Sign in to follow this  
Bellcoin

Coins coins coins

Bellcoin

Has anyone else seen the importance of details grading in your sets.

I have both a graded and ungraded ZAR collection of coins.

To complete a set of ZAR graded coins is relatively easy, but for some reason people are missing a golden opportunity to improve there collections by NOT using details graded coins. Details graded coins are inexpensive and a fantastic way of set improvement.

An example of mine - 1893 shilling AU details sits nicely in my 1893 set. To find this coin in AU,not details graded, is mighty difficult never mind costing a small fortune! Another one, 1896 shilling UNC details - most likely I will never be able to improve on the COIN. Minor surface hairlines on a rare and difficult coin do not phase me. The coin is far more important than the slab anyway.

I have seen a number of other collectors sets and see vf and xf coins which could be replaced by a far superior details coin. Never mind that some graded coins just plain look like cr*p!

Have collectors become so obsessed with having a grade assigned to there coins and in so are actually degrading the quality of there sets?

Anyone else have a thought or opinion on this?

xsiandreas

I agree. There is nothing wrong with having a rare date such as 1893 in a details grade. I have seen some details coins which should have received a grade and some graded coins which should have been in a details slab... as always one should buy the coin and not the holder. Also, not everything has to be slabbed.

Edited by xsiandreas