Sign in to follow this  
FORUMDUDE

Stamp identification and aprox value? Please help?

FORUMDUDE

Stamp identification and aprox value? Please help?

[attach=config]3836[/attach]

ATA STAMP CENTRE

hi-it is queen vic 2d blue-it is damaged so is worthless except as a filler-if in good used condition still not a rare stamp with c/v around R500 AND SELLING FOR AROUND R100 ON BOB-THANKS NEIL

JohnBenn

It's a Great Britain 2d blue.Plate position P/H.(Look next to the head between the swirls,what number do you see?It looks like a 7 to me but I can't say for sure....that is the plate number.)

Unfortunately they are not worth a large amount used.

Your example has most corners missing,and a large part at the bottom,that lowers the price.

I can also see some rust at the top,that is actually a living fungus that will migrate over the whole stamp if it has enough time to do so.I'm not sure if people have soaked Pennys before,the ink might not be as fast as more modern inks.But if the stamp was mine I would boil the kettle,fill a cup and submerge the affected area for 2 minutes to kill the rust.Then I would soak the entire stamp in lukewarm water rubbing the stamp lightly with my fingers to get rid of most of the brown/rust.Then press it in a Desert drying book for a couple of days.(One can also use kitchen paper towels without any prints on them.By placing the stamp face down on one piece of paper towel and covering the stamp with another piece.Then you place a phone book and some extra weight over the stamp and towels and leave it for a couple of days to dry and press flat.)

But that is what I would do,I'm not telling you to do it.Maybe someone else can say if it's safe to soak a Penny.

dstorm

Hello JB

The late Lutz Heffermann (original publisher of the SACC) once told me that you can put Penny Blacks and Two Penny Blues in a washing machine at full cycle and they would still come out OK (Personally, I’ve never had enough Penny Blacks to justify a full load).

Keep well and regards

Jacques

JohnBenn

Really?I would not try that though,especially not a Penny....they are to be treated like new born babies:blink1:.haha.

But I did soak to remove a bit of rust from this Tuscany stamp,and lost no colour.On the other hand I've soaked +- 400 Australian KGVs and about 10 lost some colour,makes one wonder if the older inks weren't better.

Tuscany1.jpg.b40dd44722fd6e0daaf6c7d03675216b.jpg

dstorm

Hello JB

The older inks “weren’t better”.

Way back in the 1840’s, the British Post Office totally underestimated the British public’s zest to bypass the system. The government printed their stamps to be colour fast. However, many member of the public simply washed the stamps of the wrappers and reused them (as you might recall, the first Penny Blacks were cancelled with black postmarks).

In order to stop this practice, the printers later on started using “fugitive inks – to a lesser and larger extent).

The Greens and the Lilacs were the most successful.

Keep well and regards

Jacques