Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Why Are Some International Buyers So Insulting?

wayjen

For the life of me I cannot understand why some people think they have the *** given right to look down on others and why they think they are so superior because they live in a 1st world country.

We get a bid on an item from a Buyer in the USA, I think in California. Because I saw the bid early enough, Jenny took it to the post office yesterday to get the shipping costs so we were prepared for when the item came off. So last night she emails the Buyer giving him the price in $. He comes back with something like "give me the breakdown so I can decide if I want to buy from your country again or not". She gives him the breakdown and within minutes the payment is made, then comes "I want it wrapped like this and I want it wrapped like that because it is a vintage item". Jenny tells him that our next postage day is the 5th of September so now he asks "are we staying in a rural area".

His arrogance and insulting remarks have been noted and I am sick and tired on how some International people, and it seems in a few cases to be Americans, think that South Africa is still darkest Africa and we run around in loin clothes whilst living in grass huts and dodging lions.

JANDS

I am with you on that, though it amuses me more. Take his money, smile and wave goodbye with a middle-digit. I think you have full measure of who you are. Condescension usually means quite the opposite. Look at Table Mountain, breathe deeply, kiss Jen and cackle wildly with folks like me.

wayjen

That Yank is yanking the wrong chain that's for sure.

JohnBenn

"are we staying in a rural area"

You should say - Yes, and I have to walk 10miles to the nearest post office,whilst dodging lions around every corner.:whistling:

wayjen

That is how some of them think we live down here, we could tell him that we have a house in Florida and one in Cape Town with a beautiful view of Table Mountain but he might not know where or what Florida is.

JohnBenn

Reminds me of when I was about 17 and my nephew and one of he's friends came over from Holland.They did not leave the house for the first week,except by car, someone actually told them that lions walk freely around the neighborhoods.

JANDS
lions walk freely around the neighborhoods.
.....they do, accompanied by all manner of wildlife we never imagined back then.:whistling:

Not1CentMore

Wayne....

I am so sorry your Buyer was / is being such a 'bugger butt'. There is NO excuse for anyone, Buyer or Seller, to be less than courteous to the other party.

Yes, any of us can get on a 'rage' once in a while (most of you have seen / heard me when I was so mad I could 'spit tacks'), but most of us 'defuse the bomb' before it goes off. My 'venting' is confined to these four walls....and the Forum. With a handful of my Buyers, my tongue could use a good soap scrubbing, but they never have / will know how much I would like to jump through the monitor, grab them by the throat and choke the living life out of them. And, it is just not in SA.

There have been, again, very few Buyers, that bring to mind crawling out of a cave on all fours, slobbering like idiots with poop drops marking their direction of travel, and that includes here in the States, but they are treated with the same dignity and respect as my 'royal' Buyers.

Geography does not define one's character. That comes from deep within each and every one of us.

You are a man of character, Wayne (not to be confused with being a 'character'... one of your endearing qualities which we all love) and I am confident you will 'make note' (avoid in the future) and provide him / her with the same professional service you offer each of your Buyers.

On another note, I just put out a 'For Hire' sign. If you need me to put on my 'Slap Some Sense In 'Em' costume and take a trip..... 58f5a73e4966a_SMALL_12.GIF.8a78d0000845af59f981ab3e4f3aa319.GIF

Ruthie

JANDS

Ruthie is a gun for hire......he he....rubs hands gleefully.....now..lemme see

kyle2

Hey Wayne, you got a Granny with a gun on your side and on the side of the world where your arrogant yank stays! Winning combination if ever I heard one!

Wayne is a character indeed even when he isn't in charactor.:wink:

wayjen

Ruthie's going postal on their as(phalt).

JANDS

Asinus, a subgenus of Equus that includes the donkey and other asses. I used to have a donkey long ago. At first I asked people to kiss it because it was so cute. So many people refused that I started telling them in no uncertain terms: "Kiss my ass"

Not1CentMore
Ruthie's going postal on their as(phalt).

KickButt.gif

Ruthie

dstorm

With full apologies to Ruthie

A friend of mine lives in Australia. As we all know, there are many cities / towns / suburbs in Australia that have British names (like many cities / towns / suburbs in America).

This friend was once visited by a USA tourist. After a lengthy tour of Sidney and the surrounding areas, the US tourist remarked how extraordinary it was that so many Australian places should have AMERICAN NAMES!!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

Seeds for Africa
With full apologies to Ruthie

A friend of mine lives in Australia. As we all know, there are many cities / towns / suburbs in Australia that have British names (like many cities / towns / suburbs in America).

This friend was once visited by a USA tourist. After a lengthy tour of Sidney and the surrounding areas, the US tourist remarked how extraordinary it was that so many Australian places should have AMERICAN NAMES!!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

This reminds me a bit of when you are registered on ebays US site, and send a message to a UK member it gives you a warning that the member is registered on a different ebay site and may speak another language. I wonder if they realise that the folk in the UK speak English and if they realise where the English language came from?

svw
Reminds me of when I was about 17 and my nephew and one of he's friends came over from Holland.They did not leave the house for the first week,except by car, someone actually told them that lions walk freely around the neighborhoods.

:nuts:... Also experienced something similar.

Many years back we lived in Botswana and were camping in Kasane with friends from the UK - in the evening the kids were playing with the torch and running around the campsite when a guy came to warn us that earlier on in the day he had seen a leopard in the bush close to where the kids were playing. Thanking him we started rounding up all the kids when the one visitor from the UK chirped "I'm sure your kids should be fine they were born here, the leopard shouldn't worry them" :weird:

JohnBenn
:nuts:... Also experienced something similar.

Many years back we lived in Botswana and were camping in Kasane with friends from the UK - in the evening the kids were playing with the torch and running around the campsite when a guy came to warn us that earlier on in the day he had seen a leopard in the bush close to where the kids were playing. Thanking him we started rounding up all the kids when the one visitor from the UK chirped "I'm sure your kids should be fine they were born here, the leopard shouldn't worry them" :weird:

Ummmm,OK:weird:.

My ex-girlfriend's parents had a vacation home in a wildlife sanctuary, near Warmbaths,and there was also a leopard roaming around the area.Guess were I spent most of my time?:shock:.