Sign in to follow this  
xsiandreas

$15 million hoard of Iron Age coins discovered

Empirex    10
Empirex

Pretty cool selling point!

Reg Mead and Richard Miles found the clump inside a massive block of soil in a field in Jersey, U.K., and it's thought that the coins were from Armorica, modern Brittany, and Normandy. The coins, which are in surprisingly good condition, are thought to have been buried at a time when Caesar was campaigning through Gaul. The owner likely buried the coins in an effort to hide them — never to be seen again, until now.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Look for the Kruger millions:idea:

wayjen    10
wayjen

I have family there, I wonder................

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
I thought I share this link: Two men using metal detectors discover hoard of 50,000 Iron Age Celtic coins

What a great coin find!! Now I also want to start searching! Unfortunately, there no chance of finding something like this in South Africa.

Not entirely true - in the earlier part of the previous century, a pot of 2200-year old Roman coins was discovered in Pondoland. Some say the Phoenicians sailed around Africa many centuries before the Portuguese and could have left/lost some coins here.

Vasco Da Gama, in 1498, also found some Venetian Gold Sequins dating from the 1200s on our coast.

You just never know!

Pierre

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Ancient sequins? Don't tell me there were belly-dancers in those far-off days! (Sorry couldn't resist this comment!)

jwither    10
jwither
I thought I share this link: Two men using metal detectors discover hoard of 50,000 Iron Age Celtic coins

What a great coin find!! Now I also want to start searching! Unfortunately, there no chance of finding something like this in South Africa.

This is another reason to believe there are hoards (whether small or large) of both South Africa Union and ZAR that are not publicly known. If these exist for coins of this age, they almost certainly exist for many or even most others from everywhere. And by hoards, I am also referring to high grade hoards because there are quite a few in MS such as the 1754 Mexico Pillar dollar (over 400 MS in the NGC census) and a Roman stater from some province outside of Italy (dated to the first century BC) which surfaced about 10 years ago. Not sure how many of those were found but I used to see them regularly on eBay for awhile.

Empirex    10
Empirex

Empirex does a search for Metal Detectors on Bidorbuy :grin: