Sign in to follow this  
manolo

Selling items not in your possession

manolo    10
manolo

I'm not sure how the BoB rules for sellers are interpreted so liberally, upon registering as a seller one is instructed the following:

"To sell on bidorbuy, you need to register. You can sell just about anything on the site, as long as the item can be sold legally and as long as you have it in your possession."

"Quick-Start Steps

• Make sure you have the item. You may list only the items you have in your possession."

All this is on How to Sell on bidorbuy for Beginners for all to see and read. How then is BoB accommodating middlemen, who are the central cause of the 'excessive postage' issue, when it clearly states you have to have th goods in your possession, even in China, Hong Kong etc. Placing orders from overseas and the like surely should not be permitted if the seller is based in South Africa, but the goods are overseas, clearly in violation of BoB policies.

Food for thought.

admin    0
admin
I'm not sure how the BoB rules for sellers are interpreted so liberally, upon registering as a seller one is instructed the following:

"To sell on bidorbuy, you need to register. You can sell just about anything on the site, as long as the item can be sold legally and as long as you have it in your possession."

"Quick-Start Steps

• Make sure you have the item. You may list only the items you have in your possession."

All this is on How to Sell on bidorbuy for Beginners for all to see and read. How then is BoB accommodating middlemen, who are the central cause of the 'excessive postage' issue, when it clearly states you have to have th goods in your possession, even in China, Hong Kong etc. Placing orders from overseas and the like surely should not be permitted if the seller is based in South Africa, but the goods are overseas, clearly in violation of BoB policies.

Food for thought.

Hi manolo,

They are authorized drop shippers as per the Listing Policy :

1.4. Listing of items where the Seller is not physically in possession of the goods for sale (for example listing an item as a "pre-order" or where the seller's shipment has not yet arrived). This excludes Sellers operating on a "dropship" or consignment basis where the Seller has a proven track record and an established relationship with a supplier that ships directly to their Buyers. Permission needs to be obtained from bidorbuy and approval is entirely at the discretion of bidorbuy.

Listing Policy

circe    10
circe

for example, what if u have a few rings that is your property, that is in a shop in cape town and u are in potch. will u be able to list it still?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

@circe - according to BoB rules, unless you are an authorised dropshipper you do need to have any item you sell on BoB in your possession and be able to post it as promptly as possibly after receiving payment. (You would need to get the shop in Cape Town to return your items before you advertise them on BoB unless you have prior permission from the hierarchy at BoB!)

circe    10
circe

hi

the rings is in my possession. that was just a example i used.

thanks for the feedback.

manolo    10
manolo

Thanks, Admin. So I am to assume that with dropshipping the goods are shipped directly from the supplier to the winning bidder, and should not come from the seller's address. This is a loophole I believe some sellers are using, claiming to order the goods from overseas yet they send the goods themselves from their Joburg or Cape Town address, having pocketed the high postage fees. That is not dropshipping. I've seen a few auctions where the seller states the goods are overseas, but will be shipped from Cape Town, for example, with a R300 postage fee.

manolo    10
manolo
for example, what if u have a few rings that is your property, that is in a shop in cape town and u are in potch. will u be able to list it still?

I personally wouldn't see this as a problem, the shop is yours, you have an established business but in different geographical locations and can prove it to BoB. Without getting too legally technical, 'possession' also infers you have full control (or relatively full control) of the property or thing in question, even through a third party.

JANDS    10
JANDS

Good point Manolo. Perhaps there is that moment of sanity where a thinking buyer weighs the odds and rule of trade reins supreme....it ends with the buyer's calculated risk. "I want it" or "No thanks". Personally I would love a rule that alliteratively states the following: "All buyers and sellers on Bob must be Lucid, literate and liquid." Sober would also be good but it started with S.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
I personally wouldn't see this as a problem, the shop is yours, you have an established business but in different geographical locations and can prove it to BoB. Without getting too legally technical, 'possession' also infers you have full control (or relatively full control) of the property or thing in question, even through a third party.

Yip 100 % correct.

kyle2    10
kyle2
Thanks, Admin. So I am to assume that with dropshipping the goods are shipped directly from the supplier to the winning bidder, and should not come from the seller's address. This is a loophole I believe some sellers are using, claiming to order the goods from overseas yet they send the goods themselves from their Joburg or Cape Town address, having pocketed the high postage fees. That is not dropshipping. I've seen a few auctions where the seller states the goods are overseas, but will be shipped from Cape Town, for example, with a R300 postage fee.

I also think these clowns need to be brought down a notch, R350 for overseas shipping is very excessive and if posted from within SA, anything more than R70 to R80 for speedservices(up to 1Kg) is ludicrous.

This type of seller usually creeps about on the R1 auctions, best to check and avoid anything with excessive shipping. The seller who is shipping from within SA after the supposed dropship, is very obviously buying their items in bulk from overseas and is both avoiding paying BoB their selling fees and covering their cost with the high local shipping.

circe    10
circe

the shop i want to use, if i use it, is my brothers shop.:bigsmile:. and if i do it the postage will stay the same. i sent a email to bob for permission to dropship. i also do not use speedservices as it is part of the postoffice in my own little strike.:sneaky: