Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Jewellery category

Cali Craft and Gems

Off and on for the past few weeks I have been trying to go through the jewellery category to see if there is anything "nice" for myself, and end up getting frustrated and not going further.

No fault of BoB's, but a big no-no to the sellers! Plated items listed under the "solid" sections (gold, silver, etc) and there is little or no mention of the plating in the listing title - one has to read through the listing for the tiny details.

To me this is very unfair - firstly to the honest sellers who are trying to sell the genuine product (which ends up lost in a sea of "fakes"), and to the unsuspecting buyer who assumes that the product is solid gold or solid silver considering the item is listed in the category.

Surely if the item is plated this should clearly be stated in the title of the listing, plus it should not be under the specific category in the first place?

MsPlod

Hear hear!!

Asha Craft Jewellery

I strongly agree! I have a very big problem with "fushion gold" listed under solid gold, since this is clearly a plated item.

Lukeness

It's bad enough that they use off terminology like gold fusion, 'gold', gold toned or even worse gold "as seen in fashion magazines" to try and get around the fact that it is plated. Listings should be clear!

Little Miss Muffet
Off and on for the past few weeks I have been trying to go through the jewellery category to see if there is anything "nice" for myself, and end up getting frustrated and not going further.

No fault of BoB's, but a big no-no to the sellers! Plated items listed under the "solid" sections (gold, silver, etc) and there is little or no mention of the plating in the listing title - one has to read through the listing for the tiny details.

To me this is very unfair - firstly to the honest sellers who are trying to sell the genuine product (which ends up lost in a sea of "fakes"), and to the unsuspecting buyer who assumes that the product is solid gold or solid silver considering the item is listed in the category.

Surely if the item is plated this should clearly be stated in the title of the listing, plus it should not be under the specific category in the first place?

I dont think Bob can do anything about it unless you report the problem Janet.You are the one who is seeing this practice and I think they rely on us to report a problem

I also think it is time for the antique jewellery section to broken up in to vintage beads,brooches,gold,silver etc.

lilythepink

Ruthie's suggestions about the antique jewellery section being properly sectioned is an excellent idea!

Little Miss Muffet
Ruthie's suggestions about the antique jewellery section being properly sectioned is an excellent idea!

That was me Janet not Ruthie

Cali Craft and Gems

In reply to Geewhizz - I have reported this several times already for the various sellers' I've come across, but it still remains the same.

Sadly in a case like this, I would much rather go to a walk-in store instead of buying online as the proper jeweller at least has to be 100% honest and up-front about the items!

miraclebabycaw

can't agree more. I used to prowl the jewellery section for nice things..but don't go there anymore at all. I'm so tired of wading through junk listed in the wrong categories. It's so hard to police I guess, but is annoying for buyers

Little Miss Muffet

I saw a negative rating (Can't think where it is now) from a buyer who bought a ring listed under "Gold" The seller did show the markings on the ring.18ct (GP) which is gold plated.

I could not care whether the GP was photographed or not because he/she did not say it was gold plate.

I think it should be specifically pointed out.

I felt really sad for the buyer because the ring sold for something like R1600.

The seller gives him/herself a bad name and chases buyers away from Bob.

If we can't respect the platform we trade on then how can we expect potential buyers to respect it.

If that was Ebay the person would have been out on his ear.

Some people do not have a conscience.

Edited by geewhizz

svw

I have also noticed when searching for gemstones - this is not the sellers fault - there should be a separate section for listing simulates. Just try searching for sapphires or diamonds you go through pages and pages of simulates - which is fine if that is what you want but if looking for the real deal - enough said...............

Little Miss Muffet

Who needs diamonds anyway??? I would rather buy an air ticket to the UK and go and visit my sons

and the markets ofcourse. This South African dump has nothing. I am in a cynical mood today.:rolleyes:

Jongleur
Who needs diamonds anyway??? I would rather buy an air ticket to the UK and go and visit my sons

and the markets ofcourse. This South African dump has nothing. I am in a cynical mood today.:rolleyes:

Only today. I am cynical every day.

lilythepink
That was me Janet not Ruthie

Sorry, geewhizz! Truly sorry. But remember that a rose by any other name smells as sweet? (And forgive me for another Old Timer's mistake!) :grin:

svw
Who needs diamonds anyway???:rolleyes:

Meeeee........well actually not diamonds - can't afford those, but I am after some sapphires - always on the lookout for that extra little something special.

lilythepink

Keep an eye on Miss Jewels' products, svw! Her prices are excellent for quality products.

Cali Craft and Gems

And I was caught hook, line and sinker on a Crazy auction last night from a seller whom I thought was reputable!

Title states: NATURAL GEMSTONES!!!***STUNNING NATURAL LABRADORITE IN STERLING SILVER EARRINGS

Having dealt with this seller in the past I trusted her, and only later once the listing was closed did I see in the "small print" in the listing that it is: ".925 STERLING SILVER OVER JEWELLERS BRASS"

If the TRUTH had been stated in the title, then I would not have even bothered looking at the listing! This is very dishonest and misleading, and I see a few sellers are doing the same thing! :(

Really frustrating!

MiemsJewels

Any suggestions from you ladies to what the Gold coated, silver coated etc should be named/called/listed under?

Please we should like to have advice here! :)

Edited by MiemsJewels

Miss Jewels

I list all my costume jewelry rings under "other rings" and the genuine items under the appropriate section, e.g. gold, silver.

Cali Craft and Gems

In reply to Miems - all I could suggest is that if the item is plated, then this should be in the title - example - "sterling silver plated earrings", etc. not just "sterling silver earrings".

As mentioned before, many sellers who are knowingly offering plated items are listing these items with zero mention of the plating in the title under the silver or gold categories. This to me is highly unethical and misleading! I was almost caught out before on a gold chain listed as "gold" under the gold category (no mention of plating in the title) but that little voice nagged me to check the entire listing and lo and behold it was a plated item!

svw
............. (no mention of plating in the title) but that little voice nagged me to check the entire listing and lo and behold it was a plated item!

As our friend seated in a trolley with the glass eye and an addiction to cake always says - read the listing first before clicking the mouse...

Cali Craft and Gems
As our friend seated in a trolley with the glass eye and an addiction to cake always says - read the listing first before clicking the mouse...

Granted, but if you "trust" the seller based on past experiences, you tend to overlook the entire listing and judge the "listing" by it's "title and pic"...

MiemsJewels

Okay, yes that is what I meant Calli :biggrin: Then my listings are correct...........I hope:biggrin: Thanks