Sign in to follow this  
JohnBenn

Time to boycott Woolworths.

svw
Well said!

Unbelievable,there they go again.It reminds me of those apartheid "Whites only" beach signs.

But guess what?Their stock is tumbling.

Also been watching their stock - I think anyone with Woolworths Holdings Shares should get out whilst the going is good - unless I have got my facts wrong their Australian operation has also been on a bit of a downward slide...

JANDS

Voldermort.....allow me to applaud your last writings. Like a few others, I can only put one like to yours. You have it.

We live in a racist country and colouring it in in any other way is utter crap. "Politically correct"....the latest, dont insult the animal you chose and feed by calling it a pet. This denotes ownership. You must call it a "furry kid". A Neologism which bodes only evil in my opinion.

Man...right now I want that middle digit smiley guys.....:wtf:

Not1CentMore
Man...right now I want that middle digit smiley guys.....:wtf:

Please check your PM.

Ruthie

MsPlod

The tragedy is that had Woolworths (and MANY if not most other large companies) actually really applied themselves almost two decades ago, this circumstance would never be happening now. Almost all large companies who have repeatedly "missed the BEE boat" are being forced to take these sorts of actions now and are refusing to even consider anyone with melanin deficiency.

BEE in essence is not a problem in itself, but the misapplication of it is HUGELY problematic.

Have a look at this... where Mamphele Ramphele states "...that policies, such as black economic empowerment (BEE), were "unhelpful" when implemented incorrectly". She has stated for many years that it is a huge problem.

Had these companies actually really put their minds (and money) to the wheel 18 years and more back, training, "skilling", raising a new generation of future employees (with a more demographically balanced basis), then this idiotic circumstance would not be taking up news headlines. Instead, folks without adequate training were placed straight into "Peter Principle" positions, just to fulfil quotas, without considering the damage to the individuals, the companies and the country in the longer term. These same Peter Principle individuals would then get head-hunted, on the basis of their position (not their skills) by other companies, and then sit in another Peter Principle position, with other staff having to take up their work-load, while the company sat back with pride at their representative - token - dark-skinned employees. UGH!

Sickening - and incredibly debilitating also for the folks who were not empowered to hold those positions but held them anyway simply because of skin colour. It is even MORE upsetting for those whose education, training and skills are sound but because of their skin colour (brown / black) they are treated as if they are quota-fillers and not taken seriously (my friends in the formal sector take BIG strain with this).

BEE has a LONG way to go before it is appropriately applied.

Woolworths (and the other companies who have been playing with quotas without actually taking up their social responsibility) deserve/s a big shock - they have ridden a long, high wave and must take what is coming their way. They have known for long enough what is needed, but have clearly continued to side-step until now. Boycott away!

kyle2

Well said Lee, missed your analytical and informative posts of late. Your Fellow Mellanin Deficient being salutes you!

Stupid Woolworths........:evil:

svw
Please check your PM.

Ruthie

Aah - JANDS show us the smiley...

JohnBenn
Aah - JANDS show us the smiley...

I think this is how we both feel dirty-language-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think I'm going to bury myself in work for a couple of days,and stay far away from Woolworths(forever).

lilythepink
I think Woolworths has underestimated the power of the social networks - I know I won't be shopping at Woolies anymore !!!!!!

Well our local Woollies doesn't have a food market. Haven't seen a white face in ages and the clothes are for grannies even older than I am! I hadn't shopped there for a while but on Tuesday I popped in to look around - nothing has changed! The quality of their items seems to have deteriorated too as a couple of the ladies' tops which I looked at had threads dangling already!

Am happy to stick with my erstwhile decision that I don't need to shop at Woollies!

MsPlod

And since we are on the topic of Woollies - their environmental concern is low or lacking entirely - the amount of packaging! Eish! I try never to shop there as a matter of principle (although some of the clothes are lekker - we live near a BIG, well-stocked one). But food? Not if I can help it... Far rather support my local grocer - who just so happens to BE a BEE company by nature LOL!

JANDS
And since we are on the topic of Woollies - their environmental concern is low or lacking entirely - the amount of packaging! Eish! I try never to shop there as a matter of principle (although some of the clothes are lekker - we live near a BIG, well-stocked one). But food? Not if I can help it... Far rather support my local grocer - who just so happens to BE a BEE company by nature LOL!

Smaak your thinking sister

Asha Craft

I'm glad most of you "get" this, because it seems many people on FB "in support of WW" are thinking that we are fighting the wrong fight, that we should be fighting the government. Ya sure that will come, in time. But my problem here, right now, is with Woolworths. I'm all for transformation, but you cannot exclude a certain race from applying for a job. We are not supposed to repeat history! You do not correct the wrongs of the past by reversing the situation.

Guest MacMuffin

I have not read the whole thread but heard on the news that Woolies is against whites - I don't think this is the case, just bought those things a few minutes ago:

woolies-purchases.jpg.914b4da94776c6fb52b51f1848a00275.jpg

voldermort
I'm glad most of you "get" this, because it seems many people on FB "in support of WW" are thinking that we are fighting the wrong fight, that we should be fighting the government. Ya sure that will come, in time. But my problem here, right now, is with Woolworths. I'm all for transformation, but you cannot exclude a certain race from applying for a job. We are not supposed to repeat history! You do not correct the wrongs of the past by reversing the situation.

Exactly...and I have posted this already today on NoWorths wall:

To all those who imagine that what Woolworths is doing is legal, please read the following by renowned constitutional law scholar Pierre de Vos (referring to the SAPS EE policy which is being challenged in court). Particularly the part that a refusal to appoint whites is open to challenge:

"Where a redress plan has the practical effect of placing an absolute barrier on the employment and promotion prospects of candidates from non-designated groups, it would be unlawful.

