Sign in to follow this  
JohnBenn

Time to boycott Woolworths.

Jacques Kuun

Hello all

I am not saying that we have to boycott Woolworths.

However, I feel that Woolworths is overrated. There are countless of small / independent delicatessens, butchers, greengrocers, etc whose quality equals or even surpasses that of Woolworths.

Chocolates, meat, cheese, pastries, pre-cooked dinners, fish, ice cream, etc.

Even the “premium” lines of Checkers to do not have to stand back for Woolworths. I am fortunate to have two WW stores and two very modern Checkers stores very close to me (I have about 15 PickandPays, Woolworths, Spars and Checkers in a 12km radius from me, so please do not think that I am ignorant).

Coming back to basic foodstuff:

Hake at WW at R119-00 a kilo? I buy quality hake from a renowned (in the area) wholesaler at 5Kg at a time at R49-99 a Kg.

Cold meats? R89-99 a Kg at WW. R39-99 at Spar (all Renown or Escourt in any case whether WW or Spar).

Have you ever checked out Checkers’ range of cheeses? The adverts about 400 different (Branded) cheeses are true! Check out their wine selection! Anybody who believes that the quality of these items is inferior to that of WW is a snob.

As far as rather supporting local businesses is concerned I am not a “bleeding heart”, but as long as I get top quality at a reasonable price, I prefer to buy from the small and independent company.

So staying away from WW would not be a problem.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

JANDS

Well said Jacques. Its simple mathematics dipped in a touch of logic. How ridiculous have we become? We have been marketed to such an extent that the majority of the population buy things for other people. Buy a new car....chap doesn't head for the nearest open road to feel the surge of adrenaline and change both his gear levers. First thing he does is head over to his neighbour or buddy. I know this might sound strange, but pause a moment and think of it. We are assaulted by it. Told what is the latest, best, uggggh....I think you get my drift. I sense myself heading off on a smoking tangent again....

Have a great day friends.

lilythepink

Something I forgot to mention about our local woolies is that the clothes hanging on the rails are mostly so high up that I can't reach them! And the clothes are so creased that I sense an obvious lack of caring about their displays these days. A C Kerman's and Pep Stores' clothes ( both shops right next door to our woolies) have better care with their clothing and their quality has greatly improved in recent years - especially kiddies' clothing!

JANDS
Hake at WW at R119-00 a kilo? I buy quality hake from a renowned (in the area) wholesaler at 5Kg at a time at R49-99 a Kg.

Addendum: Yesterday I bought Chub Mackerel (beautiful fish for smoking) (No Wayne, not like zol my bru) at R15-00/kg at our local fish shop. Overpriced snoek is now R42-00/kg. I shite you not.

Edited by JANDS

Jongleur

Perhaps the white directors and management at Woolworse should resign immediately in solidarity

with company policy on employment equity. This will open the way for our brothers and sisters to fill

these vacancies and allow these presently advantaged white employees to set up shop elsewhere.

With a complement of 2 staff members. From the pool of their families. And watch the inevitable.

And prosper like never before.

voldermort

To my way of thinking the only thing fancy about Woolworths is their prices......obviously it is difficult to speak about supermarkets in other parts of the country but down here where I am Pick n Pay, Checkers & Spar are all three excellent supermarkets, right on the top of their form & their quality can & does surpass that of Woolworths without the grossly inflated price tag.

That said though, and although I agree that not shopping at Woolworths if you can possibly avoid it will give them a serious wake up call when they see their profits taking a dive, I do not agree with going into a Woolworths store, filling a trolley & then leaving it at a counter because simply put, who shall repack all those items? Certainly not the top brass of Woolworths and those are the people this whole "boycott" message is directed towards.

The only way to get the message across & to make sure that it is heard loud & clear is to hit them where it hurts most, and in this case it is in their pockets - anything else is just petty & childish.

Guest Guest

I hear what everone is saying but let me tell you employment is one thing, the destruction of South African history (pre-1994) is to me a far bigger issue.

I (as most of you know) now live in Australia. I have visited South Africa in 2006, 2007 and 2011 and seen the marked decline of roads and utilities in that period.

Worst of all are the affirmative action placements in museums around the country.- the new African curators care not for pre-1994 history

In Griquatown the contract for a very competent curator was cancelled last year and (I am not joking) the coloured cleaner of that museum given the job - the Mary Moffat Museum is now managed by a woman who knows nothing about handling, storing or recording collectables - let alone running a museum.

If you live in Pretoria go to Paul Kruger's house - it's just sad. When I went there in 2007 there was an African at the entrance taking money for you to go in but there was NO security and many of the household items I saw in 2006 (when there was white staff) had disappeared. They are behind ropes that you can simply walk over in the many rooms making up Kruger's house.

The Kuruman Mission (Robert Moffat) is now run by an African curator. When I went there last year several valuable items were missing (items I had seen in 2007) and the curator was to busy watching a soccer game in his house on the property to deal with us. So we walked around without anyone keeping an eye on us.

And the Mafeking Museum? It has been transformed from covering the siege to glorifying the early African leaders. The siege items are now in a backroom where the electricity has not worked for months and the African curator (seriously) gives you a torch to shine on the artifacts in the room - because it would otherwise be too dark to see anything.

Oh.. try and go visit Spioenkop (Natal) .. good luck! You need a four wheel drive vehicle to get there now. In 2006 when I went there at least 20 other cars were parked on the top as visitors looked around the historic site. Last year I was the only visitor and this historic area is now a grazing area for cattle.

I could go on and on.. but I have video evidence of all this.

