Blue Hibiscus is stunning, very unusual - I have quite a lot of Hibiscus Plants in my garden but not Blue. I don't think that they will grow tall enough for what I am needing but they will be super put in front of some taller trees - will they survive being posted?

It's worth a try at only R31.00, I think! I'll pack carefully and make sure the bottoms are wrapped in wet paper towel inside a plastic bag with the tops sticking out. I could overnight them for you, too, but I think that costs about R80.00 - depending where you are? I'd happily give them to you if you could collect them but BoB say anything here needs to be sold! lol Send me a PM if you want the cuttings!

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Ms Plod's Calodendrum Capense is a brilliant idea - they're stunning, stunning, stunning. Something that will grow fast too, that you could plant in front of the slower growing trees and are easy and beautiful shrubs/trees (and grow quickly) is Buddleja Saligna. They're very tough.

And I think every garden should have a Dias Cotinifolia :wub:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

This seems to be turning into a gardening column. Let's keep it going and have wonderful gardens ...

JANDS    10
JANDS

Flowering Star Jasmine at the front door, no lawn and indigenous for me. Watering grass only to cut it again is disturbing. A waste of time. But hey, thats me.....:blink:

svw    10
svw
Flowering Star Jasmine at the front door, no lawn and indigenous for me. Watering grass only to cut it again is disturbing. A waste of time. But hey, thats me.....:blink:

I also have Jasmine growing against the walls of the house - love it - just wish it would flower for longer! A couple of years back I also reduced the size of the lawn - ripped up all the lawn in the front garden [much to hubby's disgust!] replanting with wild irises and clivias under the trees - birds love it but unfortunately so do the cats :twisted:

svw    10
svw

I would just like to say a 'big thanks' to everyone for their suggestions - I really appreciate it!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Something that will grow fast too, that you could plant in front of the slower growing trees and are easy and beautiful shrubs/trees (and grow quickly) is Buddleja Saligna. They're very tough.

And I think every garden should have a Dias Cotinifolia :wub:

The Buddleja is a very good idea indeed. Wind and frost hardy. Screening shrubbery is a VERY good way to get the trees growing UP rather than outwards. Regarding the Dais, they are gorgeous!! Most of the trees I recommended are ornamentals and indigenous too. This country has close to 24,000 flowering plants so there is very little reason to plant anything other than indigenous unless you REALLY have to or specifically want to.

JANDS    10
JANDS

That heady scent of Jasmine as you stand at the door......oh my.....absolutely intoxicating. The delicate flowers are so unassuming.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

We also have the heady scent of Jasmine in our garden - it's wonderful walking out the back door in the mornings!

And, like Jan and Sue, we prefer a small lawn! (The Beak needs it to roam around the garden whilst pulling new shoots and buds off the flowering plants! Bad bird!)

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

My indigenous jasmine is my pride and joy. It's only about a foot high and has been for three years now - with no sign of flowers. It was the first thing I planted when we moved here and I was told it would never survive the extreme cold. Ha! It may not be growing but it's still alive! It's my little 'prove 'em all wrong' plant and I love it's brave spindly little being.

svw    10
svw
This is the indigenous Jasmine. A REAL beauty.

The jasmine I have is also the indigenous Jasmine - it is so easy to grow - roots itself and spreads like wildfire - love it!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

My fig tree is getting leaves so no doubt we'll be having lovely figs, dried and in jams, come Christmas! It was a branch I planted 15 years ago and it gets so much fruit that I am able to pass it on to others but, unfortunately, it only travels well when dried or made into jam.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Ooh, LOVE figs. It's just the best thing when you can pick and preserve fruit from your garden! My attempt to plant one here was not successful but I must try again and mollycoddle the thing. I have just planted a plum tree and a peach tree and they seem fairly happy so holding thumbs.

The village is FULL of pear trees and quince hedges, lining the roads and fields - which is fabulous and in a little while everyone goes nuts picking and preserving. Then we can't face another quince or pear for a very long time.

The pear trees this year are magnificent - insanely beautiful blossoms wherever you look - stunning! I must take a photo and post it because they really are incredible at the moment.

JANDS    10
JANDS

I WANT a fig tree! I WANT a fig tree......wait....did I say that twice? Nay, I screamed it twice and jumped up and down. Had never made fig-jam till I got given some figs recently and dayum, it came out beautiful. Plus it brings the birds to share the bounty. And the neighbours won't be able to see me hurling abuse at their snookum-pookum-yapping pooches and the vrot fig I throw at it.......I WANT a fig tree! Two actually.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
A bit of assistance from fellow gardeners - I am needing some ideas on FAST GROWING screening plants - suitable for highveld conditions. Plants that reach a height of 6 to 10 m - can be anything as long as it is fast growing! I have looked at bamboo - the variety that is available in SA grows about 1.5m per year - I would prefer the one that grows 50cm per day but we cannot import it from China. I have also looked at the upright 'bottle brush' - pepper tree and ficus but they still seem a bit slow growing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Sue

What about some of those metal towers Vodacom and MTN put up in the suburbs. Every time

the trees burn on Table Mountain I think of replacing them with metal trees that cant burn or

get chopped down for firewood.

svw    10
svw
What about some of those metal towers Vodacom and MTN put up in the suburbs. Every time

the trees burn on Table Mountain I think of replacing them with metal trees that cant burn or

get chopped down for firewood.

:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: ... The type of answer I would expect from thee m'lord...

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: ... The type of answer I would expect from thee m'lord...

Knew you would like it. Always the voice of reason. Comes from years of toil in the Transkei where nary a tree

can be found. But lots of shrubs. Mostly Dagga.

Now then, my dear Sharks supporter, have you considered Bougainvillea ? They grow like crazy in all directions.

Tough, thorns from hell, a real menace to keep in check. Different coloured flowers too.

I would have expected someone to suggest it but perhaps the spelling was too much of a challenge.

svw    10
svw
Knew you would like it. Always the voice of reason. Comes from years of toil in the Transkei where nary a tree

can be found. But lots of shrubs. Mostly Dagga.

Now then, my dear Sharks supporter, have you considered Bougainvillea ? They grow like crazy in all directions.

Tough, thorns from hell, a real menace to keep in check. Different coloured flowers too.

I would have expected someone to suggest it but perhaps the spelling was too much of a challenge.

I do have a few of those - very nasty indeed - their thorns are always a reminder of the team which I support. Now Sir if you were to find me a black one I would be your loyal subject for all eternity...:cool: