Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jewels

Time for a new housekeeper

Miss Jewels

After 18 years I had to "request" my housekeeper to leave after it became apparent she was furnishing her house in Saron with my household items :hm:

This is really a task I hate.....looking for a replacement.

I'm just wondering if any of the forum members know of a reliable Afrikaans speaking lady, 25+ and who can cook, who might be interested in this position?

Please PM me:angel:

Cali Craft and Gems

I know the feeling... Our assistant in the PE house was also doing some underhanded affirmative shopping of her own, so I gave her the boot!

The one caregiver who is looking after my elderly and sickly father-in-law has been feeding her household with the Woolworths groceries his daughter has been buying for the old man!

Hubby wants "help" in this house and I told him I'd rather live in a pigsty than have some stranger in my house ever again! (not that our house is untidy or messy - just "lived in"!)

Little Miss Muffet

Where do you live in Cape Town?

Miss Jewels

I've sent you a PM

Where do you live in Cape Town?

svw
I know the feeling... Our assistant in the PE house was also doing some underhanded affirmative shopping of her own, so I gave her the boot!

The one caregiver who is looking after my elderly and sickly father-in-law has been feeding her household with the Woolworths groceries his daughter has been buying for the old man!

Hubby wants "help" in this house and I told him I'd rather live in a pigsty than have some stranger in my house ever again! (not that our house is untidy or messy - just "lived in"!)

Couldn't agree with you more CCG - takes some getting used to but we have learnt to adapt...

Jongleur

Speaking of things household in nature, my dearest set the kitchen on fire yesterday. I have never seen

anything like it before and our nannies both came in last night to clean up. We are fortunate that they

are reliable and trustworthy.

My house is a wreck. Wifey is quiet. Kids are at Granny. The Schnauzers wont eat. I often burn the living daylights

out of myself in the kitchen but rarely come close to burning it down. Must be a girl thing.

kyle2

My wife (Fiance' at the time) also nearly set the house alight, cooking chips with oil, oil spilt out onto the hotplate, flame ensued, fiance' flew plast me screaming her head off, locked herself in the bathroom, I go to the kitchen, take the pot off the stove, get a wet cloth and dowse the flames with it, laughing my head nearly off, I go to placate the rattled fiance' explaining that the best course of action would certainly not be to lock ones self in the bathroom with the burning kitchen between one self and the main exit.:biggrin:

Yep, definately a girl thing.

kyle2

Also lost R10000's worth of jewelry to a housekeeper, trust is a problem for me now with them, every important cupboard is locked while they are busy in the house, once bitten.............:notrust:

Little Miss Muffet

Some people have no conscience.

Cali Craft and Gems

I will tend to disagree on the "girl thing" about setting something alight...

When hubby and I were dating we decided to go away for the weekend to Van Staden's Resort. Everything was nicely organised and prepared (by me of course) so all hubby had to do was start the fire for the braai. I was standing on the opposite side of the yard and glanced up at him - he'd just been rubbing the grid with a wad of newspaper and was holding the paper in his hands in front of his tummy while he asked me something. Before you know it flames are quickly approaching his nether region and his clothes - he got such a fright that the paper was thrown one direction and he ran in the opposite direction! To this day we laugh about it. (it was also the same weekend he picked me up and "accidently" dropped me... was much lighter in those days too!)

But on the note of housekeepers, Kyle's post reminded me of my father's assistant while I was in my early teens - she helped herself to stacks including my jewellery (gifts from friends and family overseas so it was not "kiddies" items) and books. The only item that she took that left a void in our lives was the pair of earrings I'd received from a family friend and his wife who had been murdered by their own son - Victor Gems was his store in Main Street, PE.

Personally I think the worst feeling is when something with sentimental value has been stolen or damaged - all other common material items can easily be replaced, but never the special items. (Hubby's original wedding band was stolen when our house was burgled shortly after we got married. It was a rose gold band made up by our jeweller with the "family" gold that my grandparents had gifted to us.)

republikein

Dit is hoog tyd dat ons ons ronde handjies uit ons sakke haal en self werk! Ons afhanklikheid van "goedkoop" arbeid is skandalig. In die res van die wereld is dit ongekend. Die voordele van selfarbeidsaamheid is voor die hand liggend! Dit is 'n aanpassing, maar eerder 'n "deurmekaar" huis as 'n lee huis. (Alhoewel geen waarborg nie) En onthou, die Instituut vir Sekerheidsstudies het bevind dat 90%+ van inbrake na die tuinier/huiswerker teruggespoor kan word... maak self die keuse!

MsPlod
Speaking of things household in nature, my dearest set the kitchen on fire yesterday. I have never seen

anything like it before and our nannies both came in last night to clean up. We are fortunate that they

My house is a wreck. Wifey is quiet. Kids are at Granny. The Schnauzers wont eat. I often burn the living daylights

out of myself in the kitchen but rarely come close to burning it down. Must be a girl thing.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this - just glad no one got hurt! This is where having a fire blanket can really help. Not very expensive and can stop a blaze before it gets really out of hand. Shamepies man!

svw

Sorry to hear about that but in your wife's defense it is not a girl thing! - we were newly married when my husband also making chips had a massive fire in the kitchen and to cut a long story short we ended up at the emergency ward with him receiving burn treatment - recently he was busy with his bio-diesel and I looked out of the kitchen window to see him waving his flaming hands around...

Edited by svw

lilythepink

Sorry to hear you are again looking for staff, Miss Jewels. It's sometimes a nightmare trying to sort the grain from the chaff! Good luck.

Little Miss Muffet

This is why so many people are jobless.

Talking about fire- my youngest son had a fascination with fire and hubby bought a fire extinguisher

My son decided to make a fire in a Fisher Price toy garage.I was cooking so did not smell the fire until all three of them stood at attention in front of me and said that the room was on fire

I always said I would grab all my photo albums but I grabbed my antique dolls and got the kids out of the house.

I forgot the fire extinguisher but my neighbour came running with one and managed to douse some of the flames before the fire engines arrived

My house was a mess from plastic on the curtains,soot in every cubboard and ruined carpets from the water.

Hubby came home to a fire engine and a neighbourhood outside his house.

Edited by geewhizz

Miss Jewels

Ek stem....maar, wanneer jou "ronde handjies" reeds vol is as gevolg van verskeie besighede, is dit nie altyd moontlik om als self te doen nie. Derhalwe skep ons werksgeleenthede vir ander. "Goedkoop" arbeid is dit ook nie noodwendig nie. My huishulp het meer verdien as party personeel by Pick n Pay! En dan gee ek hulle nog medies, pensioen, skoonmaakmiddels en toiletware. Daar's min wat hiermee kan vergelyk. Probleem is, in party se aard, word dit nie waardeer nie en is die behoefte om te steel altyd daar.

Dit is hoog tyd dat ons ons ronde handjies uit ons sakke haal en self werk! Ons afhanklikheid van "goedkoop" arbeid is skandalig. In die res van die wereld is dit ongekend. Die voordele van selfarbeidsaamheid is voor die hand liggend! Dit is 'n aanpassing, maar eerder 'n "deurmekaar" huis as 'n lee huis. (Alhoewel geen waarborg nie) En onthou, die Instituut vir Sekerheidsstudies het bevind dat 90%+ van inbrake na die tuinier/huiswerker teruggespoor kan word... maak self die keuse!

Miss Jewels

I agree. Unfortunatley, new brooms always sweep clean, but then in certain cases, some of the "fluff" remains on the broom. This then accumulates and builds up.....then boom! Back to square one.

I've just done an interview with a lady from Kakamas and was very impressed. Fantastic references, highly presentable and cooking skills are superb. [

She starts tomorrow on a trial period of one month. The second interview is tomorrow for a lady from Namakwaland.

Local gals just don't seem to have it......

QUOTE=lilythepink;147744]Sorry to hear you are again looking for staff, Miss Jewels. It's sometimes a nightmare trying to sort the grain from the chaff! Good luck.

lilythepink

Holding thumbs for you, Miss Jewels. (Do you realise you've just hit 1000 posts on the forum??!)

JANDS

Ronde handjies? :wtf:....He he.....now I am chortling, cackling....and yes, apart from this moment's humour, I am going to remain mysterious on this one.:biggrin:

svw

Miss Jewels - thought you might enjoy this since you are in the market for a new housekeeper...

Jongleur
Sorry to hear about that but in your wife's defense it is not a girl thing! - we were newly married when my husband also making chips had a massive fire in the kitchen and to cut a long story short we ended up at the emergency ward with him receiving burn treatment - recently he was busy with his bio-diesel and I looked out of the kitchen window to see him waving his flaming hands around...

Getting my new kitchen after satisfying the insurance company that I have no idea what was going through wifey`s mind when

she decided to torch the kitchen. Have to repaint as well. Maybe the colour on the walls got on her nerves. Or the stove laughed at

her culinary efforts. Or the neighborhood was`nt quite her style anymore. I cant imagine why they ask me this stupid question. I was

asleep ! With my Schnauzers, I assured them. Seems like girls are prone to setting fire to things. You will not believe how many

people I know find this whole episode absolutely hilarious.

svw
Getting my new kitchen after satisfying the insurance company that I have no idea what was going through wifey`s mind when

she decided to torch the kitchen. Have to repaint as well. Maybe the colour on the walls got on her nerves. Or the stove laughed at

her culinary efforts. Or the neighborhood was`nt quite her style anymore. I cant imagine why they ask me this stupid question. I was

asleep ! With my Schnauzers, I assured them. Seems like girls are prone to setting fire to things. You will not believe how many

people I know find this whole episode absolutely hilarious.

That's good news - no doubt a smoke alarm will take pride of place on the ceiling of the new kitchen this time round :laugh:

Jongleur
That's good news - no doubt a smoke alarm will take pride of place on the ceiling of the new kitchen this time round :laugh:

Most definitely. And a sprinkler system. No more burnt offerings.

lilythepink
Getting my new kitchen after satisfying the insurance company that I have no idea what was going through wifey`s mind when she decided to torch the kitchen. .

Clever wife you have, Len! I want (not need!) a new kitchen but after the flooding of the lounge floor last year, I doubt our insurance company would welcome another claim for a new kitchen so I have to perish the thought!

Jongleur
Clever wife you have, Len! I want (not need!) a new kitchen but after the flooding of the lounge floor last year, I doubt our insurance company would welcome another claim for a new kitchen so I have to perish the thought!

I`ll send my wife to you. She has a proud history which will bolster your claim. If you have any Hydrogen

lying around or a few kilo`s of plutonium she can take care of your whole house. And neighborhood. Mind

you, the whole town! Better she stay`s at home where I can watch her. My Schnauzers bark their heads off

when she goes anywhere near the kitchen. Dogs know the arsonist type.