Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

It's not just cold, it's freezing!

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Wow - what a night!

This has surely been the coldest night we have ever experienced! Our lawn is white with frost, and the water in the birdbath and animal bowls is frozen solid!

Everything is icy to the touch - even my desk so my fingers are starting to pain they're so cold! I think I'm going to join the animals in looking for a sunny patch to thaw out! :)

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

I love this weather! All sparkly frost out on this morning's dog walk - they were leaping in an out of the river, cracking the ice on top - I even managed to walk over a huge frozen puddle and the ice didn't break, it was so thick!

Cali, I had terrible problems with using a mouse my first winter here. Hand would be blue and aching - bought one of those eco-panel heaters and put it on the wall next to my desk. They aren't effective enough to warm rooms here but it certainly helped with mouse-freeze-hand! Perhaps this would help you on those cold days of listing items...

Good luck! I was miserable my first winter here as was not prepared for such low temperatures that do NOT get better during the day, even when the sun is out. Now in my third winter here and have all sorts of heating expertise and just love the winter now. You'll get wily and find what works to keep you warm!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

We had a bitterly cold night in Grahamstown last night, too. But today is warming up nicely. All the pets are basking in the rather weak sunlight, some of them on their backs with tummies turned towards the sun.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Please hold thumbs!!! Temperature is dropping rapidly (from a balmy 10 degrees all day) and the skies are grey - I want SNOW!!!

wayjen    10
wayjen

I think today was the coldest this year so far and the ice cream van just came pass the house with his annoying music, I mean really, REALLY!!!!!!!!!!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I still eat ice cream even when our weather temperatures are almost zero!

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Sending some 100+ degree (heat index with humidity) weather your way. If you can 'mix it up' with some of the cold your side and 'shoot it' back this way.....

Ruthie

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks, Ruthie. Problem with houses in SA is we are not (well most of us) equipped with underfloor heating and double glazing. Most of our weather problems are really hot ones!

svw    10
svw
I still eat ice cream even when our weather temperatures are almost zero!

Same here - love a bowl of ice cream with HOT homemade chocolate sauce so that the ice cream melts on contact...yummy!

Cali Craft and Gems

Thick woolies dressing gown, scarf, jersey, slippers, blanket over my lap and paraffin heater going - and I'm still chilled! (even after coffee)

The heated blanket is on, winter sheets, feather duvet, and six blankets on the bed - and we sleep cosy - even the youngest cat Phoebe can't wait for us to get to bed. The other animals have their own blankets and beds in the lounge in front of the heater.

I'm going to rearrange my office over the weekend so I can get the morning and afternoon sun. I just stop and gaze out of our front window sometimes and look at the snow covered mountain in the distance and think what took us so long to move to this wonderful town? If you can get out of the city, go for it!

ODN is a fantastic little town... with great views which ever direction you look! We took a drive to the airfield after closing the shop today as the National Aerobatics Championships are on at the moment. There are major stock car races this Saturday too (Klein Karoo Kampioenskappe) and the George Cheese (and wine) Festival is at the end of the month. Always something going on here... and actually the light aircraft are doing night landing training so the planes will be going over our house for the next hour or so again. (TFASA - Training Flight Academy of South Africa has contracts with major airlines around the world for flight training - currently there are a few groups from the Far East in town - contracts are usually about 2 years each!)

At the end of September (27th to 30th) it is the Annual Scale Fly In at the Cango Flying Club - apparently quite an event - and one that we'd just missed by a day or so last year - the weekend we bought our house. (speaking of which, the PE house has finally been sold - going through next week to sign papers - finally!!! This means that we can start planning the work that has to be done on the ODN house - including a sunroom, and converting the current garage and laundry into a cottage, and getting a double garage and workshop up on the other side of the property, getting sliding gates put in, rip the carpets up, redo the bathroom and kitchen, and new cupboards, lights and paint throughout!)

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
Please hold thumbs!!! Temperature is dropping rapidly (from a balmy 10 degrees all day) and the skies are grey - I want SNOW!!!

You will get your wish this weekend.

Just taken the dog for a short walk-The cold really makes you feel alive-the icy wind biting through your garments,your cheeks tingling as the blood rushes to the cold spots to try and warm the skin,eyes tearing and your fingers like pieces of ice.

Brings out the neanderthal in me!!! I want to hunt,make fire and reproduce!!!(last part wishful thinking,oh well,it aint going to happen,so i will have to be happy with a hot cup of coffee instead:sad2:)

neil

Edited by ATA STAMP CENTRE

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes
You will get your wish this weekend.

Yay! Thank you Fairy Godmother Neil! I woke up this morning, looked out the window and sulked. No snow :evil: But the sky does look promising...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Congrats on getting your house in PE sold, Cali! So happy for you.

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks Lily - it's been a long wait!

