Sign in to follow this  
JohnBenn

Time to boycott Woolworths.

JANDS    10
JANDS

How do I double-like your post John? The rage I feel has no escape beyond controlled words we post here occasionally. I have no words.....no more are neccessary.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

I don't know Jands:cool:

Woolworths SA on FB blocked me, after I called them "racist Bastards":colbert:

svw    10
svw

I think Woolworths has underestimated the power of the social networks - I know I won't be shopping at Woolies anymore !!!!!!

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

From what I've seen thousands won't either..me included.

JANDS    10
JANDS

Snivelling cowardly sell-outs. How far does one draw the line on business profits and ethics? Is it not ironic that the excluded group are the people who built Woolworths to what it is in South Africa? ............Listen Admin and management...you have one of those folks here who needs an emoticon/smiley that is hoisting a middle-digit and who will need your constant forgiveness as a bad-boy continually using it. Make the face all wrinkled with blue eyes and a Clint Eastwood mouth please. :idea:

voldermort    10
voldermort

There is a group on FB called NoWorths, just started today which you could go like & help to spread this around.......just saying

dstorm    10
dstorm

I mean honestly how do I support a store that won’t employ my children?”.

Woolworths’ quality if overrated in any case.

So I will not be too difficult never to set foot in one of those racist stores again.

Keep well and regards.

Jacques

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Who wants to work for Woolworths anyway? Not the point ofcourse- but who wants to shop there with their Chinese cheapies

that anyone can buy direct.:whistling:

svw    10
svw
Who wants to work for Woolworths anyway? Not the point ofcourse- but who wants to shop there with their Chinese cheapies

that anyone can buy direct.:whistling:

Tell me about it - bought myself a pair of their so called 'designer' jeans about a month ago they have already started to come apart - yet jeans I bought from Woolworths years back are still going strong...

wayjen    10
wayjen

SAA comes to mind.

JANDS    10
JANDS

Ag k*k man. If WW was represented by the modicum of a male, I would say adjust your n*ts and stand up for what you said. Sitting on the bloody wire will get you neutered mate. This is actually something we previously utterly-overadvantaged-rich-as-sin folks have been accepting for a while now. I drive through and by a few of the "previously disadvantaged" areas and they still look the same as years gone by. My question is this you bunch of Dikgat, lying, arrogant law and policy-makers "What about your brethren?" I am not going to ask how you face yourself in the mirror because ffs, you guys have perfected the art of conscience-suppression to a degree.

Always bloody words...as Eliza Doolittle (edited with licence by me) "Words words words, is that all you f***ers can do?"

I will understand if I get rapped on the knuckles for this post and it is edited....

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

This is what they had.

WW.jpg.3891543fd288b4140209c0af2196c516.jpg

And this is what they changed it to.

WW2.jpg.76216531cffc5f6c4a4df16f9665b3fe.jpg

Still the same thing,but flowered.

Edited by JohnBenn

kyle2    10
kyle2

Completely pathetic. I will not be shopping there again. If the majority of White people stop shopping there the chain store will have to adjust their pricing structure dramatically, as most ethnic groups may not be able to buy their overpriced goods.:colbert:

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

I think we should look at the reality here .

The EMPLoYMENT EQUITY ACT wants black representation at private sector to be at around 60% by 2017-the commision that reviewed this bill wants 87% black representation in the private sector at all levels of employment as soon as possible.The government has stated that the private sector is lagging behind and lacking the will to attain these levels of demographic representation and will not hesitate to implement fines to those companies that have made no signifcant strides forward in changing ther representation of the population of SA-

The fines range form 2% of turnover(not profit) for a first offence and up to 10 % of turnover for 2nd offence and this could effectively put many companies out of business.

Never mind the lack of skills in filling these quotas and the deomographics that are different in cape town wher the coloured population is 52 %.

