Sign in to follow this  
SA COINAGE

ERROR COINS - 2012 Gautrain Fly Press Tickey's with JHB Overstamp/Mintmark

SA COINAGE    10
SA COINAGE

Edited by SA COINAGE

Timeless Value    10
Timeless Value
It has been pointed out that there are some errors/varieties with the coins. Perhaps weak strikes or a broken die?

1: Normal full JHB

2: Error JHb (small b)

3: Error jHt (smaller J and the B looks like a t)

We got two at the show, 1 & 3.

After we picked our coins up there was still about 100 that needed to be overstamped. It would be interesting to know if the last one that was stamped might have no JHB. It seems strange that the die would wear out this quickly?

Please share with us how your tickey looks. And if anyone could shed some light on what went wrong with the die, that would be much appreciated.

I will post pictures tomorrow of our two tickey's.

This is very interesting. I have three tickeys. Mine are 1,2. The third one looks more like jHb (small j and small b). Another quality issue at the SA Mint?

kyle2    10
kyle2

I was in the line waiting next to the flypress on Sat waiting for the doors to open, they were continuously adjusting the press as they went, probably a matter of getting it right as they went along?

My Tickey also seems to be a light or poor strike near the JHB.

I would not worry about it, at only 300 minted some of the people who bought them are already selling or have sold them for between R500 and R700.

PBGold    10
PBGold
I was in the line waiting next to the flypress on Sat waiting for the doors to open, they were continuously adjusting the press as they went, probably a matter of getting it right as they went along?

My Tickey also seems to be a light or poor strike near the JHB.

I would not worry about it, at only 300 minted some of the people who bought them are already selling or have sold them for between R500 and R700.

Darn, I gave mine away. Women...

SA COINAGE    10
SA COINAGE

IMG_0643.jpg.f5750505f5ce081ee913dbfe39c90d94.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg.83ee01fd55e6f3e44acea8e708aed4c3.jpg

Edited by SA COINAGE

ZARBOY    10
ZARBOY

Hi Guys

Flypresses are a type of screw press that is operated manualy or by power through a friction drive. When powered they are called a Power Screw-Press. The flywheel or weight arm attached to the screw produces the driving force. The force of stopping the flywheel would produce a theoreticaly infinite force, however it is limited by the stretch of the heavy frame.

The differences so called varieties/error coins is not the wear of the die but the actual force of the Flypress.

So we can safely say these coins are a typical Weak Strike Error on the Flypress Mintmark:

Weak strike Mintmark is a usual error that appears when the mintmark die does not produce the desired infinite amount of force as per the way the die to flypress relation was set up to be. This can also take place at the beginning as to adjust the Flypress and die to reach the desired infinite amount of force. Weak strike error mintmarks are also referred die adjustment strikes or even trials when they are destroyed.

Theoretically. If an infinite amount of force (the ultimate unstoppable force) meets an infinite mass (the ultimate immovable object) then an infinite amount of energy is released.

These coins should be worth less then the actual perfect strike coins, but looking at the way some dealers market poducts this will actually sell for more than a normal full strike coin and flypress mark.

Regards

Thomas van der Spuy