Sign in to follow this  
DZGKnersus

Advice for a newbie please / Abusive seller or am I paranoid?

DZGKnersus

Hi guys. I just joined bob so I might be on a road to a hiding here: please bear with the length of my thesis. I really wanted this item on auction and was bidding R7000 - not really small change. This is what happened:

HDMI had a Nikon lens on auction. I was ensuring I had the winning bid the whole day. I got concerned when the seller answered none of the bidders questions. I then cancelled another bid on another auction fron the same seller. I requested that in the Q&A section as prescribed. Within minutes HDMI cancelled my bid. I raised this issue in the current auction, and pointed out that another bidder was confused because he thought he already bought this item. But I never requested the seller to cancel my bid in THIS auction. In fact I kept bidding in the last minutes.

Then something strange happened. My bid just disappeared. My bid was for just over R7000. Suddenly the winning bid showed as a bid for just over R5000. I refreshed continiously and it happened about 3 times. Bob show I was the winning bidder for R7000 and a bit. Then the auction closed and the winning bidder was just over R5000 . How is this possible? THEN, at last, I received a response on my question from the seller. The auction closed at 23:45 and was advertised with extended time. I am sure I made at least 2 bids in the 3 minutes before close, but the auction did not extend. The seller responded that he was sorry for the late reply to my questions, and he did cancel my bid! Which I never requested. His message was time stamped 23:43. I am confident that I bid again after that.

Why will the seller not sell to me for R7000 but rather to someone else for R5000? Especially after the same item was alledgedly sold for just R4000 on 30 August? Did he not want to let it go for R7000 and who is the bidder on R5000? I guess there is a good chance the lens will be listed again.

I am of the opinion that I should have won the auction at R7000 plus, but the seller maliciously removed my bids to prevent me from obaining the item at that price.

Does this make sense or am I paranoid (habit of my profession)?

JANDS

I would be concerned as well and I am not a professor. :weird:

DZGKnersus

So am I Jands, and I'm no professor either. I might be a lawyer though :angel:

JANDS
So am I Jands, and I'm no professor either. I might be a lawyer though :angel:

Jirre...you okes are scary specimens man....bet you never heard any lawyer jokes eh? :nuts:

miraclebabycaw

I would ask Bidorbuy to look into the transactions. I think they should have records of what was bid when and should be able to provide you details?

Pickle Bearies

I think I might be replying a little late,... but you state in your "thesis" that you are new to BOB. It could just be that the seller is afraid of selling an item to a new buyer who has no previous record.

As a seller I always get suspicious when a new seller bids high amounts on my auctions as 99% of the time I never receive the payment or hear from the buyer.

It is some times a difficult decision to make... let the auction run and see what happens or to be happy with a lower but "safer " amount and delete the "uncertain" high bid.

It's just a thought that perhaps this was what the seller was afraid of.

My advice to new buyers is always to buy a few cheap items, get the hang of the system and get some good trustworthy rating to your name, it helps a lot!