This is the reality and the government has made this law,so to blame a company for trying to adhere to the employment equity act is harsh.Sure they have now changed the wording to be less sensitive but what is the use in sugarcoating the message?IT IS REALITY AND WILL NOT CHANGE.UNTIL WE HAVE A NEW RULING PARTY.

I will still be shopping at WOOLWORTHS while i can afford it .

neil

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

We have our own private companies too. In the tipper business, we have three African gents and one white. In our auto electrical business, we have 4 whites (including ourselves and our son), 2 Muslim, 1 Congolese, 4 Coloured and 1 African. I will not be forced to employ anyone who is not qualified or suitable for a specific job. The staff I have are there because they are competent and reliable, not because they "must" be there. And I will continue to base my business on this. My client is the most important person, and when he becomes unhappy due to bad communication and unreliable work from staff, he packs up and leaves. This I will prevent as far as possible. When I do interviews or training, I do not look at colour. I look at the person's ability to work, previous references, health, communication abilities and such. I base my appointments on this and nothing else. When I do finally appoint the successfull candidate, I know it will be to the benefit of my company and not to the benefit of the government.

JANDS    10
JANDS

A cleansing storm starts with a breeze from an unexpected quarter.

voldermort    10
voldermort

So even though Jade will be doing her LLM next year she is still wanting to apply for articles for 2014 - some very interesting reading from some of the law firms.......surely one should be hired on merit only? Some firms are bragging on their websites "we ensure that no less than 70% of our CA's are black" - in any other world, that's called being a racist and is not something to brag about. In any other world, they'd be saying "we ensure that no less than 70% of our CA's are graduates with distinction".

So if 70% are black, that leaves 30% to be shared among Whites, Coloureds, Indians - let's say 10% each which means that each & every black student at varsity is basically guaranteed a job whilst for the other 3 remaining it is really the luck of the draw, or hopefully you know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody else............after 5 years of varsity & a fortune spent on fees - this is what we now get?

I have only copied from 3 firms, although there are many others it does get the point across. Seems the only error WW made was to word their ad incorrectly.

1. Firm No. 1

Developing, training and advancing black attorneys

• it is our policy to ensure that at least 60% of the annual candidate attorney intake comprises black people;

• the firm offers bursaries on an annual basis to black law students studying at the major South African universities; and

• we annually invite law students from South African universities to take up winter holiday positions within the firm. This practical work programme lets students gain professional experience, giving them a competitive edge in the job market.

Firm No. 2

1. XXX has been rated by Empowerdex, an accredited rating agency, as an A rated entity and level 4 contributor to Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment. We are also a Value-Adding Supplier in terms of the BBBEE Codes of Good Practice. This means that our clients may use 125% of the value of our fees towards the preferential procurement element of their scorecard.

Firm No. 3

1. At least 70 percent of the candidate attorneys we recruit every year are from previously disadvantaged groups.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur

Maybe they want to have the distinction of being SA`s number one spaza shop.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn
We have our own private companies too. In the tipper business, we have three African gents and one white. In our auto electrical business, we have 4 whites (including ourselves and our son), 2 Muslim, 1 Congolese, 4 Coloured and 1 African. I will not be forced to employ anyone who is not qualified or suitable for a specific job. The staff I have are there because they are competent and reliable, not because they "must" be there. And I will continue to base my business on this. My client is the most important person, and when he becomes unhappy due to bad communication and unreliable work from staff, he packs up and leaves. This I will prevent as far as possible. When I do interviews or training, I do not look at colour. I look at the person's ability to work, previous references, health, communication abilities and such. I base my appointments on this and nothing else. When I do finally appoint the successfull candidate, I know it will be to the benefit of my company and not to the benefit of the government.

This is what every company needs to do,or we will never move past apartheid.Employing a person just because of the colour of their skin is just plain racist,you can sugarcoat it all you want.

There is this, I want this, and I want that, mentality in S.A.I won't be surprised when people start asking the government to wipe their ar#es for them in the near future.

