Sign in to follow this  
sugarbean

the deal with going away and unfair ratings

sugarbean

I was away on Holiday for about a week and there was no internet connection or phone reception where i was. So hence I never checked my emails or bid or buy.

The day I returned home and back to the office I received a phone call from a buyer asking where her stuff was. Quiet rude and short. I told her that I’d send the goods later that day. As I was away.

When I checked my emails to see the order, I had three negative ratings from this woman!!! Which she posted the day before!!! If she had phoned my offices before she did the ratings, they would have told her that I was away. Hence that’s why there is a contact number!! She has ruined my 100% positive ratings. If she actually knew how BOB worked, she’d see that I was not a crook!!!

I'd just like to know if there are any rules regarding Sellers going away and that are unable to respond to new purchases, I’m going away again next week.

Advice would be much appreciated

JANDS

Hello Sugarbean. I am inexperienced myself, but will add what I think. I had a look at your site and see that all your sales are "Buy now". That is fine but means that you have to stay on top of what is happening 24/7 to give good service. Setting auctions to close after you return from your trips might be an idea. The worst that can happen is you answer questions late. Set the price on your auctions a touch lower than your buy-now price and see what happens.

Personally as a buyer, I get miffed if I have not heard from a seller after 2 business days expecially since I pay within half an hour of auction close. May I suggest contacting the 3 neg buyer and dousing the fires with a well-written e-mail? Do not phone them as you might catch them at a bad time and merely worsen the situation. An e-mail gives them time to absorb perhaps in calmness. It will at least show your concern and at best might result in a turn of the ratings.

Have a grand day

Jan

miraclebabycaw

To be perfectly honest here I do have to say that I think you are at fault with this one. I would have expected to list on the items you are selling (especially if it is a buy now that can close at any time) that you expect to be away between such and such a time and that you will only be able to post items once you are back etc. That way people know upfront. I would also be ticked off if I bought something, don't hear a word, have paid for the item and get nothing back. That being said though I agree she could have called you, BUT the onus is not on the buyer really. It is the wrong way to do it. That being said I have done it myself with a seller. I had mailed him 3 times,but I did try calling him a number of times as well. Three times I got the subscriber you have dialed is not available and the 4th time it just rang. I did change the ratings because he did contact me and explained he had had internet trouble. His phone, no idea, but I did get the items and everything was fine. This all being said though, sometimes you can't please everybody. I had a similar situation a few years back where did a Wed auction, listed in big letters that I was away, but would post all items the following Monday provided payment was made. Everyone was fine except one buyer who just didn't bother to pay. I sent her a mail when I got back, nothing. Finally did a SNC, gave her a negative. She then paid, so I retracted SNC, changed her rating to positive. Little while later she gave me a negative saying I went on holiday without telling anyone, never gave her chance to pay, then file an SNC on her, and I overcharged for postage. I sent her a snotty mail back stating that she should read because I had clearly stated I was away and would post on the monday. She changed it to a neutral in the end so I left it.

Anyway loooooong story, maybe you should just mail the woman apologising and saying that you have posted her item, and that you would appreciate it if she updates the rating when she receives the item? Might help.

Cali Craft and Gems

I have had to "escape from the madness" every so often over the past few years so to protect myself and to keep the buyer informed, I place a message under the shipping section stating that I won't be available for x-amount of days and that the next shipping date after my return would be xxx.

This has alleviated a lot of stress on both sides of the fence, although you will still get the buyer who does not read the information.

It is preferred by BoB that you do not have any listings open during the time that you are not available, but this is not always possible - especially when you have a high number of listings as we do (over 2000).

But as long as you forewarn your clients of your unavailability, you should have fewer complainants than if you just "disappeared" silently.

Seeds for Africa

It also helps to inform bidorbuy that you will be away so that they can make a note on your account.

If you are out of communiactions range it would be better to close all your listings as other posters have suggested.

If it was me and I bought something I would also be pretty unhappy if I hadnt heard anything in over a week. Its also not the buyers responsibility to phone your office to find out where you are. They have bought something and paid for it and understandably want what they have bought........ or to at least be informed what is happenning.

InfiIT

I think a nifty feature will be a "STATUS MESSAGE" type of feature, somethimg like FB but like a seller announcement type of thing, so when you go into a sellers item, the status of the seller is reflected

Infiit (58*)

98% Rating

Status: Out of the planet collecting moonrocks to sell on bidorbuy

Something like the above

Cali Craft and Gems

Now that is a brilliant idea!

(for example, I am not available for most of tomorrow due to tourism meetings and other business responsibilities, but don't exactly want to insert that into each and every listing of mine as it is only applicable for less than 24 hours!)

captain emo

I agree that a status thing would be great.

As for whether you are in the wrong, lets flip this one around. The buyer agrees to buy now or wins an auction but doesnt pay for a week as they are away. In all likelihood you would have filed a SNC against them. If buyers are expected to pay within 2-3 days (some sellers even insi on payment within 24 hours), I think its only fair for sellers to have to post goods and supply the tracking number if necessary (hacks me off when goods are sent and I have to email to get the tracking number or to find out if the things have actually been sent) within the same time frame. That being said I do think the buyer could have been a little more receptive to the fact that there was a valid reason why there was a delay in responding to the sale and she could have changed the ratings.

I think to be on the safe side (until bid or buy figures out some kind of status thing) sellers should list in their ads if they are going to be away and buyers should immediately contact the seller if there is going to be some delay in the payment (within reason of course). The parties can then decide between themselves whether to go ahead with the sale transaction before they dish out negative ratings like candy at halloween.