For those in Bloemfontein here is my

.... I could carry on

My dummy spit

Scott B

Edited by ndoa18

svw

I agree 'V' leaving shopping trolleys filled with groceries etc. is resorting to childish and petty behavior

But it does seems like Woolworths is starting to miss the plot - apparently they are looking at retrenching about 600 staff countrywide who will not sign new amendments to their employment contracts for extended working hours - Woolies is wanting to trade 365 days a year - Christmas day in my book has always been the one day we have always refused to open for trade.

Plus in July down south in their Australian enterprise there has also been a call for a boycott against Woolworths - the reason is reports of unfair market manipulation - they have been accused of using bullish tactics against farmers and producers to lower their prices...

wayjen
I hear what everone is saying but let me tell you employment is one thing, the destruction of South African history (pre-1994) is to me a far bigger issue.

I (as most of you know) now live in Australia. I have visited South Africa in 2006, 2007 and 2011 and seen the marked decline of roads and utilities in that period.

Worst of all are the affirmative action placements in museums around the country.- the new African curators care not for pre-1994 history

In Griquatown the contract for a very competent curator was cancelled last year and (I am not joking) the coloured cleaner of that museum given the job - the Mary Moffat Museum is now managed by a woman who knows nothing about handling, storing or recording collectables - let alone running a museum.

If you live in Pretoria go to Paul Kruger's house - it's just sad. When I went there in 2007 there was an African at the entrance taking money for you to go in but there was NO security and many of the household items I saw in 2006 (when there was white staff) had disappeared. They are behind ropes that you can simply walk over in the many rooms making up Kruger's house.

The Kuruman Mission (Robert Moffat) is now run by an African curator. When I went there last year several valuable items were missing (items I had seen in 2007) and the curator was to busy watching a soccer game in his house on the property to deal with us. So we walked around without anyone keeping an eye on us.

And the Mafeking Museum? It has been transformed from covering the siege to glorifying the early African leaders. The siege items are now in a backroom where the electricity has not worked for months and the African curator (seriously) gives you a torch to shine on the artifacts in the room - because it would otherwise be too dark to see anything.

Oh.. try and go visit Spioenkop (Natal) .. good luck! You need a four wheel drive vehicle to get there now. In 2006 when I went there at least 20 other cars were parked on the top as visitors looked around the historic site. Last year I was the only visitor and this historic area is now a grazing area for cattle.

I could go on and on.. but I have video evidence of all this.

For those in Bloemfontein here is my

.... I could carry on

My dummy spit

Scott B

So true Scott!

There does seem to be a move to wipe out white history of this country be it name changes or anything that the white man has had a hand in. The health departments, the education departments etc etc, have all but collapsed and it's only a matter of time before they do. They even want the land that the white man lives on.

Corruption/crime is the order of the day!

jphotography

One question, will all this racial debate with Woolies will they still be allowed to sell white bread? :cheesy::cheesy:

wayjen
One question, will all this racial debate with Woolies will they still be allowed to sell white bread? :cheesy::cheesy:

Or milk?

lilythepink

Probably only chocolate milk, Wayne!

JohnBenn
Quite late yesterday evening I received the following SMS from woolies:

"Dear Woolies customer, The rumours you're hearing about Woolworths aren't true.

Please get the facts at Woolworths.co.za | Food, Home, Clothing & General Merchandise available online!. SMS STOP to opt out."

I guess they're trying to put out fires?

I received the same but in Afrikaans:weird:,normally they force you to speak in English.

Jongleur
I received the same but in Afrikaans:weird:,normally they force you to speak in English.

Vloek hulle terug in Zoeloe, Sotho of enige van die 11 offisiele tale.

voldermort

New sponsor for this weekend's game. . . . lol

58f5a73f237e0_alblack.JPG.26c8aacec80c7613a6cbb526b12ce8cf.JPG

JohnBenn

M$retta M% h### Woolworths.Please keep in mind I don't know which of the three words to bleep....:whistling:

voldermort
M$retta M% h### Woolworths.Please keep in mind I don't know which of the three words to bleep....:whistling:

I have to tell you, I think you bleeped out everything that would make sense of this sentence :confused:

JohnBenn
I have to tell you, I think you bleeped out everything that would make sense of this sentence :confused:

HAha....:ninja:

JANDS

Same shite, different wording.

Jacques Kuun

Let the WHITE bosses resign. Let them be replaced by their BLACK counterparts.

wayjen

Dear Ferial. This piece is really well written and I enjoyed it. You however loose the plot completely with your last note about all of us being part of the "human race". Never do forget that the far majority of white people voted for a free South Africa for ALL of its citizens already in 1990. If we are then all part of the "human race" as per your last note...how come you try justify something that is based on skin colour and not the human race? Just as Apaprtheid was justified during those awfull years, very similarly affirmative action is justified now. The time of using apartheid as a convenient excuse to overlook the the current government's incompetencies and discrimination policies is slowly ticking by...ALL South Africans know we are all free. It is just a matter of getting a government now to truly govern a free nation effectively.

The above is a quote from the last link and it says what I was feeling now.

People seem to forget that not all white folk were born with silver spoons in their mouths. They seem to forget that we too had to work at school to attain a pass rate and finally a matric to get a job. We were not given jobs but we had to fight for them because a person with a matric stood a better chance against someone with a standard 8 certificate. We were not pushed through school. We did not have our standards dropped so we could get a better school report or a job.

This is not a rainbow nation. People tend to forget that we didn't just host a soccer world cup, we also hosted a bunch of other world cup events and it was not the soccer world cup that united the nation as the government want the world to believe. If you want to unite the nation the do right by its citizens and let the best man/woman win and don't give a certain demographics a free pass because of the past of the country.