Sign in to follow this  
The Sweet

Shipping Charges

The Sweet

First i want to make it very clear that i do not want to start a war with this i want to know if there are other sellers as well as buyer that might think the same as I do.

Today myself and management had a long discussion regarding shipping cost and when is it overcharging or not. Now I had an idea and I truly think it can work for the buyer as well as the seller.

Why don't the IT guys place a box in the listing where the seller place the weight of the item that he is listing and then the buyer can also see the weight of the item he is buying, and say the buyer buys 5 items from one seller he will be able to see the total weight of the items and then when he goes to complete the order the bid or buy system is preloaded with an amount per Kg for the parcel. And say the parcel weighs 1 kg the cost will be R50.00 and that includes the price of the packaging material as well as the posting. It is only when a seller uses a courier that the cost of the courier must be placed separately.

As I stated in the beginning I am not trying to start a war or undermine management but i rather want to make sure everybody get the same out of the deal.

Feel Free to leave a comment or two about this and if you perhaps have better ideas to create a universal shipping cost system let me know and just may be both sellers and buyers can benefit from this.

Thanks

DIY PRODUCTS
Why don't the IT guys place a box in the listing where the seller place the weight of the item that he is listing and then the buyer can also see the weight of the item he is buying, and say the buyer buys 5 items from one seller he will be able to see the total weight of the items and then when he goes to complete the order the bid or buy system is preloaded with an amount per Kg for the parcel.

I may be going against the grain here, but I dont see chance to weigh all my products before listing. Also, its not always weight it can also be dimensions and if a seller has to weigh and measure dimensions of every item....Oi...

wayjen

Wonderful idea now just to work on the size of the parcel. Weight is not the only issue with regards a parcel you have a dimensions issue too.

You also have an issue with overseas Buyers who have no idea how our Postal Service works and they think you ripping them off. We just send a record to the UK and it cost just under R200 and we were lucky that the Buyer had no problem paying but you will get an International Buyer who will not pay because they deem that our costs are too high.

Edited by wayjen

The Sweet

Thanks for your input. And yes you are right dimensions also do play a role, but mostly it goes by weight at the post office. There are a lot of sellers selling small items and the the posting is R45 for the first item and say R20 for every additional item, and then the seller is selling 5 of each item and say he have 10 listings. Say the items sell for only R1 per item and I buy all 50 items. Say all the items fits in a stock 6 box which it a large box and it cost R30 to buy the box new. Add the R5 for sticky tape and let's it cost R100 to post the box with the 50 items inside. So the total posting cost for the seller is then R135 and lets add R20 for petrol so it comes to R155.

I will be paying the buyer R1025 for posting according to his shipping rules that means the seller will be making a profit of R870 just on his shipping cost.

And this is the problem i want to resolve, shipping must benefit both seller as well as buyer.

wayjen

Quit while you ahead. We have all had some bright ideas with regards shipping costs but that is all they were "bright ideas". Shipping costs will always be a sore point.

Weight and dimensions are what the PO uses and these change at each till and at each post office so you can never get that right.

If you think that a Seller is overcharging then report them or at least ask a question with regards postage.

Edited by wayjen

JohnBenn

Yup, as Wayne says above,just move along when you come across these sellers.They make their profits from shipping.

(Except if it's a seller from abroad.)

Seeds for Africa

The issue of shipping costs has been discussed ad nauseum on the forum. Its an absolute fact that some sellers make their money on shipping, and nothings going to change. I also do not believe that bob can realistically control shipping without making it frightfully complicated. They do seem to monitor it and my understanding is that penalties have been given out to sellers for ridiculous shipping charges. At the end of the day its the buyers responsibility to read the listing - which 90% of people dont - and if they are not happy walk away.

The Sweet

Actual I am also guilty of doing that and I did not do it as a way of stealing buyers money, but now I am in a bit of hot water for doing that, but i accept it and now I am trying to find a better solution that will benefit me as well as the buyer. But if you have a look at the sellers that sell on the crazy auctions then almost 90% of them are guilty.

The thing is I do believe that a thing like the weight can resolve the problem. If you take for example your normal domestic parcel dimensions can be 1 x 1 x 2 meters with a maximum of 20 or 30 Kg and believe me something of that weight would normally fit in that size box so mostly it is going to go by the weight of the parcel. And for that reason i do believe this weight thing can work.

DIY PRODUCTS
But if you have a look at the sellers that sell on the crazy auctions then almost 90% of them are guilty

Worry about YOUR business and forget about what everyone else is doing :smile: Goodnight, see yall on Snap Friday in the morning.

wayjen

What gets my goat is that if an item is cheap then according to Buyers the postage is too high and if an item is higher then the postage costs involved then people say you too expensive.

What gets my goat is when Buyers try compare Sellers and postage. NOT all Sellers pack and ship parcels the same way so please do not compare your last purchase with another Seller when it comes to postage costs.

