Sign in to follow this  
moodTime

Refund for stolen/lost parcel

moodTime

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, recently a parcel I posted got lost/stolen in transit (at WITPOST HUB of course!!). Even though it was not insured I have decided I am going to take the loss and refund the buyer in full less the postage cost (cost of the item).

2 questions,

1. Should I also refund the postage cost?

2. Am I allowed to file a SNC since I have refunded the buyer and taken a loss?

Regards,

David

mrmouse

it would be nice and Yes

svw
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, recently a parcel I posted got lost/stolen in transit (at WITPOST HUB of course!!). Even though it was not insured I have decided I am going to take the loss and refund the buyer in full less the postage cost (cost of the item).

2 questions,

1. Should I also refund the postage cost?

2. Am I allowed to file a SNC since I have refunded the buyer and taken a loss?

Regards,

David

If it were me I would also refund the postage costs even though it is not your responsibility to do so but sometimes it pays to take the knock. With regards to shipping I only offer insured shipping and don't charge extra for this - insured parcels receive priority over anything else as they have to be signed for at each stage of their journey etc.

You can file a SNC just select the option 'Buyer and Seller agree not to proceed with Sale' - this way it won't reflect negatively on the buyer - I would also send the buyer a covering e-mail explaining that in order to recover your commission from bob the sale needs to be cancelled.

In most instances handled in this manner even though the buyer has had to endure the disappointment of buying online and not receiving their parcel due to unfortunate circumstances - they should still feel confident enough to be a returning customer in the near future!