Woke up this morning to a very cold house, yet it is not "that" cold outside. It is overcast so the day could go either way - it could either remain dull or it will clear up to another gorgeous day and freezing night.

Anyway, off to the shop... it's my morning "on duty" again whilst hubby catches up with some of his errands. He has been an absolute star by manning the shop most of the week so that I can catch up in the office / BoB at home.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I am also doing duty in our shop today. And then we have full-on visitors for the week-end (Festival ends on Sunday!)

svw    10
svw

You chaps are all freezing down your part of the country - we haven't even had ice on the roof this year or frost in the garden thankgoodness - surprisingly the grass is still green - we have had the odd chilly spell here and there but daytime temperatures still 20 to 25. I would love experience snow in winter!!!!!!

Cali Craft and Gems

It's remained overcast and dull today, and I have ended up spending the whole day in the shop - rearranging the shelves and window display so that I can get a tall bookshelf in over the weekend - need extra display space.

Oh well... BoB takes a back seat - again! LOL

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Righty! Snow DEFINITELY forecast for Saturday. Stocked up on wood, Rayburn has been started up. Doggie blankets washed and piled up on dog beds. Cats already just lumps in the bed. Other half on his way from PE so that he doesn't get trapped on the wrong of Nieu Bethesda. I'm ready for the snow-down :grin:

svw    10
svw
Righty! Snow DEFINITELY forecast for Saturday. Stocked up on wood, Rayburn has been started up. Doggie blankets washed and piled up on dog beds. Cats already just lumps in the bed. Other half on his way from PE so that he doesn't get trapped on the wrong of Nieu Bethesda. I'm ready for the snow-down :grin:

Definiately something wrong with the seasons here - my Jasmine has started budding and the first few flowers are open - same thing with the Virginia Creeper, the first few leaves have started sprouting - this shouldn't happen for at least another six weeks AND YOU ARE EXPECTING SNOW!!!!!! If that cold finds it way North my plants are history :cry: ...

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn
Definiately something wrong with the seasons here - my Jasmine has started budding and the first few flowers are open - same thing with the Virginia Creeper, the first few leaves have started sprouting - this shouldn't happen for at least another six weeks AND YOU ARE EXPECTING SNOW!!!!!! If that cold finds it way North my plants are history :cry: ...

Maak 'n kombersie:grin:

Yup. The weather is definitely strange,but I'm not going to complain.The heat we had for about week is great(Keep the snow away:push:).

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Don't worry too much :smile1: We're really high up in the mountains here so extreme cold is just the way we roll...

You're lucky - nothing (and I mean NOTHING) grows here in winter. All we have is some fruit trees (no citrus - waaay too cold), loads of pepper trees and other exotic monsters, roses and irises - our winters are too cold for most plants. The succulents (those that aren't endemic - which is most of them) get their squishy bits all frozen and they die too. I really miss having a garden with variety... I've forgotten what jasmine looks like :worried:

But the roses are just magnificent in summer, the whole town is a carnival of colour then - so that's at least nice.

svw    10
svw
Maak 'n kombersie:grin:).

LOL....tried something similar to that a couple of years back - ended in disaster - with me balling my eyes out!

To cut a long story short I collect succulents. During the rainy season - I tried rigging up a retractable awning with the involuntary help of my sons using white shade netting - worked reasonably well until we had one almighty hail storm whilst I was out. End result the "awning" could not hold the weight of the hail which collapsed and froze many of the succulents.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur

I received mail today warning of flash floods, bitter cold and so on. Apparently 2 massive

high pressures south of us are moving to a developing low in the far North western interior.

The same system caused flash floods in 1968. We hope it passes soon.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes
I received mail today warning of flash floods, bitter cold and so on. Apparently 2 massive

high pressures south of us are moving to a developing low in the far North western interior.

The same system caused flash floods in 1968. We hope it passes soon.

And PE is pretty water-logged at the moment, as it is. Same here - that's why I want SNOW - no more flooding - had a gutful two years ago and the place has still not dried up...

Holding thumbs that PE doesn't get hit badly...

Cali Craft and Gems

My best friend is here in ODN with her two kids - supposed to be an overnight only on Monday, but has been extended as everyone is waiting patiently for the snow. As I am sitting here all I can say is that it is bleep-bleep cold! I won't be surprised if the birdbath freezes over again tonight as the temp for sunrise is expected to be 2 deg celcius and our maximum will hover around 10 deg if we're lucky!

One thing I must admit though about ODN is the very pleasant day time temps - way better than PE as we are minus the wind! Everyone should be heading back to PE tomorrow, but with the poor weather / floods expected, it could go either way. (I'm trying to persuade my friend to go back to PE once the cold front has passed - the kids are all for it, but she is concerned about the house and the pets even though someone is looking after everything for her).

PS. This is my "best friend" from early high school that is renting our PE house - we'd lost contact for 20 years and have been catching up for the past six days non-stop! Never realised how much I missed her! :)