Sign in to follow this  
Empirex

The Fisch

Empirex    10
Empirex

Anyone own one of these The Fisch ? South African made too..

republikein    10
republikein

Is it still necessary to check the diameter and width of Krugers (with this Fischer) if the weight is OK?

PBGold    10
PBGold
Is it still necessary to check the diameter and width of Krugers (with this Fischer) if the weight is OK?

I would yes, but I have never encountered a fake Krugerrand as yet.

Most dealers in S.A. have a Fisch test lying around in their office. Been in use for a few decades already.

I use one, and love it.

jwither    10
jwither
Anyone own one of these The Fisch ? South African made too..

I own the "wallets" which include the American Gold Eagle and Canadian Maple Leaf. The "wallets" I have cost about $300 USD and were shipped from within the US. I'm not sure how many fake gold coins are out there but at $1600, I consider this a must for any buyer of bullion.

And yes, I believe that the weight, size and thinkness should be verified, not just the weight. I'm not sure how someone would try to create a fake but the whole point is that if the weight were correct, either the thickness or diameter would not be. The reason for this is because the density of other metals is not the same as gold. So only if someone were able to create a mixture that was worth a lot less than gold but still meet these measurements could it fool this tool.