Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Selling A Brand?

wayjen

Quite a while back we had a talk about someone buying out another Sellers "name" on BoB and I seem to think it was someone here on the forum that was involved.

Over the weekend I was chatting to a friend and the discussion came up about buying an existing company or brand and then I thought of what happened on BoB.

Can I buy another persons name and stock on BoB and if so how would it work?

Can a person start a company on BoB and once they hit some good ratings and sell that company/name to someone to run further?

Is it possible that a person can make a living by building up a company/name on BoB every few months and selling that to another person lock stock and barrel?

What would would the price be for the name and reputation on BoB and how would you determine what the cost of your stock is if you can change the prices as you see fit?

lilythepink

I vaguely remember Cuan telling us that, yes, we could sell our name and ratings. But I don't remember how one would work out a price.

Whether this would be profitable in the long run would depend on so many external factors.

These are purely my thoughts.

(Don't you dare sell! We need you around!)

wayjen

ha ha ha I wont sell just yet.

No but seriously, if you had to open an account and you had some stock and you got some good ratings and then you sold it on can that be a business in its own right like buying a house and renovating and selling it and moving on?

lilythepink

Yes, I would think so, Wayne. After all, we are running a type of business (or paying hobby) here on Bob?!

alloway65

A reputable Brand Name is a highly prized asset for a Company and can be valued at a very high percentage of a Companies "Book" value. But the Brand name is specific to a product or range of products.

With BoB the ratings are mainly given for the service performed by the person behind the Username not necessarily for the products that are sold under the Username.....but the products will play a part in the final determination of the ratings given.

Therefore, if the Username changes hands, with or without a specific range of products, the ongoing benefits of this specific Username will depend to a very large extent on the service provided by the new owner of the Username.

Just my view!

wayjen
A reputable Brand Name is a highly prized asset for a Company and can be valued at a very high percentage of a Companies "Book" value. But the Brand name is specific to a product or range of products.

With BoB the ratings are mainly given for the service performed by the person behind the Username not necessarily for the products that are sold under the Username.....but the products will play a part in the final determination of the ratings given.

Therefore, if the Username changes hands, with or without a specific range of products, the ongoing benefits of this specific Username will depend to a very large extent on the service provided by the new owner of the Username.

Just my view!

Nicely put.

Ok, let's make an example here. If I as wayjen sell my name and stock to pietpompies and money exchanges hands and I go live on an island somewhere and pietpompies makes good money and a good reputation along the way then all worked out fine. If pietpompies suddenly starts getting negatives and business suffers they have only themselves to blame yet I am still living it up and visiting Margate over Easter because it does not affect me in the slightest as I sold my business to them.

The Buyer in this case would have to maintain the standards set out by wayjen and at some stage get their own stock and make their own way in the business and at sometime in the future they could possibly ask for a name change from BoB.