Sign in to follow this  
sajuli

Stamp Categories

sajuli

Hi there

Does anyone know if BoB is planning to improve the categories in the stamp section?

Thanks

blacktail12

Stamp Categories

Tried to get get comment from users but nothing happened . It would a good thing to expand the categories. Maybe the vol of sales and income for BOB dont warrant the effort in the stamp category

sajuli

I posted a proposal to BoB for categories so the only thing they had to do is change a little bit of the source code. If they don't improve the category this section will get more flodded with all kind of things. It isnt good when you have to go through 30 pages of international stamps since most sellers dont give a proper detailled description.

blacktail12

Hi

I agree hope someone from BOB reads this I am sure they would do better as ell as people cant find material get frustrated and don't buy so everyone is a loser

sajuli

Well as said above I have contacted BoB (multiple times) but no reply. I even offered to draw up a category tree because I would benfit from a improved stamp organisation. But seems they too busy with other things.

admin

Who are you directing your correspondence to at BoB?

admin

sajuli

Hi admin,

so far noone specific. I contact BoB via Helloatbidorbydotcom and I used the user feedback form on the website.

blacktail12

hI

Thanks for the message. We probably need some clarity about how one goes about suggesting areas where user perceive their can be an improvement to find items easily. Stamps becomes such a subject. Maybe BoB has a means of finding out from users of the category what their feelings are. I would definitely like to see a category Thematics which can be broken down further. FDC's could be split to RSA,SWA,Homelands,Africa, Other. These are quick ideas and the whole aspect needs some more thought.

Thanks for noticing us

sajuli

I believe the system ebay has for its stamps is very logical and meaningfull. BoB could implement a similar category structure, maybe just not as detailled as Ebay for this is not necessary yet. What is very important is that FDC, Thematics and the Regional stamps get seperated for it is very inconvenient for buyers to browse through categories of thematics if they look for an RSA stamp or vice versa. And the search is also not helpfull since most stamp auctioneers on BoB do not give a detailled product description.

fanie3

Stamps - Categories

We are in South Africa. The catagories of a South African website should reflect this. Also the quantities of homelands and South West Africa stamps/fdc's would justify seperate catagories. The other countries can also be devided in continents, to make it easier to search. I list many thematic stamps and feel that there should be a seperate catagory for that also. Ebay's catagories shows their website originated from the USA. The USA stamps has detailed catagories, where South Africa just falls under Africa. BoB should just reverse this to suit local users.

:roll:

sajuli

That is correct Fanie. The stamps sold on BoB are mostly SA stamps or SA FDC's and thematic stamp. I believe that a detailled categorization for Southern Africa would be very suitable, and different categories for thematics eg. Birds, Zebras etc. Other areas should be basically divided in an appropriate manner, maybe something like 1. Continent 2. Country and in some cases 3. A philatelistic area.

blacktail12

Hi

I hope admin has a look at this discussion

John

sajuli

Hi John,

as said above I contacted BoB multiple times but received no resonse whatsoever.

spider_man

Stamp experts pls help.

Hi guys.

How do I go about catalogging a stamp collection for a friend of mine?

He has a Northern Rhodesian collection dating back to about 1934, and we have no clue how to go about having it valuated to eventually get it sold.

Any ideas who I can contact?

:-)

Thanx

blacktail12

Hi

If its northern rhodesia try and get a South AFrican Colour Catalogue in a library . If in Jhb Sandton Library will have one . In Pretoria the Centurion Library. Or go to the Philatelic Federation website for more info search on Philatelic Federation. Then good luck on bidorbuy

Cheers

spider_man

Thanx , will do.

Ciaou

sajuli

What do you guys think of a following system:

(As an outline)

1. Stamp Accessories (Albums etc)

2. South African Stamps

2.1 South African FDCs

2.x All South African Philatelic Areas

3.1 International Stamps

3.1.1 Germany

3.1.2 United Kingdom

3.1.x Other major areas and one category for "others"

4. Thematics

louwrence

Stamp Catagories

I support the outline proposed by sajuli. This provides an open structure that is expandable in future as our hobby expands on BoB.

I propose the following structure for South Africa:

2.1 South African Colonies (pre 1910)

2.1.1 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks

2.1.2 Stamps

2.1.3 Postal History/Stationary

2.2 Union of South Africa (1910 - 1961)

2.2.1 FDC/Maxiphilia/Commemoratives

2.2.2 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks/sheetlets/Booklets

2.2.3 Stamps

2.2.4 Postal History/Stationary

2.3 Republic of South Africa (1961-today)

2.3.1 FDC/Maxiphilia/Commemoratives

2.3.2 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks/Sheetlets/Booklets

2.3.3 Stamps

2.3.4 Postal History/Stationary

2.4 South African Homelands

2.4.1 Transkei

2.4.1.1 FDC/Maxiphilia/Commemoratives

2.4.1.2 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks/Sheetlets

2.4.1.3 Stamps

2.4.1.4 Postal History/Stationary

2.4.2 Bophutswana

2.4.2.1 FDC/Maxiphilia/Commemoratives

2.4.2.2 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks/Sheetlets

2.4.2.3 Stamps

2.4.2.4 Postal History/Stationary

2.4.3 Venda

2.4.3.1 FDC/Maxiphilia/Commemoratives

2.4.3.2 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks/Sheetlets

2.4.3.3 Stamps

2.4.3.4 Postal History/Stationary

2.4.4 Ciskei

2.4.4.1 FDC/Maxiphilia/Commemoratives

2.4.4.2 Cylinder Blocks/Sheets/Blocks/Sheetlets

2.4.4.3 Stamps

2.4.4.4 Postal History/Stationary

2.5 South Africa Other

Regards

Louwrence

sajuli

This looks great. I will fax and email an outline proposal to BoB and wait for their response.

philactica

SACC categories

Hi All,

Perhaps A diagram of the categories you think is fitting on Bob could be drawn up.

This way you can debate it and put in guidelines to BoB as you would like it to be. Break it down as in the SACC !

lourence beat me to it ! But that's about it.

Let Thematics also evolve.

Anyone any idea if there is a new SACC to be available this year and when ?

Erich.

sajuli

due too unforseen circumstances the 2007 South African Stamp Colour Catalogue has not yet been published however we will keep you informed asap as we have further information but do not expect to be in print before sept/oct 2007

philactica
due too unforseen circumstances the 2007 South African Stamp Colour Catalogue has not yet been published however we will keep you informed asap as we have further information but do not expect to be in print before sept/oct 2007

@ sajuli

Thanks for the reply.

The way I read your reply it sounds as if YOU publish the SACC !

Nonethelesss is there a certainty that a catalogue will appear. There must be about 2000 collectors here in NZ if 10% of the AfriKiwis collect stamps.

Getting back to the categories.

Remember that this should be a guide for BoB and they or even the users would not like it to be cluttered up.

Main categories can be put in place and let the demand develop itself.

It should be easy for Bob to add sub categories.

Erich

sajuli

The reply I gave to you was a quote by the publisher

philactica

SACC

The reply I gave to you was a quote by the publisher

Hi sajuli,

I realized that, but what do you think, will the SACC be published ?

When was the last issue published ?

Erich

philactica

Categories

The reason I asked is, once the Categories are simplified on BoB I can think of listing a numbers & varieties.

I still have great concerns about mail in and out of SA as reflected in other threads.

Registered Mail from NZ is R50 and so must be worthwhile or sent via $2 Standard Airmail !!

I could also only deal with verified or trusted traders because of this mailing problem. Sending money is also problematic.

Ah well, will have to play it by ear !

Erich