Sign in to follow this  
PITCREW

Would you post a parcel off to a client on POP only?

PITCREW

Hi everyone,

This is now the second time in the past week that this has happened to me.

Buyers are expecting parcels to be sent on proof of payment only, without funds clearing. They aren't mega high value items but are reasonably valued.. (R1000 +)

The one buyer (300+ ratings 99.71% positive) made immediate payment via BoB EFT and Std bank took their sweet time clearing the funds.

The second buyer (48 ratings 98% positive) made payment from a different bank and will most likely reflect in my FNB account tomorrow, but she needs the parcel posted urgently.

Is it not unreasonable to ask a seller to part with their goods before payment is secured or even put them in that position?

Miss Jewels

Hi Pitcrew. My terms and conditions clearly state that items will only be posted once payment has cleared my bank. I will not release any goods on proof alone. If a buyers requires the items very urgently and cannot wait for payment to clear, then they should rather make a cash deposit which takes a few hours to reflect.

PITCREW

Not a bad idea, I'll add that to T&C's... thanks

kyle2
Not a bad idea, I'll add that to T&C's... thanks

I don't send anything to anyone without payment reflecting in the BoBpay system, only after it reflects do I rate the buyer, the faster the payment the nicer the rating, silly I suppose, but it works for me.:idea:

Proof of payment slips, emails and sms's can be forged, don't trust them, trust only CIBA (cash in bank account).

PITCREW

Agree 100%. I just thought it really cheeky that buyers would even put me in that position in the first place.

Vinyl Lady Decals

No way will I ever send anything on PoP only, those are really easy to forge, in fact I already have normal everyday software that could be used to create one on my PC. All it takes is a little know-how. To even ask you such a thing is really not fair on you, I can guarantee that if they were in that position, they wouldn't do it either with the rampant fraud we have these days.

PITCREW

As a seller and buyer here on BoB, I would never dream of asking someone to send something without them being happy with payment clearing. If it was that urgent, surely they would go to a shop and pay the retail price.. or pay for SS postage and get it there a little quicker.

RISadler

One ... FNB (with whom I do not bank) has this nifty feature on their website whereby you can verify the PoP; SB has a 'phone number you can call; don't know about NedBank; and ABSA (with whom I do bank) probably hasn't the foggiest ...

If someone "needs" the item urgently, then I use these facilities.

Two ... I have a few regular buyers, some I do post the item well before payment is even made; others I wait until the money has cleared in my account (and not simply verified).

JANDS

No money, no honey..simple.

miraclebabycaw

I agree. Far too easy to forge. We had one try it on last week. Advertised a dining room suite. The guy calls withing minutes of the ad being placed. He wants it, but can we deliver. Not a nice part of town so I say no. He says ok, can he send courier. I say OK. Send him banking details. That afternoon, sms from him. He's with SB, we with FNB, can he send us POP and will then send the truck the same day to collect. Tell him not on your life buddy boy. Needs to clear in our acct. Strangely we never heard from him again.....

Seeds for Africa

It also depends on what you are selling and who is buying it. We are pretty lucky in so far as what we sell (seeds) isnt something the average criminal wants. Not sure that the average criminal worries about the state of his garden! :bigsmile: We have sent many parcels out on the basis of proof of payment and touch wood we havent had an issue so far. We also check the buyers trading history and ratings before we would send on a proof of payment.