Sign in to follow this  
HYK

Fake batteries

HYK    10
HYK

Is the sale of fake batteries permitted on BoB?

By fake I mean AA batteries advertised as 2500mAh, when in reality they are 700mAh and AAA advertised as 1350mAh but are only 300mAh.

I have reported a number of such auctions to Community Watch, however no action was taken.

Edited by HYK
typo

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

I think I know which seller and product you are refering to. :rolleyes: I bought some of these "high powered" batteries some time ago - a new battery doesn't last for one full cycle on my automatic tin opener and you can visibly see the light dimming when used in a small torch. They do however work well in a quartz wall clock and can last up to about 4 months. I also use them in my wireless mouse and keyboard and keep a box of them on hand. They are pure trash - but, thankfully I only paid R1 for a box of them.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Yep, bought some of these myself, there was a thread about this a while ago, these batteries are really junk and are certainly no-where near the capacity advertised, I even contacted the seller and commented that she/he sent me duds, they asked me to send them back, the cost of doing so outweighed the benefit of getting more.

The best rechargeables in the world at the moment and they are rated as such are the UniRoss batteries which are packaged here in SA by UniRoss SA, they are also sold at most supermarket chains.

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10
Yep, bought some of these myself, there was a thread about this a while ago, these batteries are really junk and are certainly no-where near the capacity advertised, I even contacted the seller and commented that she/he sent me duds, they asked me to send them back, the cost of doing so outweighed the benefit of getting more.

The best rechargeables in the world at the moment and they are rated as such are the UniRoss batteries which are packaged here in SA by UniRoss SA, they are also sold at most supermarket chains.

And I also bought one of those battery testers..... shows everyone in the box is fine, but..... Three flashes of the cam..... replace batteries

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Goedkoop koop is duur koop:cool:

HYK    10
HYK
And I also bought one of those battery testers..... shows everyone in the box is fine, but..... Three flashes of the cam..... replace batteries

These testers only measure voltage, not capacity.

I have a Powerex charger/analyser that measures battery capacity.

I purchased BTY AAA's that are advertised as 1000mAh and are for sale from the following here on BoB:

AAA - BTY 1000mAh AAA Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Set (4-pack)..! for sale in Pretoria / Tshwane (ID:69890905)

AAA - 4 X AAA RECHARGEABLE Batteries 1000mAH for sale in Johannesburg (ID:69864200)

AAA - AAA X 4 Batteries 1000mAh 1.2V Ni-Mh Rechargeable Battery for sale in Durban (ID:70915642)

The maximum capacity on them is around 150mAh!

These BTY AAA's are advertised as 1350mAh, yet only give 300mAh max.

The AA's are just as bad.

These are claimed to be 2500mAh, when they barely reach 700mAh.

If someone sells 16gb Ipads, but advertises them as 64gb, would it be permitted here?

This is no different.

Edited by HYK

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately you must supply proof with your report from an independent third party tester, we cannot simply act on a report claiming the item is fake, we can request the seller for proof, but this is not always conclusive. You as the reporter must supply supporting evidence of this as the purchaser. If we receive confirmation of this we can act accordingly.

This would apply for any product listed on our site. Thank you.

HYK    10
HYK
Unfortunately you must supply proof with your report from an independent third party tester, we cannot simply act on a report claiming the item is fake, we can request the seller for proof, but this is not always conclusive. You as the reporter must supply supporting evidence of this as the purchaser. If we receive confirmation of this we can act accordingly.

This would apply for any product listed on our site. Thank you.

So if I buy a 64gb IPad and receive one that only shows 16gb, I will need to get an independent third party tester to verify that it isn't 64gb before you would take action?

My Powerex Battery analyser accurately shows the capacity of the battery. Why isn't that enough?

Yes, if the seller disputes my claim, then he will have to prove the capacity.

As it stands, these sellers are ripping off consumers, knowing that the average consumer has no way of testing the capacity and even if he did, he will have to bear the cost of returning the item.

How about telling all battery sellers that if the battery isn't the advertised capacity, they will have to refund both the price paid as well as the shipping costs?

As a service to the BoB community, I offer my services free of charge to test the capacity of any of these batteries.

qball    11
qball
So if I buy a 64gb IPad and receive one that only shows 16gb, I will need to get an independent third party tester to verify that it isn't 64gb before you would take action?

My Powerex Battery analyser accurately shows the capacity of the battery. Why isn't that enough?

Yes, if the seller disputes my claim, then he will have to prove the capacity.

