Sign in to follow this  
Gold_Man

Hugely inflated jewellery values

Gold_Man

An ongoing bone of contention are the hugely inflated (relative to SA pricing) market related values / indicative market prices which some sellers tote on bidorbuy. Foreign currency-based values & pricing are used to inflate an item's "apparent" value in rand terms & to goad unseasoned buyers into paying more than they would, had the real value been specified. The end result, once a buyer has been burnt by these guerrilla tactics, has a negative impact on all jewellery sellers on bidorbuy: guilty by association. An idea to resolve this problem: seeing that this a South African site (& that all prices are quoted in the local currency), all values & denominations specified should also be in the locally-based. If foreign currency-based values & pricing were banned from the site, the playing field would be more even that it is now; bidorbuy would be a fairer marketplace for buyers & sellers alike. It's irrelevant to most buyers what the international value of an item of commercially-available jewellery is. Do we ever see a ring listed on bidorbuy, which is available at local chain stores for R300-, quoted as being worth 5 BILLION Zim $ / 20 BILLION Mozambican meticais? Of course not. Any comments re a viable solution to resolving this issue once & for all?

Gold_Man

I see that certain sellers STILL quote exhorbitant values - unabated. Any ideas re stopping this unethical exploitation of unwary buyers once & for all?

lilythepink

As a buyer, one has to learn not to be gullible. I've been fortunate not to have been caught out but as a regular buyer on Bid or Buy I would prefer to see more honest listings, too! Perhaps The Team (Admin) could look into this aspect urgently?

WATCHES 24 SEVEN

Good evening Goldman.

I also see the fat inflated MSRP Value Tonino Lamborghini watches and many more these days... They are for sale in SA for ZAR 1500 to ZAR 3500.But still the MSRP is ZAR30 000 Thats a way to enhance your listing and get the most for your ZAR.

The same happens with Solid Gold Jewelery.

Just want to say all new Bidders and buyers be aware for such Sellers.Double check before you buy the items.Go to Local Dealers and check prices.Most people don`t have time these days to do that.Just run on internet orders.Thats the easiest way to shop.

May be one day the system will change on Bidorbuy.The best website in Africa.Secondhand, new and Estate items might be devided from each other aswell.Just give time Bob is growing with a big passion at this moment.I personally think tere will be changes someday.

I also see that MontBlanc pen sets are selling with stationary.That you can`t buy under stationary.That`s not for sale in a stationary shop.You will have to buy from a Jewelery store."Collectors items"Maybee there will be a seperate section just for that Masterpieces.

So friend, keep on selling and stay possitave.Bob is Lekker.

Regards

WATCHES 24 SEVEN

Sakkie

:wondering:

Guest Guest

Hi everyone. Yes GoldMan is on to something but then again, as buyers, people should be aware that there are sites like Price Check where they can go and get an idea of the market values of most items before jumping in and bidding. What Lily said is true, people should not be so ignorant and gullible to just buy anything just because it has a high "value".

jsventer1

Hi everyone I strongly support the view of Goldman the Indicative market prices I see on BOB especially the jewelry and watches are reprehensible. For a fact you can find these items on ebay presently a seller states a market value of R1370 when the item in question is bought from ebay at $5.99 excl shipping, would you say this is exploiting the market? This is only 1 example from the same seller who has listed a number of items with exhorbitant pricing. Lets play fair to the buyers and not ;lead them down the garden path for a few extra rand.

windrider

I had learned to decrease the jewellery prices significantly when I take a look at listings like this. Unfortunately, a lot of the jewellery sold on BoB I don't see an equivalent in the stores. Many jewellery stores don't stock silver jewellery, and the ones that do stock such poor selection that I wonder at who would be interested in such boring poorly made pieces. Depending on the BoB seller the actual retail worth can be half of the quoted value or even a 10th of the value in some cases.

Watches strangely, are far easier. Type the model number into Google and I often find the same watch being offered at low prices. I usually use that to determine how much I'm willing to pay for the watch. For example, I'm currently winning an auction for a lovely watch. After typing in the product code, the lowest online price was $45 - this translated to about R310 exl shipping. The usual retail value of the watch as per several of the online storess is $128 - approx R900. I'm winning the auction currently at about R210 - I think I'm getting a bargain and the 'actual value' given in the listing is R2200. The whole research takes about 2-3 minutes, but obviously many buyers choose to be gullible.

I just think that if you are getting too much of a bargain, then you're probably overpaying anyway.