If anyone wants to stop the practice of making money on shipping charges, then open up your own courier/postal service company and join the BoB team and come fetch everyone's parcels from their door and deliver them to the Buyers and charge everyone a flat rate.

DIY PRODUCTS

So true Wayjen! I always chuckle to myself when I send off a parcel that I pay more in shipping than the buyer did because I KNOW the buyer wont notice or comment, but hells bells if your parcel is econo and youve charged domestic...THEY NOTICE!!

qball
Thanks for your input. And yes you are right dimensions also do play a role, but mostly it goes by weight at the post office. There are a lot of sellers selling small items and the the posting is R45 for the first item and say R20 for every additional item, and then the seller is selling 5 of each item and say he have 10 listings. Say the items sell for only R1 per item and I buy all 50 items. Say all the items fits in a stock 6 box which it a large box and it cost R30 to buy the box new. Add the R5 for sticky tape and let's it cost R100 to post the box with the 50 items inside. So the total posting cost for the seller is then R135 and lets add R20 for petrol so it comes to R155.

I will be paying the buyer R1025 for posting according to his shipping rules that means the seller will be making a profit of R870 just on his shipping cost.

And this is the problem i want to resolve, shipping must benefit both seller as well as buyer.

That's exactly the problem - it SHOULD NOT BENEFIT the seller, shipping is shipping, it should cover the costs of shipping and packaging, not your time, loss of profit or a way to make money, which many sellers are doing. And please don;t tell me that you wanted to charge R1000 for shipping a R100 (actual shipping costs), that is daylight robbery, and DOES NOT benefit the buyer in any way. Use common sense, if someone buys multiple items from you and you combine and ship off one parcel, the traditional train of thought would be to offer the buyer discount on the shipping and reduce the charges to a reasonable amount, the KEYWORD being REASONABLE! Not R830 shipping for 40 small, easily combinable, non fragile items pets toys, that would be posted in one box... We are going to crack down on these sellers. If a seller charges R40 for one item we don't have a problem with that, the counter to counter rate for a post office parcel is around R32 for the 1st Kilo. It's when sellers try to milk the combining fees, when there are multiple items from one buyer, if someone buys 10 items (first item is R40, each additional item is R20) and the cost of "shipping" is R220, if the items are small, lightweight and can be combined easily, the actual shipping costs will be a lot less, but people are using this to rcover their financial losses on R1 auctions.

As we said to you yesterday, be reasonable when reporting other sellers! Look at the items they sell, are they small or large, heavy or light weight, fragile, do they require additional packaging etc. Reporting a user who has R40 for the first item and R20 for the next is not necessarily abusing the shipping costs.

Why should YOU be profiting from shipping? Plus your insurance was 5%... NOT ON!!!

We are getting tired of sellers trying to rip off buyers, we are contemplating putting in a flat 5% fee on all Crazy auctions including shipping charges... this will effectively increase your fees, something I would think you would all like to avoid!

If you cannot risk losing money on Crazy auctions simply don't list them, rather do buy nows or normal auctions with a starting bid amount you are willing to accept!

And just because someone else does it, does not make it right and does not mean you should be doing it either! Rather report high shipping charges to us and we will deal with the seller, but be REASONABLE when you do!

Right I am getting off my soap box now... before I blow a gasket!

Edited by qball
Spelling

lilythepink

I think the weight plays a significant role in the costs of shipping. We have sellers charging R50.00 to post a small canister of something and R20.00 per additional item when 6 of the canisters would weigh less than 1 kg and could post for under R35.00 plus packaging of, say, R10.00 = R45.00 for 6 of these items.

If shipping costs are higher there should be a clear reason in the listing for charging more, e.g. weight, size of parcel exceeds normal, etc.

wayjen

A paperback book that has 546 pages might cost more to ship then a hardcover book that has 245 pages for argument sake and weight and size make a big difference. The thickness in millimeters of a box can make a the difference between a bargain and "they ripping me off with postage".

JohnBenn

Well said Gball,thank you.

DIY PRODUCTS

Ag you know what, at the end of the day a MASSIVE box jam packed with items being shipped by the Post Office wont cost any MORE than R100, so up to R 150 is justifyable, but I think trying to reason charging up to 5 or 6 hundred rand is going to get alot of sellers tounge tied. I got a parcel yesterday where the seller paid R 34.80 for the shipping but I had paid R 400 odd. What bothers me is NOT the overcharging on shipping for R 1 auctions, its on Buy Nows, for example, I list an auction on R 1, below the auction shows buy nows for similar, often same product, the buy now cost is a mere R 40, so buyer feels thats the 'value' of the item and bids in below that to get a 'bargain' however if you visit the buy now that seller has listed the item below cost and will made a tidy profit through shipping anyways. So in the end, item values are being distorted and both buyer and seller are losing. As for not selling on R 1 auctions..Never...Its too fun! You can lose alot, but at times you can make alot. All that being said, I also used to overcharge on shipping, but can tell you honestly, buyers DO READ and now I am really experiencing the 'thrill' of an auction WITH my buyers, they are gratefull and much more accomodating and reasonable when they can clearly see that you are open and upfront and are willing to take the risk in order to potentially benefit them. In fact, the buyer was at times my 'enemy' but thats changed, and with that change comes so much more satisfaction and joy in selling in general. Off my soap box too now.

Miss Jewels

The moral of the story.....if you don't like the shipping charges, don't support the seller. If you think the shipping is excessive, report them!

The only issue I have is when the shipping charges vary according to auctions. On normal auctions a seller charges R40.00 postage per item, and offers combined shipping. When they sell on R1.00 auctions, their shipping is R250.00+ per item and no combined shipping. Irrespective of where you live...this is not an excuse in my books.

admin

153455_120824180641_cujo.JPG

Awww such a cutie pie, whats its name, Cujo :twisted::ninja:

wayjen

vat hom Fluffy!!!!!!!!!

dstorm
it SHOULD NOT BENEFIT the seller, shipping is shipping, it should cover the costs of shipping and packaging, not your time, loss of profit or a way to make money.

If you cannot risk losing money on Crazy auctions simply don't list them, rather do buy nows or normal auctions with a starting bid amount you are willing to accept!

Spot on!

Thank you very much for this strong letter. I hope all BoB sellers will take note.

Keep wll and regards

Jacques

dstorm

I forgot to add…trust that I am not off topic.

I attend many stamp fairs, attended by a large amount of buyers and sellers who are active on BoB.

What is amazing (from numerous conversations with numerous people) is that BidorBuy is being seen as a UNIT by many buyers (I had a brilliant deal on BoB, I got taken for a ride on BoB, I will never buy from BoB again, etc, etc).

Each and every seller on BoB is an advertisement (or a deterrent) to each and every seller on BoB. Please, let us always keep this in mind.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Nuvo Italia
That's exactly the problem - it SHOULD NOT BENEFIT the seller, shipping is shipping, it should cover the costs of shipping and packaging, not your time, loss of profit or a way to make money, which many sellers are doing. And please don;t tell me that you wanted to charge R1000 for shipping a R100 (actual shipping costs), that is daylight robbery, and DOES NOT benefit the buyer in any way. Use common sense, if someone buys multiple items from you and you combine and ship off one parcel, the traditional train of thought would be to offer the buyer discount on the shipping and reduce the charges to a reasonable amount, the KEYWORD being REASONABLE! Not R830 shipping for 40 small, easily combinable, non fragile items pets toys, that would be posted in one box... We are going to crack down on these sellers. If a seller charges R40 for one item we don't have a problem with that, the counter to counter rate for a post office parcel is around R32 for the 1st Kilo. It's when sellers try to milk the combining fees, when there are multiple items from one buyer, if someone buys 10 items (first item is R40, each additional item is R20) and the cost of "shipping" is R220, if the items are small, lightweight and can be combined easily, the actual shipping costs will be a lot less, but people are using this to rcover their financial losses on R1 auctions.

As we said to you yesterday, be reasonable when reporting other sellers! Look at the items they sell, are they small or large, heavy or light weight, fragile, do they require additional packaging etc. Reporting a user who has R40 for the first item and R20 for the next is not necessarily abusing the shipping costs.

Why should YOU be profiting from shipping? Plus your insurance was 5%... NOT ON!!!

We are getting tired of sellers trying to rip off buyers, we are contemplating putting in a flat 5% fee on all Crazy auctions including shipping charges... this will effectively increase your fees, something I would think you would all like to avoid!

And just because someone else does it, does not make it right and does not mean you should be doing it either! Rather report high shipping charges to us and we will deal with the seller, but be REASONABLE when you do!

Right I am getting off my soap box now... before I blow a gasket!

If you feel so strongly about it simple solution, cancel all R 1 auctions and problem sorted....guessing that will never happen, right.

qball
If you feel so strongly about it simple solution, cancel all R 1 auctions and problem sorted....guessing that will never happen, right.

Wow.... I loooove sarcasm!

You are right we are not going to cancel, simply put, because not all sellers are doing this... :smile1: it's a few rotten apples that spoil it for everyone else...

DIY PRODUCTS
if you feel so strongly about it simple solution, cancel all r 1 auctions and problem sorted....guessing that will never happen, right.

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Captain Bob
Wow.... I loooove sarcasm!

You are right we are not going to cancel, simply put, because not all sellers are doing this... :smile1: it's a few rotten apples that spoil it for everyone else...

Not from what I have read, it looks like this is a big problem and almost everyone is doing it.....