Often the problem with a specific Employment Equity policy is not the actual redress plan of the employer, but the way in which it is being implemented. (In debates about affirmative action, those who oppose Employment Equity measures often wrongly conflate the unassailable principle that there is an ethical and constitutional need to implement redress measures, on the one hand, with the unlawful and corrupt implementation of redress measures, on the other.) There would be nothing wrong with the SAPS setting employment equity targets and vigorously setting out to achieve those targets by favouring the appointment of suitably qualified “black” candidates. But where this leads to a refusal of the SAPS to appoint or promote any “white” candidates – even where no suitably qualified “black” candidate has applied for the position or the promotion – then the implementation of the redress plan would be open to challenge."

JANDS
I have not read the whole thread but heard on the news that Woolies is against whites - I don't think this is the case, just bought those things a few minutes ago:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3906[/ATTACH]

Now you cracked me up...thanks! :love:

Asha Craft

Nooit MacMuffin, I heard they were banning all white related products. Even the white roses are being airbrushed :ninja:

Guest MacMuffin
Nooit MacMuffin, I heard they were banning all white related products. Even the white roses are being airbrushed :ninja:

It's a good thing I stock piled white chocolate and I bought all the vanilla ice-cream. I also got myself some dark-chilli-chocolate (how is that for being true South African?).

I think this whole Woolies hiring dilemma is really badly handled. The guavamint enforces BEE quotas and if you want to participate in those gravy-train tenders you need to be BEE compliant. I feel sorry for those BEE professionals with good qualifications who must always be wondering if they where hired on merit or just to fill a quota.

It's also quite surprising that people get so upset about it - it's not like this was a BIG secret - or?

wayjen

How many people sitting in jobs today are really wondering if they were put there because of the colour of their skin or how many of those will gladly resign because they feel uncomfortable because they feel they were only appointed because of their skin colour?

Someone said that white people are trying their hardest to hold on to their jobs because they know once they are on civvie street, it is difficult to get another job whilst at the same time black people are sitting in their jobs and they know that no matter what happens, to fire them will be a nightmare.

I am sorry to say that this country has gone more backward then forward. Gone are the days of people wanting to work because it was a passion or a calling for them because now it is only about putting people in jobs because government demands it.

voldermort
How many people sitting in jobs today are really wondering if they were put there because of the colour of their skin or how many of those will gladly resign because they feel uncomfortable because they feel they were only appointed because of their skin colour?

Someone said that white people are trying their hardest to hold on to their jobs because they know once they are on civvie street, it is difficult to get another job whilst at the same time black people are sitting in their jobs and they know that no matter what happens, to fire them will be a nightmare.

I am sorry to say that this country has gone more backward then forward. Gone are the days of people wanting to work because it was a passion or a calling for them because now it is only about putting people in jobs because government demands it.

But then again - I'd rather be employed because of the colour of my skin than unemployed because of it.

voldermort
II think this whole Woolies hiring dilemma is really badly handled. The guavamint enforces BEE quotas and if you want to participate in those gravy-train tenders you need to be BEE compliant. I feel sorry for those BEE professionals with good qualifications who must always be wondering if they where hired on merit or just to fill a quota.

It's also quite surprising that people get so upset about it - it's not like this was a BIG secret - or?

Ah but as Adam Smith said, everyone listens to economics. When people start losing money because of their actions, they start changing their actions, because money is a language we can all understand. When the government start realising that businesses like Woolworths are pulling out of SA because they are no longer making such a profit/any profit at all in SA, they will be forced to rethink their stance on affirmative action. It's like apartheid, when people the world over only really started putting the pressure on SA once companies started disinvesting.

In terms of people who have to question whether or not they got their jobs because of the colour of their skin or because of their smarts - once again I'd rather be employed because of my race than unemployed because of it.

JANDS

I realise that not all people can sail through life doing their own thing and making money their way. I realise too though, that in employment there is no security. I appreciate each day and each moment.....I dont do it for the money primarily, that is a spin-off. I detest bowing bakhand and living from weekend to paycheck to annual holiday....I refuse to "One day when I retire". I have seen too many walking dead pushing through days with embittered mouths because life is difficult.....it is, for so many. It breaks my f***ng heart to see folks having to compromise the things they once believed in because they have children and responsibilities now they are "adults". You are right....it is not the employees at WW, it is not the thousands who life and circumstance have kicked firmly in the nuts who now serve you at a counter as if they are doing you a favour....Its a society we have created and I dont have any answers besides perceiving it as flawed to a degenerating level.

The way most of you speak has filled me with a hope I have not felt in a long time....."Consumer"...This word irks me beyond belief.....makes us sound like some bloody caterpillar whose skin is shed before we can morph, something to be milked continuously. The irony is that jointly we have the power to change attitudes and laws through this gift of universal communication merely by witholding our crumbs from the fatcat tables.

Am I wrong ?

wayjen
....and surely Woolworths cannot deny this??

In accordance with Woolworths’ Employment Equity approach, preference will be given to candidates from designated groups

and the link.....

Woolworths Careers : Advert View :: Ref: ITSBI0044 - Systems Analyst I, ITS, 6 month contract, Cape Town :: Western Cape :: Information Technology

Only Stephen Hawking can apply for that job or maybe Mac.

wayjen

What this country needs is an "Occupy Wall Street" type movement or a South Africa Spring Uprising but unfortunately there are too many divided people in this country to pull it off. With our history, should anyone go against the grain they will be marked as a racist and wanting this country to return to the days of apartheid.