Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

It's not just cold, it's freezing!

Cali Craft and Gems

Update:

Just one word explains it all: SNOW

It is bitterly cold in town, and all the mountains around Oudtshoorn are white - Outeniqua range, Swartbergs, right through to Lady's Slipper in PE! The Swartberg Pass has been closed completely due to heavy snow falls which means one thing - I'm out of the office and on my way to go have some fun! Brrr....

booksallsizes

Aaaargh.... We are at a high at the moment of 1 degree, swathed ominous cloudy bits and NO SNOW. It's all on the damn mountains and not in the village *grump*. But the day is still young....

Cali Craft and Gems

We ended up driving up the Swartberg Pass (along with stacks of other people) and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The snow was as low down as where the tar turns onto the gravel road, so you can only imagine how thick the snow was at Skelmsdraai - awesome! It was snowing whilst we were up there so the kids (my friend's two) were ecstatic - as were the adults of course!

Poor hubby opted to man the shop whilst us girls went up so the youngest brought a snowball back down the mountain and coaxed hubby out of the shop and nailed him with it! :)

booksallsizes

Finally!!! Snow EVERYWHERE! My garden looks like fairyland :grin: And it's still coming down. Sooo happy!

Cali Craft and Gems

Great stuff! :)

We haven't got snow in town today but just stacks and stacks of RAIN! I managed to persuade hubby to go open the shop today so that I could "catch up" at home - now just to get my icicle fingers to start moving! LOL

lilythepink
Definiately something wrong with the seasons here - my Jasmine has started budding and the first few flowers are open - same thing with the Virginia Creeper, the first few leaves have started sprouting - this shouldn't happen for at least another six weeks AND YOU ARE EXPECTING SNOW!!!!!! If that cold finds it way North my plants are history :cry: ...

Our Jasmine is also budding! And it is wet and cold here in Grahamstown, too!

Cali Craft and Gems

Proof that it is has been more than just "cold" here this year - below are the pics from the 30m transmission tower located between De Rust and Uniondale. The accompanying story is in the link.

tower2.jpg.ece288538aa22d1e2cc43f4c832b893c.jpg

Oudtshoorn Courant | Opvolg: Klein-Karoo steeds seinloos

tower1.jpg.057b17f4d97862dab956afa1a57074f6.jpg

JANDS

Cali, I lived there for quite a few years. Had a little cabin in the mountains South of ODN, the sun would come up at about 10h30 in Winter and dissapear around 15h00 again. We spent our time wrapped like Michelin people, the air stinging the face. Summers were the polar opposite, 43 celsius dry heat. I adored Spring and Autumn, the times of mildness, the beauty there is difficult to describe. I found a celebration in the coming and passing of each season, despite the difficulties thereof.

Strength with your new house and may the place be good to you and your loved ones.