As it stands, these sellers are ripping off consumers, knowing that the average consumer has no way of testing the capacity and even if he did, he will have to bear the cost of returning the item.

How about telling all battery sellers that if the battery isn't the advertised capacity, they will have to refund both the price paid as well as the shipping costs?

As a service to the BoB community, I offer my services free of charge to test the capacity of any of these batteries.

Yes, that would be correct, it would need to be verified by an independent third party, for example, Incredible Connection. That is our policy regarding making claims of items being fake.

That goes without saying - if a seller sells an item and it turns out to be different from what was advertised they have to either replace or refund and shipping costs if need be.

But like I said, we would require independent testing to substantiate your claims.

HYK    10
HYK

Thanks Qball for your replies; your help is appreciated.

I contacted a few sellers of batteries on BoB to find out if they can guarantee their batteries as genuine and would they refund shipping as well. I will post their replies soon.

Regarding the BTY batteries that are so common here on BoB, here are some links showing them to be fakes:

WATCH OUT - FAKE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES

eBay Guides - Beware Fake BTY Ni-MH rechargeable AAA AA Batteries

» Don't buy "BTY" batteries! How to Spot a Psychopath

BEWARE of fake BTY branded NiMH batteries on ebay - CMAC Forum

BTY 2500 mah batteries are FAKE

BTY 1000mAh Ni-MH Rechargeable AAA Batteries (4-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Tests results for the capacity of AA and AAA NiMH batteries

kyle2    10
kyle2

Thats amazing, the comments on some of these says it all, the test results are quite self explanatory too.

qball    11
qball

Thanks, we will be checking the links out.

JANDS    10
JANDS

Compliments HYK.....at 2500ma I was slavering and deciding.....glad I stalled and thanks for this one.

kyle2    10
kyle2
I have also fallen for this, bought some of these awhile ago: AA - FREE SHIPPING!!!!! 4 X AA Rechargable Ni-MH Batteries 3800mA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was sold for R62.00 on 12 Nov at 14:02 by kurtenae in Sasolburg (ID:28581439)

I threw them away within a week, utter rubbish. School fees done.

Those are them that I bought, CFL yellow Batteries, 2 would not even accept a charge, the rest lasted 20 to 35mins at 300mAh current draw. Totally useless. They should have lasted 12hours at that current draw!

qball    11
qball

We have taken a decision to remove these items from the site (BTY batteries), if you see them listed please report them to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za.

Thank you.

HYK    10
HYK
We have taken a decision to remove these items from the site (BTY batteries), if you see them listed please report them to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za.

Thank you.

Thank you very much for this service to the BoB community

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Lesson learnt, now only buy Uniross.

HYK    10
HYK

A quick word of caution to those thinking of purchasing these 1800 mAh AAA batteries.

I just tested them, their real capacity is under 300 mAh.

Apparently the highest available capacity in genuine AAA rechargeable batteries is around 1100 mAh.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
A quick word of caution to those thinking of purchasing these 1800 mAh AAA batteries.

I just tested them, their real capacity is under 300 mAh.

Apparently the highest available capacity in genuine AAA rechargeable batteries is around 1100 mAh.

Have you reported it to CW? If not, I think you should consider it. Or send a PM to qball - Cuan will get to it quickly.

kyle2    10
kyle2

It would probably be safer not to buy these or any rechargeable batteries on BoB, they are cheap and nasty at the china mall, seller thinks he/she is selling a quality item, meantime its rubbish. I buy my batts from the supermarket or reputable stores, been burnt by BoB's Batteries.

HYK    10
HYK
Have you reported it to CW? If not, I think you should consider it. Or send a PM to qball - Cuan will get to it quickly.

In order to get the item blocked on BoB, I would need a submission from an independent party affirming their being fakes. Until then, I can only warn prospective buyers.

CW were very helpful in ensuring that all the BTY batteries were removed from the forum, once they were proven to be fakes.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Thank you.

Just do a search on "bty" - right now around 19 offered on buy nows.

Also learned the hard way with these batteries, and now use only UniRoss and Energizer. Very satisfied with both and well worth the initial price. All my genuine rechargeable batteries have already paid for themselves many times over.

Thank you HYK for raising this issue and pursuing it!

HYK    10
HYK
Just do a search on "bty" - right now around 19 offered on buy nows.

I have reported them, Thanks.

I routinely do a search on Bob every week or two and remove all BTY's I find. They are immediately removed by CW.