Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Input from jewellery sellers please

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Bracelets & Bangles - 18ct Gold Women's Bracelet Chain for sale in Balito / Tongaat (ID:74574844)

What is your opinion on this listing? Real gold as the seller is claiming or what?

I've based my decision on a few things: First impression (based on the image), my experience and knowledge in the field, and from reviewing this seller's recently sold jewellery items - excluding his / her reputation for revenge ratings!

In my opinion, NOT solid 18ct gold! Your views?

(some buyer is either going to get the bargain of the century, or is going to be burned badly with this purchase)

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Wow~Ouch~

Current gold price is R455 per gram. This is 17.2g which makes the cost price of the gold alone R7826.00. No labour or mark up yet?

My personal opinion is that it's not genuine gold, because this pic looks a lot like a supplier I purchase from. They have the habit of putting in the width with a marker (as is shown on the picture). The picture also seems a bit too yellow for 18ct gold. It looks more like a plated item. If it is genuine gold.....well, then someone's getting a hellofa bargain

I also like this remark from the seller : We do not accept returns.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Well it seems to have been sold for R1 375.00! Ouch.

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks to Catzcan for the new link - and it IS the same seller, with the same item!

Would love to hear their explanation on how last night the item was real gold, yet today it is not! Wonder what the buyer will think?

(BoB's input would be sincerely appreciated in this instance!)

DIY PRODUCTS    10
DIY PRODUCTS

Those who sell Jewelry please 'fill' in the gap <- (Pun intended) for me. What exactly am I buying if I buy a 'filled' item? What is it filled with? and then also, the seller states that theres a difference between plated and filled, refering to it as bonded. What is the difference? Technically and financially please.

Cali Craft and Gems

Personally if I am going to buy a gold item, I would only go for a guaranteed (tested) solid gold item and would not go near anything that is plated, filled or the latest trend of "fusion"!

If it ain't solid, it ain't gold! (and should NOT be listed anywhere near the "gold" categories)

Personalize    10
Personalize
Those who sell Jewelry please 'fill' in the gap <- (Pun intended) for me. What exactly am I buying if I buy a 'filled' item? What is it filled with? and then also, the seller states that theres a difference between plated and filled, refering to it as bonded. What is the difference? Technically and financially please.

Gold-plated jewelry has a smaller percentage of gold and goes through a different manufacturing process than gold-filled jewelry. To create gold-plated jewelry, a base metal goes through a series of processes and is eventually dipped into a bath of electroplating solution which contains gold. When an electric current is applied, an electrochemical reaction occurs and a thin layer of gold is deposited onto the metal. This layer is much thinner than the coating of gold that covers gold-filled jewelry, which goes through a process of mechanically bonding and heating the gold to the base metal.

While gold-filled components must include gold that is at least 1/20th the weight of the entire piece, gold-plated components can have gold that only makes up a very tiny percentage. As such, gold-plated jewelry items are more prone to tarnishing as well as having the thin layer of gold eventually rubbing off than similar products made from gold-filled. Because of the lower gold content, gold-plated items are generally less expensive than similar gold-filled products