Sign in to follow this  
Hatti

yellowood ' water bench'

Hatti

:hm:i purchased a beautiful yellowood bench at an auction recently ...it is called a 'water bench'

could anyone fill me in as to what this means and what was the bench originally used for...it is so loverly and obviously been sat on for many decades as the wood is thinner in the middle and slighly bent

JohnBenn

Hi if you google "water bench",you should find what you are looking for and more.

Hatti

re: yellowood water bench

Hi if you google "water bench",you should find what you are looking for and more.

thanks ja i have of course tried that , but not had much luck , will try again...just thought perhaps there is someone in the know on this site, with regards to old africana furniture

JohnBenn

Is this the type?Something used by the early Afrikaners?

"Originally the water bench was a purely functional piece of kitchen furniture, reflecting the farm life of the Pennsylvania Dutch before the days of plumbing and piped-in water. Such benches were indigenous to the five counties back of Philadelphia which were settled mainly by that close-knit group of late seventeenth and early eighteenth-century emigrants from the Rhine Valley, originally listed as Dutch because they had embarked at Rotterdam.

Most water benches date from between 1800 and 1860 and still retain the Continental flavor of the German Palatinate. Their original use is indicated by their name. Existing as they did in the era of the old oaken bucket, the counter shelf held the wash basin and pails of fresh water brought from the well or spring. Other buckets and pails were kept in the cupboard below. Dippers and basins were put on the narrow top shelf which was fitted into scroll-cut ends eighteen to twenty inches above. Three drawers immediately below held soap and other small toilet articles."