The bottom line is people need to start their own businesses from scratch, or they will never appreciate what they have.These handouts will just hurt the country in the long run.And we need to make a stand somewhere,turning a blind eye will have future generations in the same boat.Everyone can, in anyway, not be employed by the existing jobs,more jobs have to be created.

I myself had to live on tuna salad four times a week and spaghetti bolognese for the rest of the week,in London, to pay for my studies.(Foods I will never eat again).I came back and started my business on R100 - R50 for the first ad and R50 for petrol.11years later, I appreciate everything I have.Nothing was given to me because of the colour of my skin.

Edited by JohnBenn

voldermort    10
voldermort

"Nothing was given to me because of the colour of my skin."

And this is what makes me mad as hell. White as a lilly I may be, but I was in no way advantaged because of this. In fact, my parents were dirt poor - with 8 children to support this stands to reason. The so-called "previously disadvantaged groups" is a joke. There are many white people who were never advantaged at all. What should be done with them?

Dimitri and I have worked our butts off to give Jade a decent education and enable her to get a degree so she could live a life of luxury (something we have never had) in the country of her birth, South Africa. Yet at the end of the day, even though she has passed with distinctions and is on the Dean's Merit List every year, she is to be told that regardless of her meritorious accolades (of which there are many) she is too white to find employment here? Nonetheless, at least she has a specialized degree and if needs be can find employment over the sea where the colour of your skin matters not at all. But what if she had not had the smarts to go to varsity? What if she had applied to Woolworths for a job (because not every white child has advantaged white parents to support them forever more)? She would have been rejected solely due to the colour of her skin? That is absolutely bloody shocking! Apartheid was defined as a racist regime because it prejudged people on nothing more than the colour of their skin. It denied people certain benefits and favoured others because of their colour. How is this NOT like apartheid?

Just because the factual scenario does not directly effect you does not mean that the principles at play and under threat should not be the cornerstones of EVERYONE'S life - hence the reason so many people are now boycotting Woolworths, and good for them!

Quite funny really, Woolworths has just posted for a legal advisor on PNet & no surprises I guess - they stipulate Blacks, Coloureds & Indians only:

http://www.pnet.co.za/index.php?s=advert_view&g=3910&x=1599799&i=1703&pop=1

http://www.pnet.co.za/index.php?s=advert_view&g=3910&x=1599799&i=1702&pop=1

Edited by voldermort

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Well said!

Unbelievable,there they go again.It reminds me of those apartheid "Whites only" beach signs.

But guess what?Their stock is tumbling.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

This side... I am near 'Barney barf-up' at the race card being slapped on the poker table each and every hand. It has been going on for years (Affirmative Action) and has become more than a thorn in my side. And Since Obama became President, it has gone from bad to unbelievable. If you disagree with Obama's policies, you are a racist. If you are against same sex marriage, you are a racist. If you are against persons crossing our boarders illegally, you are a racist. If you are.... (scratching head) Still waiting for someone to explain to me how being against same sex marriage or illegal immigrants, etc., is 'racist'.

A person's 'packaging' isn't one's character, nor does it define one's ability. To define one's character / ability by the color of their skin is like saying, for example, people with this color skin are the 'cream of the crop' when it comes to launderies and dry cleaning and 'no one can touch' people with this color skin when it comes to operating / managing mini-marts and motels. (How dumb is that?)

It matters less to me the pigmentation of one's skin or where they came from as it does who they are and where they are going. It's what is on the inside that counts; where the real 'who a person is' can be found. In the 'game of life', 'winners' come in all shapes, sizes and colors... so do losers.

My family is 'blended' and if any business this side ever blatantly adopted a one-color-is-better attitude, as it seems Woolworth did / does your side, our family would 'support' that business.... with our feet. We would be shopping elsewhere. ANY monies spent at that store would be (IMO) non-verbally agreeing with (supporting) their hiring practices and in our family....

that ain't gonna happen.

Ruthie