Sign in to follow this  
RAG Auctioneers

Expensive mistake

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Sharing this experience so others can learn from our expensive mistakes.

We use the Courier Guy as our courier - they use a prepaid system.

The Courier Guy driver usually fills the "details" on the waybills for us. (Been using him for 3 years!)

Local parcels go overnight, and non local parcels go road freight.

Received an invoice yesterday from the courier, R5500.

The driver marked all 20 parcels "overnight" by mistake - about half of them not local. :notrust:

Buyers only paid R1500 in shipping for those 20 parcels.

I may as well take R4000 cash, put it in the toilet, and flush the chain....

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin
Sharing this experience so others can learn from our expensive mistakes.

We use the Courier Guy as our courier - they use a prepaid system.

The Courier Guy driver usually fills the "details" on the waybills for us. (Been using him for 3 years!)

Local parcels go overnight, and non local parcels go road freight.

Received an invoice yesterday from the courier, R5500.

The driver marked all 20 parcels "overnight" by mistake - about half of them not local. :notrust:

Buyers only paid R1500 in shipping for those 20 parcels.

I may as well take R4000 cash, put it in the toilet, and flush the chain....

If you flush 4K down the toilet, wouldn't you loose even more :whistling:. I suppose there is no way to dispute the charges with the courier?

Mustlovebooks    10
Mustlovebooks

Ouch! That is absolutely terrible! R4000 is a lot of money. With the overnight service already provided, I suppose you can't query it.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

I agree with MacMuffin - there must be a way you can dispute the charges - the mistake is theirs - not yours!!

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I agree - it is their mistake! I've had a similar experience with Fedex Supaswift before where they collected a parcel where I had only asked for a quote. I was going to CT the following week so decided to collect the parcel myself instead as the fee quoted (and charged) was over R900! I took up the matter with management the day the parcel was delivered stating my case and he reduced the amount by half.

In business - especially with regards to relying on another company for service - trust is a major issue! You could state that due to your long business history with their establishment, you trusted their staff to do their jobs accurately and did not find it necessary to "chase" him up or to check his work. Say that you are very disappointed in their actions and subsequent account, and that if they had known your procedures from the last 3 years, then someone on their side should have picked up this critical mistake and queried it before processing the parcels.

It is worth a try chatting to someone in charge - stand your ground and emphasize the trust side of things. Good luck!

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

lol @ MacMuffin. Definitely shouldn't flush anything. :-)

I just spoke to the operations manager and he is going to talk to the bigger boss.

Will update when and if he phones me back.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

If its the clients (your) responsibility to complete the waybill and the driver is doing you a favour by filling in the details on the waybills, sadly I think you may be liable for the charges.

Thanks for the heads up, as we also have a friendly driver who is always willing to fill the details in for us - and I hardly ever check before signing.

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers
If its the clients (your) responsibility to complete the waybill and the driver is doing you a favour by filling in the details on the waybills, sadly I think you may be liable for the charges.

Thanks for the heads up, as we also have a friendly driver who is always willing to fill the details in for us - and I hardly ever check before signing.

Hi seeds,

I think you may be correct.

He has filled it in for us for 3 years.

Very unfortunate.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
lol @ MacMuffin. Definitely shouldn't flush anything. :-)

I just spoke to the operations manager and he is going to talk to the bigger boss.

Will update when and if he phones me back.

Holding thumbs for you! Even if they can acknowledge the issue and offer to share the costs - it would be better than the present circumstances!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I am also holding thumbs, touching wood and everything else for you RAGS. Hope they sort things out for you even if, as MsPlod says, you have to share the costs.

svw    10
svw

Ouch! R4000 is a huge mistake - I would say this is an error on the courier companys side you asked for one thing and they delivered another and if anyone should be held responsible it should be the staff member who did not listen. If I was the courier company I would refund you a credit on your account and give the staff member a warning - seems like his mind was not on his work that day.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Do courier men have their minds on their work any day or are they just in a hurry to deliver and get home? Sometimes I wonder ...